Need GPS Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ4863

Reaction score
So I'm trying to create custom POIs for my Zumo. I have the file saved as CSV in excel, and ran it through the POI loader for garmin. I can't seem to transfer the file to my Garmin.

I saved the file from the POI Loader onto a micro card, both in the root? directory, and in a garmin created folder named garmin. Any help?? I know its operator error.

Thanks!

Scratch that. I figured it out. I took the .CSV file, ran it through ITN Converter, and saved it right to the microcard. Success!!

I just downloaded all of the 10,000+ stations in America that serve Ethanol free, from Pure-gas.org. Then parsed the data so that I could identify state specifics, and created a POI file that contains just the states and provinces I might run into this touring season. BUT, that database is live and updated constantly, so its not perfect. But if anyone wants some of that data hit me up.

(it might also be easy enough to just load all 10,000 onto your card, but I like to fiddle with data..)

https://pure-gas.org/extensions/poi.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:
@PJ - That's correct. The custom POI file gets loaded into the unique directory "\Garmin\Poi\" and that can be either on the SD card or the unit's internal memory.

I wrote up the whole procedure a while back. You may not have seen it then. Doing more with your GPS
Ah.. maybe that was the problem with the CSV file. I didn't save it into a dedicated POI folder. I'm going to have to look at your procedure. :)

You can't just drop the .csv file there. The GPS doesn't know what to do with that. You have to use POI loader to turn the .csv into a .gpi file which is Garmin's format for custom GPS Points of Interest. In my post I show how you can change the icon that will show up on the map for the various POI's and also how to turn on the proximity alerts if you want to do that.

For the 10,000 Pure Gas POIs, you could just load them all. When you try to find one only the 52 closest to your current location, (Near a Different City, My Current Route or My Destination) will be listed

Last edited by a moderator: