NAFO #3 - Rally in the Rockies!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap! Just realized I can't make this one. I will be at the Utah 1088 instead... Going to Canada will have to wait till September..

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap! Just realized I can't make this one. I will be at the Utah 1088 instead... Going to Canada will have to wait till September..
We'll miss your smiling face, Sam.

If you don't mind, we'll all have fun in your absence.....we might even think of you and wonder why you'd pass this opportunity. :sarcasm: :wackosmiley:

:bleh:

We'll miss your smiling face, Sam.

If you don't mind, we'll all have fun in your absence.....we might even think of you and wonder why you'd pass this opportunity. :sarcasm: :wackosmiley:

:bleh:
Registered for the Utah 1088 before I realized the dates clash with NAFO. Maybe I will see some of you on your way back from NAFO.

ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET!.......

ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET! ARE WE THERE YET!.......
I just parked the bike for the season 2 nights ago (ugh.)

I thought I mentioned it here, but I guess it was in another NAFO12 thread; I'm planning trying to weasel 3 weeks off (and if I don't get it, I'm taking it anyway) and riding up to Prince Rupert then onto Haines AK via the ferry ($120 + 200 for 2 person berth, so $220 if I/we can split it). From there, ride up beside Kluane Ntl Park and onto Whitehorse YK, then down through the IceFields Parkway (Jasper/Banff).

So the invite is offered for anybody else wants to tag along for the Haines AK portion. No UTurns! I'm not piloting the Ferry!

The jury is still out if I'll return back to Ontario if I'm still here in June. Chances are no. Gonna start a new life in BC, theirs nothing for me in Sudbury anymore.

I thought I mentioned it here, but I guess it was in another NAFO12 thread; I'm planning trying to weasel 3 weeks off (and if I don't get it, I'm taking it anyway) and riding up to Prince Rupert then onto Haines AK via the ferry ($120 + 200 for 2 person berth, so $220 if I/we can split it). From there, ride up beside Kluane Ntl Park and onto Whitehorse YK, then down through the IceFields Parkway (Jasper/Banff).

So the invite is offered for anybody else wants to tag along for the Haines AK portion. No UTurns! I'm not piloting the Ferry!

The jury is still out if I'll return back to Ontario if I'm still here in June. Chances are no. Gonna start a new life in BC, theirs nothing for me in Sudbury anymore.
Now that sounds like fun. Well, all except for the 'parked the bike 2 nights ago' part, and maybe that other part about not returning. In any case I'm looking forward to June, 2012.

Bungie, where did you get those prices from?? And what about the cost for the bike? I sailed that route (from Haines to Prince Rupert) last summer and I paid a lot MORE.... :eek:

Bungie, where did you get those prices from?? And what about the cost for the bike? I sailed that route (from Haines to Prince Rupert) last summer and I paid a lot MORE.... :eek:
Alaska Marine Highway

Motorcycle passage: $212 (each) Prince Rupert - Haines.

Outside Stateroom with facilities: $178

Total =$ 390

Split on the Stateroom: $89

Total: $301

Hey, I was off a little, I was going from memory.

It'd cost WAY more than that to ride + accomodations (unless your camping). I plan on camping as much as possible on the trip down from Alaska. Unless it's raining. Or if it's cold, or I'm eskered of bears. Apparently, you can camp on the deck of the ferry. Watch the scenery scroll by, see some wildlife. Catch up your sleep.

Petey, sir <waits for a roundhouse that would make Chuck Norris pee his pants>, were all still waiting for at least pics of your Alaska trip.

Petey: I double checked Steve's computations above and they are correct per my Alaska Milepost. Bungie obviously operates a calculator much better than he can read a map! Also, where in the Hell are your Alaska Photographs and Ride Report. Mach Schnell, Bitte!

Bungie: You are right about being able to set up your tent on the aft deck of "The Blue Canoe". Make sure to bring along three rolls of duct tape, to secure your tent to the steel deck; it can get really windy on the stern. Board early and place your tent as close to the top deck overhang as you can, they have a yellow line painted on the deck which starts the tent placement area.

A lot of tenters set their tent up when the vessel is naturally still at the dock and place their tents as close to the stern as possible for the view. Bad idea, the wind shear coming off of the top deck at cruising speed constantly shakes those tents!

