NAFO - Trip Plans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Refined plans have me leaving Denver Thursday morning, riding south through Fairplay and lovely South Park County, meeting with folks traveling from Colorado Springs, (FJRay, Tyler, gregory and Michelle, BobCo and Sandy, maybe others ... ?) before turning west over Monarch Pass on US 50.

If I have any influence over our schedule, we will NOT miss the Thursday pre-dinner cocktail hour at the Montrose HIX (Holiday Inn Express).
Hey Hud what time do you think you'll will depart from Denver Thursday morning? I'm leaving from Raton, NM. Maybe we could run into each other before crossing Monarch Pass....Just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:
petey, if left to my own, I'd likely get to Poncha Springs, CO, around 10 am Thursday. Does that look like it might work for you? Be happy to postpone my Denver departure for an hour.

Really would like to meet a few of the folks coming from Colorado Springs, too, however, and can't speak to their schedules.

Google says Poncha Springs is 3 hours from Raton, so I figure 1 hour for you? Oh yeah, if you're on a dirt bike you'll be going a little slower .....

.... says the woman who takes a photo every half-mile.
rolleyes.gif

OK, you take a stunning photo every half-mile.
I've told you a million times not to exaggerate... :p

petey, if left to my own, I'd likely get to Poncha Springs, CO, around 10 am Thursday. Does that look like it might work for you? Be happy to postpone my Denver departure for an hour.
Really would like to meet a few of the folks coming from Colorado Springs, too, however, and can't speak to their schedules.

Google says Poncha Springs is 3 hours from Raton, so I figure 1 hour for you? Oh yeah, if you're on a dirt bike you'll be going a little slower .....
Hud, Petey's native language is German. Don't believe he can translate "going a little slower"
laugh.png

Uncle Hud the 10am meet up wouldn't be a problem for me at all, however I forgot (old age) that AbercromieFJR talked me into arriving in Montrose on Wednesday (he and I are bunking) so I'll be a day ahead of yous....
bike.gif

Hud,I was planning on leaving the Denver area Thursday morning as well. Would love to meet up and ride along if you don't mind. Just let me know where and when to meet you.

Burns1
I'd like to meet up with the Colorado Springs crowd where our routes cross. Google says 2.5 hours from Denver to Poncha Springs, and another 2.5 hours from Poncha Springs to Montrose. Also says 2 hours from Colorado Springs to Poncha Springs.

Stopped in Poncha Springs a couple of times; there's gas and convenience-store food. Can't vouch for anything else.

Tentatively planning to leave Denver about 7-7:30 am. (Traffic? Outbound? That early?) That puts me/us at Poncha Springs around 10 am, and into Montrose around 1-1:30 pm -- even counting for two dozen Tyler photo stops.

Don't misunderstand: I am very cool with two dozen Tyler photo stops.

Given those travel times, we could leave Denver as late as 10 am and still get to Montrose for happy hour. (<---- very important travel requirement)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be staying with Family in Colorado Springs John. We will meet up where ever the group decides.

I am coming in from the left coast. Leaving on Sat. 7/23. Drifting along the Colorado so I can cross a few dams. Up through Bryce Canyon area. Then over to Montrose on Wednesday. Plan on being very flexible about the routing.

My plans have changed. I will be solo for this trip, so no trailer. I plan on leaving on Saturday 7/23 from home. Anyone else leaving around that time and want to hook up along the way? My plan is wide open, so no route planned yet. I just plan to be in Montrose on Thursday 7/27.

My plans have changed. I will be solo for this trip, so no trailer. I plan on leaving on Saturday 7/23 from home. Anyone else leaving around that time and want to hook up along the way? My plan is wide open, so no route planned yet. I just plan to be in Montrose on Thursday 7/27.
Count me in.

Count me in.
Well, I already knew that! I suppose it should have read, "anyone else"!

Also, I think it will shift to a Wednesday arrival. Just contacted my hero Petey to see about hooking up with him along the way.

I never know my plans until a few days before departure (I'm not a planner) but it's looking like St Louis/Kansas City could be a rendezvous point for quite a few east coast folks (including me from Atlanta believe it or not). I don't yet know if I'm taking the northern route or the southern route. They are damn near identical time/distances. Uncle Hud and I have loosely discussed riding out together but we have not cemented that. Anywho.

bike.gif
Can't wait!!
bike.gif

Our current plan is to leave Tuesday after work. We'll be slabbing it out on I-70, which will be torture but it'll get us there.

We'll probably stay at the Hampton Inn in Terra Haute Tuesday night. No idea where we'll stay Wednesday but it's ~ 1200 miles from Terra Haute to Montrose, then we plan to arrive in Montrose on Thursday. We may be riding with pista.

... but it's looking like St Louis/Kansas City could be a rendezvous point for quite a few east coast folks...
We'll be rolling through both on Wednesday.

Count me in.

Also, I think it will shift to a Wednesday arrival. Just contacted my hero Petey to see about hooking up with him along the way.
Still in but you two can do that "hook-up" thing on your own... not my style.

Count me in.

Still in but you two can do that "hook-up" thing on your own... not my style.
Whatever!