NAFO #3 - Rally in the Rockies!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wowser Bill, now that I know that Bungie LOVES riding tunnels, I have the perfect place that we can take him to: The Mining Tunnel of Real de Catorce! This is in Central Mexico and I rode it two years ago with my Mexico Riding Buddy Senor Brian "El Jefe" Boles. Real de Catorce means The Royal Fourteen, honoring the 14 Mexican Colonial soldiers killed by the local Indian tribes in the 16th Century. This El Ciudad was built on the silver riches, now it operates on Tourism and Peyote!

The old route into the city was over the top of the mountains on foot and by burro until by accident one mine tunnel broke into another and Los Mexicanos discovered they could go under the mountain using the tunnel systems.

Like most engineering done down in Mexico, the key word is that they succeeded by accident, rather than by design. So, you now have a four mile long tunnel with rough rock sides and a stream running through it. Stevie will absolutely love this one if he is a tunnel freak. What makes this one even better is that while your Iceland tunnel is run by Vikings, the Real de Catorce Mining Tunnel is run by "Los Borrachos" - Drunken Mexicans.

Imagine this scene: Since the tunnel is so very narrow it is only one-way at a time, running for an hour at a time in one direction only. So, at the Sur or South end of the tunnel you have a drunken Mexican sitting on a Corona Cerveza wooden crate with a walkie-talkie in one hand and a bottle of Tequila in the other - just for the sake of illustration let's call this Caballero - HotRodZilla.

Then at the Norte or North end of the tunnel you have another drunken Mexican sitting on a front seat taken out of an early fifties Chevy pickup truck. This Hombre, let's call him Patch308, has another walkie-talkie in one hand and a bottle of Mezcal in the other hand. But Patch308 is luckier than HotRodZilla, Suerte en Espanol, because sitting on either side of him are dos Las Putas; two whores flirting with him and offering him a hand job. NOTE: It cost 100 pesos, I asked Lupe!

Tis MEX Tunnel Traffic Control - Vato Loco Style. God, I truly love riding a motorcycle down in Mexico; every turn en El Camino makes me laugh at something that unfolds in front of your wheel.

So Bill, is this one right up Bungie's alley?

Last edited by a moderator:
That Mex tunnel reminds me of the tunnel down into the underground complex at the Canadian NORAD region in North Bay. Only longer. And shittier. And in Mexico.

Bungie would love that :)

Griff

That Mex tunnel reminds me of the tunnel down into the underground complex at the Canadian NORAD region in North Bay. Only longer. And shittier. And in Mexico.

Bungie would love that :)

Griff
Fantastico Senor Griff, con mucho gusto! I visualize a mid-Winter trip in store for you Frostbacks. In the Dead of the Great White North Frozen Winter: You, yamafitter, huron52 and Bungie put tus Motocicletas on trailers or in the back of your pickup trucks; and drive them down South to mi Casa de Stanley en Ciudad del Phoenix. Bring that Bogstomper/Polar Bear FJRob1300 along with you for comic relief! https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/places/culture-places/local-life/mexico_realdecatorce.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_de_Catorce https://www.realdecatorce.net/homeng Un Pueblo Historico y Majico! Most scenic city in all of Mexico!

I'll talk HotRodZilla and Patch308 into coming along; y El Ocho Compadres will ride to Real de Catorce together! Mas Caminos y Mas Amigos! I am just pleasantly surprised that Steve appreciates/enjoys nasty ass and muy Peligro (very dangerous) tunnels as much as his Papa Chuy Viejo does! First round of Peyote buttons are on Senor Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"!

Fantastico Senor Griff, con mucho gusto! I visualize a mid-Winter trip in store for you Frostbacks. In the Dead of the Great White North Frozen Winter: You, yamafitter, huron52 and Bungie put tus Motocicletas on trailers or in the back of your pickup trucks; and drive them down South to mi Casa de Stanley en Ciudad del Phoenix. Bring that Bogstomper/Polar Bear FJRob1300 along with you for comic relief! https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/places/culture-places/local-life/mexico_realdecatorce.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_de_Catorce https://www.realdecatorce.net/homeng Un Pueblo Historico y Majico! Most scenic city in all of Mexico!

I'll talk HotRodZilla and Patch308 into coming along; y El Ocho Compadres will ride to Real de Catorce together! Mas Caminos y Mas Amigos! I am just pleasantly surprised that Steve appreciates/enjoys nasty ass and muy Peligro (very dangerous) tunnels as much as his Papa Chuy Viejo does! First round of Peyote buttons are on Senor Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"!
Man.. I only understood about 35% of that... something about showing how many mushrooms he can stuff up his ass I think. Sounds like prison talk to me.

Man.. I only understood about 35% of that... something about showing how many mushrooms he can stuff up his ass I think. Sounds like prison talk to me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyote You Sudbury Doofus: Peyote is a cactus, not a mushroom! Jesu Cristo, luckily for you Ray, Bill, Griff and Tom watch over your ass!

... You, yamafitter, huron52 and Bungie put tus Motocicletas on trailers or in the back of your pickup trucks; and drive them down South to mi Casa de Stanley en Ciudad del Phoenix. Bring that Bogstomper/Polar Bear FJRob1300 along with you for comic relief!...
sad.gif
I feel so unloved!

tongue.gif

... You, yamafitter, huron52 and Bungie put tus Motocicletas on trailers or in the back of your pickup trucks; and drive them down South to mi Casa de Stanley en Ciudad del Phoenix. Bring that Bogstomper/Polar Bear FJRob1300 along with you for comic relief!...
sad.gif
I feel so unloved!

tongue.gif
Mi Hermano El Jefe, My sincerest regrets and apologies for my omission of su Nombre FJRGuy, in that broad invitation of assorted Los Canadiensies del Bogstompers! Mi Querido Jeff C., You certainly are welcomed to join us in a Run to Real de Catorce: Mi Casa es su Casa!

I actually just received a Private Message from Old Michael regarding Bungie and tunnels, I was innocently unaware of the existing situation regarding Steve and dark, damp, cold, wet and dangerous cave like environs. Here are OM's exact words: "If you take Bungie 100 meters into the Icelandic Tunnel, he will piss his pants. If you take Bungie 10 meters into the Real de Catorce Tunnel, he will piss his pants. However, if you take Bungie 100 meters into the Mexico Tunnel, he will shit your pants Papa!"

Woohoo! Just rode to the NAFO venue from Calgary! I'll never be able to get enough of these roads! Was sunny all day but 34C when we arrived! Sure glad we're holding NAFO in June! :-D

Woohoo! Just rode to the NAFO venue from Calgary! I'll never be able to get enough of these roads! Was sunny all day but 34C when we arrived! Sure glad we're holding NAFO in June! :-D
Are you coming this way senor? You know there's always a bed here for you! I'm taking an overnighter with a few friends Wednesday and Thursday out through Nakusp, New Denver, Kaslo and down to Creston for the night. Not sure of the rest of the plan, but back home for Thursday night. Give me some advance warning if you're coming this way.

Maybe you should arrange a tour of the drug smuggler tunnels down that way for Bungie Don..

I'm sure he'd enjoy those. :lol:

Maybe you should arrange a tour of the drug smuggler tunnels down that way for Bungie Don..

I'm sure he'd enjoy those. :lol:
I made an arrangement with Los Zetas, La Familia and Beltran-Leyva Cartels many years ago Bust, I try to stay as far away as I can from them and I hope like Hell that they stay away from me. Did wind up in the middle of a shootout between the Sinaloa and Tijuana Cartels back in 2001 in Culiacan, Mexico.

I'd stopped at the PEMEX to top off the tank on my 1996 BMW R1100GS and heard an AK-47 light up, having been in the US Army from 1968-1974, I definitely know the sound a Kalishnikov 7.62 makes! I dove under a motor home parked next to me and stayed there until the shooting finally stopped; six dead!

https://www.canadianrockies.net/banff/moraine.html With it being 110F degrees today here in Phoenix, the only riding I have done is on the Internet. My BMW Riding Buddy Carlos Doucet, who even though a Yank worked in Vancouver for three decades. Chuck said visiting Moraine Lake is an absolute see and must do for The Stanley Boys NAFO / CFR visit next June.

