New 2009 AE or 2012 A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooth14u2

Reaction score
Good day all. Yes I'm new to the forum and thank you all for welcoming me. Sorry for not posting pics, haven't figured that out :rolleyes:

Looking for advice of purchasing a 2009 FJR1300ae or 2012 FJR1300a. I've been to several dealers and narrowed it down to these 2 selections. Not sure on which one I should get as far as bike choice and looking for your opinions. TUESDAY is the day to make a choice.

Been riding since 1984. Bike History: XS400, VF700 Magna, FJ1200, ZZR1100 (British ver), ZZR1200 (loved this sporttourer), M109R.

Here are my questions:

- Price for the 2009 - $14,200 otd. Is that a fair/good price for this leftover? Color - Titanium

- Price for the 2012 - $15,514 otd. Is this a fair/good price for this bike? Color - Blue

-- Is it likely to purchase a new 2012 for less - realistically. Both dealers seemed firm on this price. Bikes started out in the $16,590 or higher range for the 2012 - like $17k

- Other than color change, have there been significant changes to the 2012?

- I'm 5'5, 29 inseam, yes; I guess I would be a tippy-toe'r. Would it be worth lowering the bike (safely) and any suggestions on where to acquire the lowering bones?

Met Dan Woods at one dealer, very considerate, professional and helped me sway towards the 2009AE. He rides (I believe) a 2007AE and love the auto shift. Great conversation - thanks Dan :) . I'm more of the hand-clutch rider so I'm tossed between the bikes, hmmmm. Oh yes, my question, which one maybe a better fit for me? Looking for your rider input for this one :)

Since joing this forum, I've gathered more information, read gr8 reviews and have met gr8 riders - BIG THANKS! The riders and forum helped me lean toward the FJR. Oringinally, I was looking at the 2012 Concours vs the FJR1300. Both machines offer much towards sport touring, however, sitting on the Kawi seemed much taller (at least for me) and I didn't like the rear-end look of the bike - seemed somewhat like a dirt bike, well to me anyways. Wish it had dual exhaust - seemed like it was missing something. Long n short, the FJR stood out as my fav.

Welcome your input and thanks in advance.

Others here know a lot more than I do, but... That '09 is way over priced (by thousands) The '12 otd is a little high but not by much (hundreds). I'd go with the '12.

Speaking of which, I did just that several weeks ago. I'm 5'6", 29" inseam. Yes, I'm on my toes (unless I have a pillion for ballast) but at 1000 miles I'm pretty comfortable with it. I am just careful to watch where I stop and where I'll put my feet.

Thanks earthrooster for the fast repy and info. I was thinking the 09 was on the high end but didn't have anything to compare it to. It appears to be a new (left-over) with zero miles. Dealer states he's selling it as that - "new". Hmmmm.

The 2012 price I'm refering to is the lowest price I've found - atleast with different dealers here in TX. Any others here in this forum located in Texas - San Antonio, Austin, etc who can help? The 2012 dearler I'm working with is Woods Cycle Yamaha in New Braunfels TX.

Point taken "I'm 5'6", 29" inseam. Yes, I'm on my toes (unless I have a pillion for ballast) but at 1000 miles I'm pretty comfortable with it. I am just careful to watch where I stop and where I'll put my feet." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A brand new '09 AE just sold by a dealer on ebay for $10,399 HERE. Just for reference. Might be worth looking a little further away from home and plan on a fly-and-ride if you can't get the local dealer's attention with this sort of information. This is prime buying season so the OMG super deals might not be out there for new bikes.

Ross

Thanks Ross and welcomed the input. That helps me on the 2009. For me, a trip is not an option of in my budget.

So I guess the short and sweet is:

- Who out there purchased a 2012 and what price (realistically please). Even if you may feel you paid to much, it helps me with a range.

- If you paid less than $15,5 for a 2012 otd, what helped you in this deal?

Cycletrader.com doesn't have the best deals, but they are listing new 2011 and 2012 in the range of $13,000 to $13,500. Don't know how much you would pay in tax and license. Listings from Texas seem to be higher. The money saved with a fly-and-ride would more than pay for the cost.

Several weeks ago I bought my 2012 at $13,900 but it was closer to $15k by the time taxes and fees were added. I can't remember exactly how much it was but it wasn't far off.

Note: I did not buy the 48 month Y.E.S. warranty from the dealer because they charge too much (over $700). I'll be buying it from D&H Cycle in Cullman, AL instead ($389 cash)

I paid $11,200 otd (about $1k for sales tax in that price) which included 2 yr YES. For a 2008 new AE in January 2010. Both prices are to high, way to high in my opinion.

I paid $11,200 otd (about $1k for sales tax in that price) which included 2 yr YES. For a 2008 new AE in January 2010. Both prices are to high, way to high in my opinion.
Ok, thanks for your repley.

Getting what I was looking for folks. Please continue...

Just a side note from me...

Im also 5'6 with a 29" inseam and went with a Corbin seat. If you do some reading, its a love/hate relationship with Corbins, But I love mine. It will lower you 1/2-3/4" from low position on stock.

I have a 2007 AE and I feel conflicted about the auto clutch. Last summer I rode hard and fast on some awesome curvy roads here in Colorado and I loved having that finger switch to flick through gears. It was fun and I definitely was able to ride harder and faster with it than on my previous bikes with the manual clutch.

That said, sometimes I hate having it - especially because this bike's throttle is so abrupt and harsh. It would be nice to be able to finese it when the bike is acting up. I also miss coasting into stop lights.

I have a feeling that the all the future sport bikes are going to have auto clutch models that outsell the manual clutch models. Don't know if this is going to take another 10 yrs though :)

Im also 5'6 with a 29" inseam and went with a Corbin seat. If you do some reading, its a love/hate relationship with Corbins, But I love mine. It will lower you 1/2-3/4" from low position on stock.
Wow... gr8 info net. Will consider that as it seems to be an easier solution than the dogbones (lowering kit)

I have a 2007 AE and I feel conflicted about the auto clutch. Last summer I rode hard and fast on some awesome curvy roads here in Colorado and I loved having that finger switch to flick through gears. It was fun and I definitely was able to ride harder and faster with it than on my previous bikes with the manual clutch.

That said, sometimes I hate having it - especially because this bike's throttle is so abrupt and harsh. It would be nice to be able to finese it when the bike is acting up. I also miss coasting into stop lights.

I have a feeling that the all the future sport bikes are going to have auto clutch models that outsell the manual clutch models. Don't know if this is going to take another 10 yrs though :)
Excellent reply Matt. Rolling to a stop was what I was concerned about. While speaking with Dan (he owns an AE), he is use to the auto clutch and swears by it. Me, I still want the control of "me balancing roll-on, roll-off from start and the feeling of feathering the clutch.

Thanks

Which corbin seat, where could I go to look

I find if you "flick" the shift levers very fast the transmission algorithm seems to enter a sport mode. It's as if the revs are set to match the speed. Try it and see what I mean.

Smooth,

I am in Austin. Did a quick look on Craiglist and there are a couple of bikes you should look at:

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3048770095.html an '07 for 7750 or BO this bike has a couple of upgrades. The price leaves you several thousand in your pocket for farkling.

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3011245347.html This one is in San Antonio. A little high for an 08. Worth a look though. Its sitting on carpet in the garage - this ones been taken care of. My dog doesn't even get carpet. I would offer in the 8000 range for this one.

There are a couple more to consider as well an 06 in Austin with 60k on the clock at 5000. An 07 in Fredericksburg with 26k on the clock.

That 09 at the dealership is way overpriced. The 12 you can likely get them lower but thats up to you.

Joe