NAFO - Trip Plans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the wife this creates a compromise in planning. My early thoughts are to fly her from West Palm to Denver where I will pick her up on Tuesday.

I will be "In Route" to Denver with stops in Monroe and where ever the wind takes me for around 4 or 5 days…
punk.gif

We will then ride down to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and do some exploration riding in Arizona & Utah until Thursday. Thursday - Saturday

at the rally with small excursions to surrounding parks & vistas. Sunday she will fly out of Denver back to West Palm and I will stage for the "Heaven to Hell"

Iron Butt ride. California to home will bring many choices, but I am kind of saving Cali until September.

I am wide open in ride plans and would consider any suggestions that others have.

Oh… I am planning on riding the '05 FJR (If it makes it back from the Haul Rd and Red Lodge) … Otherwise it will be the'08 FJR.

The Dakar will hopefully be sold by then, as It goes up for sale in 3 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
No plan for me yet. It is normally a three day ride for me to get that far, and I almost always stop over in Kalamazoo when I ride west. It will be too hot to take a southern route, so I'll either cross northern Kansas, or Nebraska or add a day or two to the ride and stay further north and drop down through the mountains.

I also want to get into Arizona and see the Saguaros before I head back east, so I'll probably plan a few days for Arizona and Utah on the way home, take a look at the Petrified Forest and Monument Valley.

Still up in the air for me, but I'll likely be leaving the Saturday or Sunday before NAFO and eventually end up crossing on I-70 (it'll still be hella hot, but less so than further south). The last time I rode to my hometown in Winter Park, CO in 2013, I just played it by ear and ended up making stops in Cadiz, KY and Salina, KS before arriving...675, 657, and 498 mile days, which gives me a rough idea of timeline. Debating on whether or not to bring my tent along and split that between Super 8's before and after NAFO.
wink.png

Still up in the air for me, but I'll likely be leaving the Saturday or Sunday before NAFO and eventually end up crossing on I-70 (it'll still be hella hot, but less so than further south). The last time I rode to my hometown in Winter Park, CO in 2013, I just played it by ear and ended up making stops in Cadiz, KY and Salina, KS before arriving...675, 657, and 498 mile days, which gives me a rough idea of timeline. Debating on whether or not to bring my tent along and split that between Super 8's before and after NAFO.
wink.png
Hey Burnspot, or any other east coasters riding west, you're more than welcome to make a stopover in Omahell. I have spare rooms (2), and airbeds available along with garage space, tools or contacts with a local parts & tire place if you should need anything.

I'm planning to leave Thursday early morning.

KOA's are also great spots. Cheap, wifi (usually) and hot showers.

wink.png
Hey Burnspot, or any other east coasters riding west, you're more than welcome to make a stopover in Omahell. I have spare rooms (2), and airbeds available along with garage space, tools or contacts with a local parts & tire place if you should need anything.

I'm planning to leave Thursday early morning.

KOA's are also great spots. Cheap, wifi (usually) and hot showers.
Thanks for the offer! I'll add it to the pot of considerations...I suck at trip planning...I usually just wing it, lol.

... Atlanta to Denver via OKC to nab a BBG. Leaving the big ATL on Monday, July 25, or Tuesday, July 26.
Not sure which day I'm leaving yet. But I'd like to get my first long distance certification when I head out for NAFO. I may shoot for a Bun-Burner 1500. 1st day roughly 16 hours 1,012 miles from Atlanta, GA to Shamrock, TX ... then day two roughly 10 hours and 590 miles from Shamrock, TX to Montrose, CO. About1500 miles in less than 36 hours sounds doable.

... Atlanta to Denver via OKC to nab a BBG. Leaving the big ATL on Monday, July 25, or Tuesday, July 26.
Not sure which day I'm leaving yet. But I'd like to get my first long distance certification when I head out for NAFO. I may shoot for a Bun-Burner 1500. 1st day roughly 16 hours 1,012 miles from Atlanta, GA to Shamrock, TX ... then day two roughly 10 hours and 590 miles from Shamrock, TX to Montrose, CO. About1500 miles in less than 36 hours sounds doable.
Unless something has changed, your first ride will have to be a Saddlesore. I believe you have to have one of them behind you before they will certify a Ride of 1500 miles or more.

Smitty

^^^^ Truth.

Nothing stopping you from riding 1,500 miles, but IBA won't cert you for anything until after you've done a SaddleSore.

If you haven't done a 1,000-mile day before, you should try it before attempting anything bigger. A SaddleSore isn't easy, and the next day is when you'll feel it.

From the IBA website...

"It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1000 and Bun-Burner 1500 on the same ride."

Contrary to some opinions the IBA WILL certify your Bun-Burner if you complete it. They will also certify your SaddleSore if you meet the requirements while completing your Bun-Burner.

So, with that in mind, go for it! Just keep your documentation. 1K in a day is not that difficult in western locales with today's interstate speed limits. West bound makes it even a tad easier...you should pick up an extra hour of daylight!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Uncle Hud" data-cid="1304708" data-time="1461173841"><p>

My mistake. I am considering proposing a Bun Burner <em class='bbc'>Gold</em>, 1,500 miles in 24 hours, which requires the SS or BB to be certified first. <strong class='bbc'>FJR-Pilot</strong> is considering a regular Bun Burner, 1,500 miles in 36 hours. <br />

<br />

My reading comprehension fails once again.<br />

<br />

<br />

<a href='https://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=3'><span style='font-family: courier new', courier, monospace'><strong class='bbc'><em class='bbc'>WARNING: Before you can apply for Bun Burner Gold certification (1,500+ miles in 24 hours), you must have at least completed one of the following; a SaddleSore 1000, a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours), a SaddleSore 2000 (or other similiar IBA ride), the Alberta 2000, Minnesota 1000, TimberButt, Tarbutt Rally, Utah 1088, any Cognoscente Group event, any MERA event, or the Iron Butt Rally. </em></strong></span></a></p></blockquote>

I was wondering if you were right about that since I did a bun burner before a saddle sore.

MNFJR05 wrote:
From the IBA website...

"It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1000 and Bun-Burner 1500 on the same ride."
I've done 1,000+ mile days before ... I learned it's important to rest well the night before, eat the right foods before & during the ride, and launch early. So I'll try for both certifications on the ride out
smile.png
... Hud if you want to join I'd love the company
icon_thumbsup.gif

It reads to me that I have to finish the 2nd day totaling 1500 miles before the 36 hour clock strikes "36" (1,500 miles in 36 hours).

========================================================================

From the IBA Site: "It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1000 and Bun-Burner 1500 on the same ride. For example, in the first 24 hours you ride 1,000 miles and then continue on the second day and ride another 500 miles or more."

"There are five steps to earning a SaddleSore or Bun Burner 1500 certification; 1. Choose a safe route, 2. get a start witness, 3. collect and track receipts, 4. get an end witness and 5. copy and submit your documentation."

Me bad, I guess you can do both in one ride.

Keep in mind... You don 't have to give someone money to say you did 1000 or 1500 miles in a day. As long as you know, that what really matters. Paying someone to tell you what you already know you big scam any way.

Do the miles, smile and have $50. in gas money in your pocket..

Smitty

Keep in mind... You don 't have to give someone money to say you did 1000 or 1500 miles in a day. As long as you know, that what really matters. Paying someone to tell you what you already know you big scam any way.

Smitty
Yeah, if I had only completed my paperwork, I would have a certified Hooterville 400 years ago...but no! Now nobody will believe me.

But good luck on your trip to NAFO...have a great time!

Smitty
Yeah, if I had only completed my paperwork, I would have a certified Hooterville 400 years ago...but no! Now nobody will believe me.

But good luck on your trip to NAFO...have a great time!
Send me a check for $99.00 and wait 3 months. I will send you a certificate suitable for framing with a letter of authenticity for all your "Hooterville 400" rides. And buy you a beer next time I see my favorite Wheetie!!

Smitty

FJR-Pilot posted: I've done 1,000+ mile days before ... I learned it's important to rest well the night before, eat the right foods before & during the ride, and launch early. So I'll try for both certifications on the ride out
smile.png
... Hud if you want to join I'd love the company
icon_thumbsup.gif

It reads to me that I have to finish the 2nd day totaling 1500 miles before the 36 hour clock strikes "36" (1,500 miles in 36 hours).

From the IBA Site: "It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1000 and Bun-Burner 1500 on the same ride. For example, in the first 24 hours you ride 1,000 miles and then continue on the second day and ride another 500 miles or more."

"There are five steps to earning a SaddleSore or Bun Burner 1500 certification; 1. Choose a safe route, 2. get a start witness, 3. collect and track receipts, 4. get an end witness and 5. copy and submit your documentation."

I think your interpretation is correct. As I recall, witnesses do not have to be Johnny-on-the-spot at either end, but do have to verify date/time/odometer/license plate, etc.

PM sent about riding together ... as it's off topic. (
blushing.gif
)

Such interest in Flaming Asses...........only in America.

God, I love this country.
smile.png

I know, I know: I admit to being part of that descriptor.
mda.gif

Refined plans have me leaving Denver Thursday morning, riding south through Fairplay and lovely South Park County, meeting with folks traveling from Colorado Springs, (FJRay, Tyler, gregory and Michelle, BobCo and Sandy, maybe others ... ?) before turning west over Monarch Pass on US 50.

If I have any influence over our schedule, we will NOT miss the Thursday pre-dinner cocktail hour at the Montrose HIX (Holiday Inn Express).

Refined plans have me leaving Denver Thursday morning, riding south through Fairplay and lovely South Park County, meeting with folks traveling from Colorado Springs, (FJRay, Tyler, gregory and Michelle, BobCo and Sandy, maybe others ... ?) before turning west over Monarch Pass on US 50.

If I have any influence over our schedule, we will NOT miss the Thursday pre-dinner cocktail hour at the Montrose HIX (Holiday Inn Express).
Beat me to the punch... ;)

.... says the woman who takes a photo every half-mile.
rolleyes.gif

OK, you take a stunning photo every half-mile.