So, I found this fantastic website https://www.canadianrockies.net Has the entire region covered with travel recommendations, Papa Chuy Viejo rates it: Quatro Estrellas!

The only lodgings which are critical, that I highly recommend that we make advance reservations for, are the ones that bracket the Ferry Sailings: Prince Rupert, since the Ferry sails at 6am and we want a hotel as close as possible to the docks. Port Hardy, due to the Ferry arriving at 11pm at night, we don't want to be riding around aimlessly looking for hotels at that hour. . .
You will LOVE the ferry ride from Rupert to Hardy. Have an extra storage card for your cameras handy. Jealous....

Port Hardy? I wouldn't stay there LMAO...geez....Ok, maybe the QuarterDeck Marina/Resort, (it has a decent restaurant/bar and good parking, right on the water), but OMG. ack. The Pioneer Inn is old, a bit off the beaten track, but lots of good parking right in front of your room. If you stay downtown Hardy, LOCK up everything...twice.

Port MNeill is not far from Hardy. Black Bear resort is new and has a spa (yanno, should you feel the need for a foot rub). Just down the hill is Sam's Sports Bar for eats etc. Although at that hour, you prolly don't want to be toying with deer or bear on the hwy in the pitch black. Ok, even I might stay in Hardy in this circ...
I got off that ferry about 10:30 at night but had arranged (on the boat through the purser's office) for a room at a little B&B just 3 or 4 miles outside of Port Hardy called "Jessie's Place." It was Excellent! Roomy, clean, comfortable, and very reasonable, and Jessie is a very neat artist lady whose paintings were all over the walls. I bought one of them--a watercolor of the scenes I'd seen all the way down on the ferry--and she shipped it home for me.

In yesterday's mail I had an envelope from the British Columbia Ministry of Tourism with two great BC Travel resources inside, you can go to https://www.HelloBC.com to get these. For expedited service, just tell them that you are friends of Barb and Jeff. NOTE: I don't think that I would mention you know Bungie or FJRob!

1) 92-page Super Natural British Columbia Vacation Planner, loaded with detailed information on BC. Does have advertising, but the ads cover cool tourist activities!

2) 24-page British Columbia Scenic Driving Guide, this one is really fantastic with nine different riding loops fully outlined. The maps are only 3" by 3" so I plan to take them to Office Max and have them enlarged to 6" by 6" so they will fit in the map pocket of my BMW tank bag.

I will take the 3" by 3" maps and tape them over the Garmin window on the dash of my K1600GT "Gisele", since I've still not figured out how to us the new GPS yet.

Don, have you figured out what we are doing after we leave NAFO # 3, or are you still looking and do we have the date we are leaving and coming back to SO CAL/SO AZ, I think Justin and I will Just Ride over over to Chandler a few days before we leave so we can finish hashing out the plan, and that way we can ride to NAFO together, besides I love June in Pheonix when its 1000 friggin degrees ha ha, any way when you get the Dates we are leaving Chandler and list of hotels and ferrys so I can spend my money let me know. Also has registration for NAFO opened yet and the hotel we are staying at at Castlegar, becuuse I have not done that yet.

Steve O

must ...stop...reading ...this ...thread

1. it's...too...far...

2. getting...too ...old... for... this ...stuff....

3. been...there...done...that...

4. same...old...same...old

5. I ...would...get ...a...flat...

6. It ...would... rain.... all... the...way...there...and...back...

7. I'd ... get...lost...

/meh that's only 7 reasons so far, when I reach twenty, I'm outta here!!!!

1. it's...too...far...

7. I'd ... get...lost...

So, then, we'll see you in Castlegar!?!? :yahoo:

1. it's...too...far...

7. I'd ... get...lost...

So, then, we'll see you in Castlegar!?!? :yahoo:
But of course my leetle cauliflower! (or is that Cali-flower?)