Need help, broke down on road trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two differences, of course, Gen-I to Gen-II regarding tank heating.

Gen-II actually does have a bit of stuff under the tank that's intended to insulate it from the heat below. Gen-I riders have to buy or fabrictae something for that. (It works, by the way, when you have a heat blanket uinder there.)

Second thing is that the Gen-II does not recirculate fuel from the injector rail like Gen-I bikes do. Fuel rail is a real nice place for selected fuel molecules to pick up engine heat and then bring it back to the general population for redistribution. Nothing you can do about that except buy a Gen-II and put up with all of those issues, like ground spiders, being slower, not metric/US instrument switching, etc. :p

But properly vented, all that does is make the tank warm on your legs. The issue is when the vent fails, for whatever reason.

I've not noticed whether vent problem reports were confined to Gen-I bikes or not. Both bikes have the same gas cap vent system (I think,) so I would expect both bikes to encounter similar issues with them.

Well, I didn't have any issues today. It was a different type of riding because it was all national parks & backroads, & the temperature was a lot cooler, but I'm confident it's fixed. I'll still be real careful every time I open the cap when it's that warm out.

Thanks again to Bustanut & Patriot for the links & phroenips for offering to help, & everyone else's input.

Chad

I've never had a lick of ventilation problem, either pressure buildup or vacuum, since performing my gas cap castration (documented in the link you went to).

I've also had the opportunity to test the castrated vent with the bike napping on its left side. :huh:

I'm happy to report that there was no fuel leakage from the vent line, or fiery death, as was warned of in that thread.