NERDS 5 - We're on a roll now!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only route of those provided that I have not been on is the Tourist. I plan to ride that one this year. No more washboard gravel gaps for me.
no.gif

The ride up Mt. Washington is worth the trip. The roads getting there and back are fun and the view from the top is excellent if it is not in the clouds.

Last edited by a moderator:
No more washboard gravel gaps for me.
no.gif

Wimp! We just rode the two unpaved gaps in June and they were in great shape. Of course we were on our Vstroms!
wink.png

The 4 Gaps ride skips the two gravel ones. That's always an option. OTOH, if you have a need for even more dirt roads that are in great shape the Covered Bridges ride is your E-ticket.

We are so busy at work they are canceling any new request for vacations. I will tell my associates, See you suckers! I will be in Vermont next week.

Can't wait !!!!

Dave

No more washboard gravel gaps for me. :no:

Wimp! We just rode the two unpaved gaps in June and they were in great shape. Of course we were on our Vstroms! ;)

The 4 Gaps ride skips the two gravel ones. That's always an option. OTOH, if you have a need for even more dirt roads that are in great shape the Covered Bridges ride is your E-ticket.
Wait, which of these routes are all paved and which have gravel roads?

Good question, Allen. The only route that hits a significant amount of unpaved roads (most unpaved Vermont roads are packed clay rather than "gravel", and are in better shape than many paved roads) is the Covered Bridges ride route. It is impossible to get to many f the covered bridges without going off pavement.

Two of the 6 gaps have short sections of gravel near their heights of land. So, the 4 gaps ride route eliminates those two gravel gaps for those who would rather deal with that.

And as Sully said, the last mile to the top of Mt Washington is gravel, but you could do that entire ride route without going to the top of Mt Washington and it would still be a good ride.

Below are the full route descriptions. All times are GPS estimated "riding time" without adding in any rest or lunch stops: The big exception is that the Covered Bridges will very likely take you longer than it says.

Art's 'Dacks Twisty Butt365 Miles / 7:54

The Long Way Around... this is a longer route for those looking to put in some bigger mileage on some fantastic Adirondack roads. Enjoy some fast sweepers and real river road twisties in the Adirondacks. A good route to get your “ya-yas” out.

A'dacks Twisty

315 Miles / 6:48

A "Lite" version of the Twisty Butt (just cuts out the scenic loop down to Great Sacandaga Lake).

Covered Bridges of VT

164 Miles / 4:04

This route is designed for the Covered Bridge "aficionado". Visit seventeen different covered bridges in Vermont (including one that's reported to be "Haunted"), and ride across most of them. Be warned, this route includes a fair amount of dirt and gravel roads. Some of the Bridges are a little out of the way and you'll need to drive over some real back-roads to get to them.

Grand Isles and Northern 'Dacks

314 Miles / 6:50

Mountains, Lakes, Rivers, real twisties... this one has it all. Start out with a ride up through Sugglers Notch and through the Grand Isles of Lake Champlain, then across into NY State near the Canadian border. Down through the Adirondacks with a special twistie treat on Tracy Road, before heading back to Stowe via the App Gap. A full day's ride that’s hard to beat.

Islands and Northern VT Loop

188 Miles / 4:17

Starts out the same as above, but then turn east and ride along the northern border of Vermont and around Jay Peak. A slightly shorter ride for those who might get a late start, prefer an easy day, or just want to get back to Stowe earlier to allow time for touristing around.

Mt Washington loop
275 Miles / 6:17

For those with a need to "get high"… Ride over into New Hampshire and take the “auto road” up above the clouds, to the top of the most prominent peak east of the Mississippi River. Warning: The auto road is steep, unpaved for the upper half, and guaranteed to pucker your sphincter on the way down. Dress warmly, even in the summer. Average high temps in August are only 53F.

VT Six Gaps and a Notch

233 Miles / 5:48

They call them “passes” out west. On this route you’ll ride all 6 Vermont mountain gaps (2 are unpaved) plus ride down through Smuggler's Notch on the way back to the barn.

VT Four Gaps and a Notch

210 Miles / 5:12

Same flavor as the "Six Gaps" but with no gravel included, and in the opposite direction. You’ll start out with Smugglers Notch and then bag the 4 paved Gaps.

Villages and Sweepers

230 Miles / 5:20

Quaint little New England towns and Smooooooth fast turns. Get the essence of Vermont life in a nice day ride. There’s even a fun little roller coaster stretch of turns coming down through the Groton State Park.

NEK (North-East Kingdom)

221 Miles / 5:00

A really nice loop through the "backwoods" of Vermont where the moose outnumber the people. This area is where the “natives” retire to. It’s one ride I keep coming back for.

Islands and Northern VT Loop

188 Miles / 4:17

Ride along the top edge of Vermont and around Jay Peak. A shorter ride for those who might get a late start, prefer an easy day, or just want to get back to Stowe earlier to allow time for sight-seeing.

VT Tourist

169 Miles / 3:57

A route for those interested in actually stopping to sniff the flowers and see some of the unique things Vermont has to offer. We've combined a few different "touristy" stops with some nice sections of curvy road in-between to provide you with a shorter mileage route that's perfect for getting the true flavor of Northern New England.

I'm sorry if I worried people about gravel roads. I rode the covered bridges route and had no issues. In fact I have ridden many gravel and dirt roads in Vermont with no issues. One year I rode the six gaps and found a stretch of washboard that is not normally there. My lack of experience on that stuff and poor riding technique caused me to stress some muscles in my lower back which hurt for quite some time afterwards. If I had simply stayed in the saddle and ridden through at a moderate speed I would have been fine. The routes are fine and there is no reason to avoid the gravel or dirt roads.

About the washboard phenomenon. It usually develops on an uphill section of gravel as a result of cars and trucks drive wheels slipping while accelerating up the hill. Since it is usually just on the right side of the uphill section, if there is no traffic you can avoid it by riding on the left side of the road for a while.

It is one of the things that causes the DOT to have to regrade the roads throughout the year, so they sometimes will pave just the steeper sections that are prone to develop it, and leave the flat parts unpaved.

I don't have a problem riding on gravel or unpaved roads, afterall my gps tends to route me on one each new adventure! However, riding 2-up it can get a little difficult with the extra person.

Thanks for the descriptions! We're still trying to figure out if we can get there Thursday night then ride with the group Friday and Saturday or if we will not arrive until Friday and just have Saturday with the group.

Seems to me we hit a couple of roads one year that you had to look twice to see if they were paved or not! Sometimes a good "dirt" road is better than a poorly maintained "paved" road. I remember one section that I figured they would have to plow in the winter and mow in the summer with the amount of grass growing in the cracks (chasms) in the road.

This was on a non-NERDs route in southern New Hampshire, I believe. (Couple of years ago after an impromptu breakfast RTE)

Haha... you're probably thinking of Rte 123A which runs along the Cold River in southwest NH. It had so much grass growing up through the cracks you had to watch your traction in the corners, of which there are many. It has been called the "curviest road in NH".

But alas, they paved it last year, so no more grass obstacles. ;)

FWIW, the 'gravel' at the top of Mt Washington was hard-pack on my climbs.

And I snapped photos over my windshield the whole way up ...

Those cracks are nothing awful until they decide to fill them with tar, and the weather warms up enough to make them squirrely. The bare cracks give you traction where those fricken tar snakes do not.

I've read all sorts of treatises on motorcycle riding, but none have adequately addressed how you are supposed to ride when you get on a ride where the DOT lays out tar snakes parallel to the direction of travel. I tend to treat them as I do moguls when skiing, which is to say I generally try to adjust my line to avoid them when I can, or ride them out the best I can, when I can't. Sometimes I just soil my undies, and then roll along.

Don, you have ridden the stuff that is loosely defined as "rural roads" in northern New England. It is a completely different set of circumstances from blasting down the perfectly smooth roads of the south lands. I;m sure that it is similar in other northern climes, though I don't remember them being so bad in the other northern states. Maybe it is the heavy rock (granite) substrates? But New England roads are a true test of your intestinal fortitude if you want to go fast. I go down south for EOM or whatever and feel invincible on those high friction, smooth roads, only to be returned to feeling like a newby dork when I return to the NE. (I'm always a dork, but not a newby at it!)

