NAFO 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowshoe??

Definitely unique offerings and dead center of the best riding of the Allegheny Plateau. May be a better kept secret than some points farther south, but the scenery is damn sure not gonna disappoint AND I SAY AND the temps/humidities in late summer are way the hell and gone more tolerable.

All kinda stuff happens up there in the summer, the night life thrives.

For sure minimal trappings of a "big city" but definitely appeals to the urban crowd looking for a pleasant, non-primitive escape (and though I'm admittedly deranged that just might a selling point).

OK, I am reading all of this, hence the post about planning and places to discuss; public vs. closed board discussions; wow didn't mean to start a dog pile! :) But maybe some new threads started that keep the "planers" on task? I read about four different things in this one thread and all I was trying to say is "Where do we go from here".

Just saying

I guess we start with asking Iggy how to proceed from here. Although I believe that Heidi & Wayne may have more to add. NOT SAYING they are the ones in charge but I believe that they may have more info.

I've been in touch w/ Ignacio about NAFO2. The following text is what I received from him pertaining to how the staff for NAFO1 was chosen... not saying that this is how we need to do it, either... but I do agree that a lead person who makes decisions needs to be. I see this as a "too many cooks" situation.

This is the conversation between us:

Ig, I am assuming that staff will not be the same as EOM08 as TWN originally asked me. There is discussion started in the EOM staff section by Jay Bulger about NAFO2, though. It seems that there is talk about picking NAFO staff... should discussions be public, etc. Maybe go over & glance at it & tell me what you think?

I'd appreciate some insight as to how you guys went about handling staff selection. Was it a public discussion... did you have certain folks that you asked to be involved, etc? I remember somebody posting looking for folks to cover the shifts of watching the bikes... but don't remember any staff discussion past that.

Should we put a post in the EOM section asking which folks would like to be involved, etc?

Appreciate the insight, Heidi

Iggy says:

Staff was very similar to what we had done for WFO-6, but it was different. Mainly our fearless leader made an important call and didn't invite back one person because they didn't do much (but they still came and were cool about things) and he also invited several other new folks including other regional reps. He also added a couple of people as the event unfolded.

Mainly, I would suggest you all pick a single "rally master". They'd be the person that makes the ultimate decisions, but they do the recruiting and say who's on the team and who's not. Before Tim passed away the meeting we had thought it was going to be either you or extrememarine. I liked Jay when I met him, but I didn't get a sense of his leadership skills.

The other thing Tim did was actually have a bit of an executive team early on (meaning him, me, and Warchild) to get things done like deciding on a venue and negotating terms, deciding event fees and budget, starting registration, etc. He did this knowing that some of the regulars would be involved later (like registration, swag, vendors, etc.) and the larger group didn't really get fired up until a couple months before the event. I happen to think deciding a venue with a large committee can be tough.

I would absolutely recommend a NAFO 2010 area and would set it up. I just need somebody to say, "I'm the leader!" and who gets initial access.

And, I do volunteer to help with budget if you want.

Also, something I'm already working on is trying to form an organization, possibly an LLC for NAFO. It got put on hold with Tim's death, but I'll be working this fall to make that happen. With an organization it could mean the org. signs a contract and not an individual. Last NAFO and prior WFO's I've been using my personal bank account and Tim put down his own Amex. We haven't advertised it and did it out of community service, but it gave us the willies.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Heidi, that was a good call and helpful reading.

I've been involved with many large school events, scheduling, decision making, but nothing that requires contract signing for Hotel and Banquet services. What Iggy was saying about the "team" being a select bunch is how I am accustomed to see/doing large events getting started. Then the "Generals" adds their Majors then it's Lieutenants and so on as tasks are needed, and you keep those people on that task only (keeps them focused) much like you all have Scab do the MC-ing of the Swag. (It's about all he's good for any way) :) Just kidding David!

My personal concern should I step up in some capacity (I would like to) is the timing issue. Like Jeff said a couple of posts previously, once school starts up, I am screwed, glued, and tattooed to my school job and it doesn't ease up until late October. That is why I was non-existent during August and September for EOM staff on the forum.

I think that if some Concepts/Threads are defined early on like Venue, Theme, Hotel arrangements, Route scouting, Banquet Facilities, Fees, Web site, ect... then planning and our other jobs (that pay the bills) won't interfere. Input is great but to many cooks will spoil the soup, some decisions need to be made by the Generals and/or the Commander and Chief.

Jay

So... like.... is this discussion getting 10' pole marks all over it? :whistling: Well, here is a stick poked at you folks to try to get things moving.

The last time that I spoke with TWN, he suggested that at some point "soon", the staff for NAFO2 should be announced. Well, at least the core group, anyway.

So, how are we to decide who the lead should be? A vote or what? Is there anyone who feels strongly about leading NAFO2 or being part of the core group?

It seems that there are a few folks throwing ideas out but I am wondering who is serious about leading this meet.

I do have interest in heading this up, but there are areas that I am not completely comfortable with & will require some guidance... you know, since there is no manual on how to do it, or anything. I'm quite sure that Wayne is also interested & I'd be glad to be under his command, also... but he has bigger fish to fry right at this moment. & not saying that it'll always be that way, either.

So, in order to start "somewhere", could I ask the folks that are presently involved to please show your level of interest in helping &/or organizing this meet? or suggestions about how this should be handled?

It seems to me that just throwing up a post & asking if someone would like to head up NAFO2 isn't the way to go, here. We'd have no idea of the person's ability to handle this. Also, past experience has told me that folks are not apt to step up to do something of this magnitude... or as I call it, take one for the team.

One of my thoughts is we should pick someone from the inside if possible... that has already dealt with taking part in executing a fairly large meet... use the folks who already have experience if they'd like to be involved & then post to the outside looking to complete the team.

Heidi

Well, I'm interested in helping anyway I can. Whomever is in charge, may direct me to do what they feel I can best do to contribute. If that means doing the door prize begging again, I'll give it another shot. Or if leading a team of schwag beggers would be better, I can do that. If it means being there early to help Jason or whoever sign people in, I'm there. Just let me know what I can do to help.

....I'm posting...not intending to get in the middle of EOM affairs.....or NAFO 2010 affairs that will be led by EOM'ish folks. I do want to add an observation of what kind of qualities I think make a good NAFO rallymaster....some abilities that Tim had in spades.

I think "easy-going natural leader" are the three or four words that crystallize the essence of a style that worked very well. Tim definitely didn't do everything, but he made it so a dozen folks that probably wouldn't last a season of volunteering together could get a ton of stuff done.

He initially picked sort of a two-tier group.

The initial three were he, myself, and Warchild. Pretty much between us....we checked out venues, decided budget & fee structure, picked a venue, and signed the contracts. There was some discussion, but that small group made probably the hardest decision for NAFO 2008. (BTW, I'm working to make that last part last onerous for you all and intending to setup an LLC or something to reduce individual exposure with some of the surplus funds).

After that he made his pick of staff for discrete areas of coverage....committees if you will (i.e. parking/security, swag/vendors, registration, banquet, budget, etc.) and mostly picked up whoever did WFO the year before and added a few others including representation from the other events.

Things got hotter and heavier about 3 months before the event...probably much like they have for EOM.....and much like they were for WFO....just scaled up. Details that were different included a few more things we setup for NAFO because of discussion on the forum and streamlining registration because of the increased number of people.

My suggestion if you'd read this far and aren't tired of me on your thread yet:

1) Who wants and will stand up to lead it?

2) Is everybody remaining comfortable with that and willing to follow them through the end of the event knowning you'll take care of whatever you sign up to?

3) You do have resources (consultants if you will that did the first event that will help (me on budget/registration/a little on hotel contract negotation, Warchild on web, etc.)

Hope it helps...I'd like to think Tim's sitting on my shoulder telling me what to type...with a Scotch in his hand. ;)

Matt

Well, as professed by myself... I'm not a natural leader. If that's what would make a good rallymaster, then I should probably step out now. ;)

I'm ok with what folks want to do... but I do think that things should get moving... Even if it's just a little tiny bit.

Believe me... the procratinator in me wants to say... "fuck it, we'll deal with it later" :lol:

Believe me... the procratinator in me wants to say... "fuck it, we'll deal with it later" :lol:
BTW, one could actually do that....until say....after EOM 2009. It shouldn't take 2 years to complete. Get a venue locked in by the end of 2009 and have 6-9 months to prepare logistics of the event.

That isn't how I was told that it should be handled by NAFO1 fearless leader. He said that at least the core group should be decided soon. I did not take that as "we are planning it NOW"... It took it as getting core group together to start kicking info & ideas around.

So, you do not agree? I'd definitely be ok with throwing it on a back burner. Please understand, I am following previous advice for a successful event.

I've already been looking into possible venues to hold as many folks that will possibly be attending. Wayne too, he's already been looking.

So, you do not agree? I'd definitely be ok with throwing it on a back burner. Please understand, I am following previous advice for a successful event.
Actually, you're right. There was a natural transition from WFO-6 to NAFO 2008. The groups were similar and in a way it was a dress rehearsal. So, maybe it is best to think about in terms of planning EOM 2009 as the first of a two year progression.

Here I am jabbering again as the interloper with admin rights......I'll be quiet if anybody wants me to....I'm wearing too many hats to be healthy. ;)

Here I am jabbering again as the interloper with admin rights......I'll be quiet if anybody wants me to.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm glad for your input.

I'm always open for adcive. And especially from someone who has had a hand in planning a large event like the first NAFO.