National Parks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65

ouch
Reaction score
We are passing through Glacier and Yellowstone on our way to NAFO. In our normal state of preparedness, we don't have reservations for hotels. Since we are in prime tourist time I am curious how close to the parks we can get and still get rooms. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last year we stayed in Jackson Hole WY and visited Grand Teton and Yellowstone from the south to northwest. Reservations might be possible in Jackson Hole. Wagon Wheel Village is where we stayed with little log cabin rooms. Rates were not outrageous.

I remember that even with months of advance time, reservations at any of the hotels/motels to the immediate west of Yellowstone were unfreakinbelievable! Expensive doesn't even come close to describing it and many required months of advance time.

My best suggestion... Remember you are on a bike and can travel the lesser-used paths. Search for something that does not lie directly between the park and Southern CA.

Just sent you a PM with the spreadsheet details from the rooms we used last year. Might help you.

HA

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, but let me know when you get to Golden, cuz that's on my route out.
Will do, I pretty sure must owe me a beer for somethin'. Thanks Jeff, you brought the average usefulness of the posts in this thread way up! :lol:

If you are on the north side of Yellowstone, you can check out Livingston or Bozeman Montana. On the East side there is Cody, but it may be a little pricey. But there are lots of motels there and you might find a mom and pop that is reasonable. Jackson is an alternative, but it is going to be pricey as well. But that is the best way to get into the park as the Grand Tetons are awesome!

Also, you might try this website:

https://www.xanterra.com/index.html

They do all the lodging in Yellowstone and they can tell you if there are any vacancies within the Park. Stayed in a little cabin at Lake Lodge and it was around $100 per night. I would suggest you call them, they were good to deal with.

To really see Jellystone, you need two days but can do it in one if you don't stop much.

Steve

You can usually get a room in Whitefish or Kalispell if you try no later than 2:00 p.m. though you may have to try several. The closer to the park entrance the less likely you will be to get one. Forget any on the east side of Glacier until Chotau. There is a very good motel there, however Chotau is over an hour from the park. If you are approaching Yellowstone from the west the best place is Ennis. Red lodge is good but all are over $100 per. Cody is my favorite because of the museum and I have never had a problem finding a room by 3:00 p.m. It's an hour from the park but its also close to the Beartooth. Depends on how many days you can stay. If you are just passing through stay at Ennis then through the park over the Beartooth and stay at Red Lodge. Did this a week ago.

Phil

I just came back from Glacier about two weeks ago,you might want to call out there and see if there are any rooms available.I checked one night and there was a room available at Apgar village.It wasn't a bad price,but I'm cheap and I had a tent so I went to the campground.Camping is definately the way to go out there,especially at Grand Teton,they let you stay on the 'hiker-biker' loop for $5.00 a night.Nice wooded sites and a lot of interesting people.That was the Colter Bay campground-very nice.

If you're going from Glacier to Yellowstone don't miss the Beartooth pass from Red Lodge MT to Yellowstone's norhteast enterance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are on the north side of Yellowstone, you can check out Livingston or Bozeman Montana. On the East side there is Cody, but it may be a little pricey. But there are lots of motels there and you might find a mom and pop that is reasonable. Jackson is an alternative, but it is going to be pricey as well. But that is the best way to get into the park as the Grand Tetons are awesome!
Also, you might try this website:

https://www.xanterra.com/index.html

They do all the lodging in Yellowstone and they can tell you if there are any vacancies within the Park. Stayed in a little cabin at Lake Lodge and it was around $100 per night. I would suggest you call them, they were good to deal with.

To really see Jellystone, you need two days but can do it in one if you don't stop much.

Steve
Not surprising, no availability in the parks the nights we are interested in. Some people just do not know how to enable procrastinators. :)

We are passing through Glacier and Yellowstone on our way to NAFO. In our normal state of preparedness, we don't have reservations for hotels. Since we are in prime tourist time I am curious how close to the parks we can get and still get rooms. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I'd try to line something up before committing. My experience has been somewhat negative, although sometimes there will be last minute cancellations and you can luck up on something. An advance call can help secure these last minute deals. Look how many guys cancelled their plans for NAFO... Park trips can be similar since usually to get a reservation you have to make it the best part of a year in advance. People change their plans when their reservations have to be made on that time frame, so calling may get you in.