But... there is one very easy and sure solution to this horrible dilemma. Just slow the fuck down until you feel comfortable. RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE! This rule applies regardless of location or road surface or whether you ate a good breakfast. Sometimes you just have to be smart enough to know when to slow down. Clearly, not everyone qualifies.

Mt Washington Auto Road update: Somehow after leaving work a little early yesterday, I found myself on Rt 16 in Jackson NH heading toward Mt Washington's east side where the auto road is. We'll it was 5:30 and the rangers allow uphill traffic until 6:00 so what the heck- let's go!

The paved sections are all in good shape. some near the top are brand new. The upper middle dirt section is also in nice shape. No ruts, washboard or loose stuff to deal with. There were a couple slow cruisers ahead of us, taking their sweet time
weirdsmiley.gif
. It was about 20 degrees cooler up there and very breezy. Normal for that place. Visibility was pretty clear but not perfect.

This being a Wednesday and near the end of the day, it wasn't very crowded. On a Saturday or Sunday in the summer, I'm sure crowds will be a factor. Plan accordingly.

It is a neat experience being up there and looking down onto a big ski area (Wildcat Mtn). Doesn't happen too many other places that I'm familiar with in the northeast.

Other items worth noting: A lot of west side of the Kancamagus from Lincoln to the summit is repaved. Bear Notch Rd is OK- his has some lumpy sections, still worth riding.

Rt 16 from 302 all the way past Mt Washington up to Gorham is in nice shape. One of my favorite big sweeper type road with great scenery. And finally, Rt 2 from Gorham NH to Bethel ME is in nice shape and usually very lightly traveled. Enjoyed that a lot last night after the mountain descent.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at NERDS next week!

Sounds like following a group riding the routes we want to do will be the best opt-in since so many are familiar with the roads! We plan to arrive Thursday night but we are staying across the street at the B&B since we've never stayed at one before. We'll pop over to say hi and figure out logistics for Friday morning. I think ideally, doing Mt Washington Friday might be best!

Hey you nerdy NERDS! Just a couple of last minute announcements on what to expect next week up in Stowe.

The GPS ride routes are available for download on the first page of this thread. In the evenings, and early morning before heading out, there will be sign-up sheets for ride groups on the big round table in the lobby.

If you are adept at following a GPS route, and would like to volunteer to lead a small ride group, please do. Without group leaders there will be no group rides. We suggest keeping the groups at 10 or fewer riders just to make sure that is fun for everyone, including the group leader. We have had multiple groups riding the same route in the past and its worked out just fine. I'll have a few copies of the route descriptions pages (same as above in post #146) around to refresh your memory when signing up. Having an idea of which ones you'd be interested in is your homework.

We do not have a NERDS banquet or any group dinners planned. Dinner will be available in the hotel each night either in the bar (has about 12 tables plus the bar) or else in the same dining room that you'll be having breakfast in each morning. In the dining room they have an all you can eat buffet, or you can order off the limited menu. Bar dining is only off the bar menu.

To let the kitchen know how much grub they'll need to have prepared each night, you should let them know at the front desk where and when you'll probably be having dinner that evening. If you'd rather head out on the town there are lots of other dining choices, but most folks have stayed at the hotel rather than climbing back on their bikes or walking to the restaurants in the village or up the mountain road.

There is both an indoor and outdoor pool, a couple of hot tubs and a sauna in the hotel, so don't forget your bathing suits! There is also usually a hose setup just to the left of the main entrance in case you feel the need to wash your pride and joy. Bike towels are available from the front desk.

The hotel encourages us to park our bikes under the giant carport at the hotel entrance. First come first served, angled parking. Please use the wooden squares provided under your kickstand to prevent it sinking into the asphalt, even if you have a big-foot. It makes the owners feel better about their newly paved driveway! ;)

Most importantly, have yourselves a great time. The weather forecasts are shaping up nicely. We'll be heading up on Monday and riding a few of the routes early in the week, so we'll be up there waiting for ya!