NAFO 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violione

Sir Loin of Beef
Reaction score
OK, EOM is over so now we need to start to get busy with NAFO 2010.

While I was at NAFO08 or NAFO1, I was asked to attend meetings with the NAFO1 staff so that the planning for 2010 would have continuity. I have some things to pass along and 2 years is not that far away! But at least we need to start the ball rolling.

I know that in the various states of consciousness you were all in, discussions were taking place about NAFO2010, so we need to establish a NAFO 2010 committee and a secure area on the forum to have discussions, else all conversations are superfluous! (Oh God, I am starting to sound like Iggy) I think that starting now, we should slowly start to build to the event, here are a couple of ideas:

Icon contest - the designer of the NAFO2010 icon will be announced and the art work will be the official icon for the event and paraphernalia (hats, shirts, bongs, etc...)

NAFO 2010 Slogan Contest - Winner gets something from the Swag list and slogan is used on paraphernalia (hats, shirts, bongs, etc...)

Sponsor Recruiting - Lets get Yamaha to "cowboy up" this time! (Ooh, get Yamaha to invite photojournalists to this event to do reviews on the FJR and a couple of other models for the 2011 model year, good idea huh?) Invite Road Runner magazine up as well, they'd eat this up!

Attendee's Survey - Let's find out what people are looking for. I know that we would like to put the emphasis on riding but there are your poseurs and wankers who like to attend these things too! You know what they say about assume-ing anything? If we ask the questions from every owners group, we would have a better idea of what will make this a very successful event. (Jason's current surevey on the EOM thread is great; we need to build one in "the new NAFO2010 area" of the forum) This also gives a better idea of where we need to be looking for a host city/town and time to scout routes and map them out.

So how about it, who's in for the ride?

Violione

I agree that we need to start talking pretty soon. It will creep up on us fast! Hopefully!

I'm up for being on the committee for NAFO 2010.

BTW: The feedback that we have received from the EOM attendees has been great. I will give it a little more time and then extract the data and share it with the organizers. Everyone please take the opportunity to bump that thread so we can hear from as many as possible.

Thanks,

JW

Well, I'm in for helping out any way I can. I still feel like a schmuck for the lack of swag :( but Heidi has convinced me it was a sign of the times and a slumping economy. So count me in for doing what I can. I can help JW out at a registration table or anything else.

Something I could suggest is maybe see if Killboy ( Daryl Cannon ) or one of his cronies would be willing to come up and do some professional shots or something. NOT SAYING that this past years photog did a bad job, just a thought.

Are we going to try to shoot for Lewisburg for NAFO homebase? Or somewhere bigger? I agree where others have said a good deal of groundwork has been laid in Lewisburg, only thing is can we secure enough room there? We *might* be able to overflow into the Hampton behind it, but what about the dinner?

Sorry if I jump topics. It's 3am and I've been at work for 12hrs :dribble:

Wayne, Jay & I have been in some discussion about this, already. I... & I think Wayne have already done some computer research as to venues that will hold as many folks as we'd need to plan for.

EOM has taken place in Lewisburg for 2 years, already. We picked up quite a bit of knowledge as far as how to handle things & we will still have support from the folks who have the large meet experience. I think that it is time to carry our knowledge to a new venue. & don't get me wrong... I absolutely adore WV... the riding that it offers & the people, also. I have what I'd consider, good friends there. I also feel that the venue has been great. I just have a been there, done that feeling for EOM.

If it happens that 2009 EOM happens again in WV, so be it. I absolutely think that NAFO2 should happen elsewhere & we should highlight some of the things that east coast riding is known for... such as the Smoky Mountains, Dragon, Cherohala, etc.

I was in touch with Tim (TWN) days before his death & we were discussing this event. I felt that we needed to base room # loosely on what EOM is doing now & what NAFO1 did. He suspected that we'd need to make room plans for roughly 185 rooms.

As far as icons on bongs, etc... that's fine with me & that is a great idea. I think that Duane did a hugely outstanding jobs with the shirts this year.

EOM has always had emphasis on riding & I think that it should stay that way & I do not mean that other events that are non-riding shouldn't be planned. They absolutely should. I just feel that the emphasis should be on riding... the way that east coast meets have always been.

I am not suggesting something that I pulled out of the atmosphere. This has been our roots from the beginning of EOM.

Jay, thanks for the sharing of info. & I do think that you are correct... discussion needs to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I could suggest is maybe see if Killboy ( Daryl Cannon ) or one of his cronies would be willing to come up and do some professional shots or something.
I have mixed feelings about that... I like the idea & then I don't, also.

I know. Sometime the idea is good, but other just kinda meh

Although, if me move somewhere near the Dragon, Cherohala (sp?) Tail of the Dragon.com has a calendar that we can post we will be in the area. Maybe they would come on their own accord?

If you were to ride the Dragon, someone will be there anyway. At least, every time I have ridden it, my pic showed up on a web site or two.

Scab and the Gang,

If the Dragon and the Skyway are a consideration, then we should consider the possibility of having this event during the week and not on a weekend because of the LEO's heavily patrolling these fine roads on the weekends. But this is getting way ahead of our selves at this point.

Speaking of getting ahead, is there a timeframe of the year we are considereing for NAFO? Summer, early fall?

I will help any way I can.

I Like the idea of laying off WV next year, but MAYBE using it in 2010 or maybe back to Boone. Slappy had some great rides there. And lewisburg has 10 rides already made up and in 2 years I may have done 5 of them so I havent BTDT like Heidi, jim or Jeff as the scouters/ride masters.

For 09 EOM I am thinking Chattanooga as a home base. I will head up calling hotels ans such. I have saved my notes from TWN that he sent me in conversations we had.

You can hit the dragon easily from there, North Georgia MTs and the "triangle" of Tennesee. One prob with this for me Is I don't know if I will have the time to scout routes.

Wayne, David and I had a few conversations about next years EOM while in Lewisburg. We have a few ideas but are looking into them before we spill the beans.

On the subject of NAFO:

Personally I don't think Lewisburg is a great choice for NAFO. I think it would be better suited in a larger city where there are other things to do as well as good riding close by. If people come and aren't looking to do a lot of riding, the merry-go-round at Wal-Mart is going to get old pretty fast.

As far as having NAFO in range of the dragon, yeah there is heavier LEO presence on the weekends but you can ride the Dragon at the posted speed limit and have a blast. Not to mention that there are Tons of other roads around that area that are as good with little or no traffic.

Food for thought..

JW

A point to ponder; Any serious discussion about the 2-year-away NAFO, here, in the staff section of EOM-8, may be pointless. The number of people that can currently view this section is limited. Unless, of course, we are plotting a hostile take-over of the NAFO festivities and have a "screw what everybody else thinks" attitude.

Not to say that talks should not begin, but this particular section is a bit exclusive. If much is decided here, reception elsewhere may not be favorable to others. I'd hate for us to cut off our nose to spite our face.

Maybe we can have a new area made where all the staff from other meets as well as NAFO staff can view? That way all participationg people can be involved.

A point to ponder; Any serious discussion about the 2-year-away NAFO, here, in the staff section of EOM-8, may be pointless. The number of people that can currently view this section is limited. Unless, of course, we are plotting a hostile take-over of the NAFO festivities and have a "screw what everybody else thinks" attitude.
Not to say that talks should not begin, but this particular section is a bit exclusive. If much is decided here, reception elsewhere may not be favorable to others. I'd hate for us to cut off our nose to spite our face.
Ig PM'd me & asked if we'd like a separate section away from 2008 EOM. This is only discussion for future staff & not for widespread consumption... that is unless you want 300 planners.

Actually, the future staff was a consideration. Perhaps there are others that would like to serve in some capacity? I just think it a bit presumptuous to exclude the possibility.

I may be off base here, but thought I'd throw it out there. If I am a lone voice on this, I'll shut up now.

I am assuming that this will be publically discussed at some point.

TWN approached me right after EOM07 and asked if I'd stand up & help plan NAFO2. I told him yes, absolutely. Weeks later he then told me that since we wouldn't have a rep at NAFO1 (which it turned out that we did), the east coast wouldn't be considered for NAFO2.

Fast forward to quite a few months later... I think that it was Ignacio that PM'd me from NAFO1 asking me if indeed, I would stand up as an organizer for NAFO2. They needed to know so that it could be announced where the next would be taking place. I am not sure if that was the same PM that also went to Wayne. We both accepted the task, though & we have had a small amount of discussion about it.

That part wasn't public... but I think that some discussion will go public at some point if folks want to be involved. That is cool with me.

It is nice to see that there are folks that "want" to be involved... 'cause for awhile, most did not.

Should it be publicly discussed? Something we should throw out to the general masses? Or try to keep it to hush hush?

I definitely think to a point, yes. I think that once there has been some establishment done, then really probably not. Isn't that how you put on a party or is everyone supposed to know all points of the party? Perhaps I'll ask Ig how they handle it.