Bungie: You are right about being able to set up your tent on the aft deck of "The Blue Canoe". Make sure to bring along three rolls of duct tape, to secure your tent to the steel deck; it can get really windy on the stern.
Aft? Stern? Listen to you talkin' all nautical like and standing up on your two hind legs. Let me guess, you did a stint on a ship named the 'Raging Queen' to Bangkok...

I believe it's only the one ferry that allows you to camp on the deck. If cost is issue, you can get a stateroom in the interior with no facilities or window. I dunno, but describes jail to me. I'll spring the extra bucks.

Bungie: You are right about being able to set up your tent on the aft deck of "The Blue Canoe". Make sure to bring along three rolls of duct tape, to secure your tent to the steel deck; it can get really windy on the stern.
Aft? Stern? Listen to you talkin' all nautical like and standing up on your two hind legs. Let me guess, you did a stint on a ship named the 'Raging Queen' to Bangkok...

I believe it's only the one ferry that allows you to camp on the deck. If cost is issue, you can get a stateroom in the interior with no facilities or window. I dunno, but describes jail to me. I'll spring the extra bucks.
In the five years I was using the AK Ferry, I always sailed home on the "Matanuska"; I don't even know if she is still on their vessel roster. I always rode my bike up to work for ALYESKA and came home so filthy rich I always got a stateroom. But, the Matanuska rooms had facilities and windows.

What Ferry are you riding on? Besides Fairy Bust, I mean!

In the five years I was using the AK Ferry, I always sailed home on the "Matanuska"; I don't even know if she is still on their vessel roster.
From what I've been able to gather, the Matanuska is still in service and it's port of call is Bellingham WA. For sure that is one you can camp on. The others I'm not sure about. I believe their are 3 or 4 different ships sailing out of Prince Rupert to the Juneau/Skagway/Haines area.

I don't believe you have much of a choice which ferry you end up on (unless you board in Bellingham) unless your willing to wait for a specifics ships schedule. I'll take whatever ship is closest to my arrival time in Prince Rupert. I plan on spending the 42 hours on board sleeping, sight seeing and resting up for the journey ahead. The scenery on the voyage looks spectacular if it's not socked in with fog!

Steve, have I got a house you can rent.........

Complete with detached 12x30 garage for all the motorcycles you will need out here

Complete with detached 12x30 garage for all the motorcycles you will need out here
barb, you will have to string a rope between the house and the garage so Bungie won't get lost! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

But does it come with a blonde bombshell?

To bad theirs no work in that area, but there is in Victoria, but the commutes a bit much.

Alaska Marine Highway

Total =$ 390

Total: $301Hey, I was off a little, I was going from memory.

It'd cost WAY more than that to ride + accomodations (unless your camping). I plan on camping as much as possible on the trip down from Alaska. Unless it's raining. Or if it's cold, or I'm eskered of bears. Apparently, you can camp on the deck of the ferry. Watch the scenery scroll by, see some wildlife. Catch up your sleep.

Petey, sir <waits for a roundhouse that would make Chuck Norris pee his pants>, were all still waiting for at least pics of your Alaska trip.
Hey Bungie/whitelegs...looking at your price make up, you forgot to add the per person $160 charge. :p

Alaska Marine Highway

Total =$ 390

Total: $301Hey, I was off a little, I was going from memory.

Hey Bungie/whitelegs...looking at your price make up, you forgot to add the per person $160 charge. :p
OH SOB! I didn't see that! That fare page is deceiving. Had I have seen it, I would've thought the drivers/riders fare was included in the price like it is everywhere else! So it would've been $212 + $160 for each passenger.

That changes things a bit.

Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe I'mma gone ride up instead.

Bungie, where did you get those prices from?? And what about the cost for the bike? I sailed that route (from Haines to Prince Rupert) last summer...
Alaska Marine Highway

ACHTUNG: Herr Petey, stop busting Bungie's Balls and get your Alaska Ride Report and Pics up here. You know as old as I am, not getting any younger around here!

Bungie, where did you get those prices from?? And what about the cost for the bike? I sailed that route (from Haines to Prince Rupert) last summer...
Alaska Marine Highway

ACHTUNG: Herr Petey, stop busting Bungie's Balls and get your Alaska Ride Report and Pics up here. You know as old as I am, not getting any younger around here!
Hey, you should be more worried about my age, not yours. :rolleyes: