NEP lock hassle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantasticJohnR

Reaction score
I followed all of Fred's directions to install a NEP throttle lock (CC3) on my bike. I have an 06 with the stock grips covered by grip puppies.

The problem seems to be that even with the NEP in the unlocked postion that the throttle won't return to the off position - seems to fit too tight. Now I know this seems unbelievable particularly since I haven't loosened the ominous 06 throttle spring as many have due to the strong pull on the 06s.

I even tried to loosen up the cable housing and move inward on the bars as much as possible to give the little gizmo some room.

What is the secret to get this rather cheap piece of plastic to work? :glare:

John

Hmmmm.........having computer difficulties also. There seems to be a trend here. I deleted your duplicate post and moved this one to the correct section.

As for your N.E.P...............you shoulda got a VistaCruise! :lol:

Question, with the engine running (and vibrating), does the throttle still not return?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I am having all kinds of issue tonight :dribble:

"Question, with the engine running (and vibrating), does the throttle still not return?"

Never got that far- once I got it on and locked down it was so hard to twist to start off with I figured something was not right...

This NEP lock was the "cheap" option in many ways and as they say- you get what you pay for :huh:

John

I just installed the NEP on my 05. I too have grip puppies. Had problems too.

The grip puppies push the inner flare edge of the grip hard enough to make it rub the NEP plastic. This creates huge drag.

My fix was to use one extra plastic disc like the one that goes between the grip and the throttle tube casing. You know that donut shaped disc.

Put one on the inside between the throttle housing and the NEP lock. Put another on the outside of the NEP lock between it and the grip. Cut off enough of the grip flange to take the pressure/squeeze off.

If you have a hard time cutting off just a little bit of the grip flange as I did. You can remove the entire flange and just use motocross sponge donut between the NEP and the grip.

It's the rubber grip trying to rotate against the plastic NEP that binds things up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jeff,

I think I will just give up for now- later amybe I will instal the vista cruise. I am heading out on my first saddleesore 1000 and thought the NEP lock would be an easy thing to do. I have a throttle rocker that I have used for years- but it would be good to be able to totally relax my right hand. I saw another post about just using a large O ring that you slide on and off- seems to be an easy and cheap alternative...

John

I recently put a NEP on my 04. A CC2 NEP.

I trimmed off the lower part (cable grabber) to smooth out and slim the whole piece.

I loosened the screws on the throttle cable housing and moved it against the starter switch housing (BTW, the screws on these are made of chocolate).

I put the throttle lock between the throttle cable housing and the extra disc. There is about 3 mm space between the TL and disc.

I zip-tied the TL to the cable housing (some of you did the same).

What I did find, is that you must secure the TL to the housing a certain way, otherwise it will rub and deter the movement of the throttle.

I messed around with it and went through a few zip-ties experimenting.

When you fasten the TL, you must make sure the bottom and the top do not rub against the grip.

I used one zip-tie wrapped around the cable housing and the TL. The head or end of the zip tie is on the TL itself in the center on the grip side.

This pushed the TL towards the cable housing and lets the throttle rotate freely.

It works slick as snot. 2 thumbs up.

Blah, blah, blah, back to the Rum now, the Captain is calling again.

+1 make sure the Zip tie isnt so cranked down that it binds against the grip. Thats all there is to it. It dosnt need to be cranked down, just kept loose. Once the thing is mounted then tighten the screw enough to hold the throttle open. Then loosen it enough to let it spring back with the lock open. It should be set up then.

Just as I was ready to flush mine down the toilet, I figured it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, you convinced me to give it another try tonight...Maybe Tequila is the secret ingredient to make this all work :lol: