Natural Gas to Propane BBQ conversion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
I have a Kenmore model 148.16154210 bbq that's been converted from propane natural gas. I now need to re-convert to propane.

The impeccably accurate inter webs states propane run jets (orfices) from #62 to #48 inner diameters. These numbers are drill sizes.

After an hour of searching, these jets are as elusive as Big Foot in FjRays hood.

I'm almost to the point of brazing the bigger holed natural gas jets solid then re-drilling.

Any ideas?

Had a friend that just used the bigger jets in his.

Just didn't turn it up all the way.

Don't see why you can't plug and re drill though.

You might try a shop that sells and installs high end BBQ's

Tre a local HVAC shop too. My work just converted from propane to natural gas and those guys had all kinds of those jets.

Try an appliance store that sells gas stoves. Our stove came jetted for natural gas and the installer put in the jets for propane. The stove that was in when we bought the joint had been used for six years with natural gas jets while burning propane. Left some soot on pots and pans, but not much before we had it rejetted.

Try a propane dealer.

We used to carry "spud" kits, pretty sure most still do.
Basically what they are are a mushroomed brass rivet that you install in the orifice once you drill it to the spud diameter. Peen it in and drill to correct size.

BTW, Sasquatch aren't had to find in Ray's hood. Just look in his shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Converted a fire pit from natural gas to propane. the gas man just drilled out the jet, less then a 1/16" bigger as he didn't have the bigger size jet. They usually have them though so just go see a plumbing and heating shop. They probably have it in stock and they can't be too costly.

Try a propane dealer.We used to carry "spud" kits, pretty sure most still do.

Basically what they are are a mushroomed brass rivet that you install in the orifice once you drill it to the spud diameter. Peen it in and drill to correct size.

BTW, Sasquatch aren't had to find in Ray's hood. Just look in his shop.
If you look in my shop you find Carver shit. I don't have any BBQ parts. Maybe we can use one of the KZ carbs.

Converted a fire pit from natural gas to propane. the gas man just drilled out the jet, less then a 1/16" bigger as he didn't have the bigger size jet. They usually have them though so just go see a plumbing and heating shop. They probably have it in stock and they can't be too costly.
I thought propane had higher pressure and smaller jets than natural gas.
unknw.gif

unknw.gif
True that.

unknw.gif
IIRC Propane nominal is 13 inches water Nat gas is 4 inches.

Go ahead ask. Not you Greg, you read a book at some point.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator: