• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New 2013 at a dealership

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
Was tooling around central Illinois and World of Power Sports has a new 2013.

I just was asking to see how much.

For those of you that are looking for a Gen 3.

11,864 plus tax 89 for paperwork 136 for license

Lots of older models there they should move

Boy, why didn't you buy it?
Cause I do not have enough cash on me to buy it. And to be blatantly honest, I am not a big fan of that dealership. I cannot recall a good experience I have had there. I am not saying things can't change, but I would really like to give someone else my business. Service there in the past has been atrocious. Maybe things are different. I am hoping for the best for them. The first price they shot me was 12,900. I didn't laugh at him but made reference to a few deals out there I have seen on this board and elsewhere.

I personally would be more interested in a celebrity bike. One someone has farkled a little and then gets tired of it. Anything around 15K miles would be great. I like the 13 color, I really like the 14 color, I really like the 15 color too. So any of the 3 would be fine by me.

To paraphrase a friend of mine, "Cav pays cash for his toys!!" I need to build up a big stash of poker money to pull off that kind of move. I am not there yet. If I get really focused, have a good year, and do not buy anything else with stash money......next winter might work out for such a move. Anything I buy for this current bike will have to be able to be transfered over to a gen 3.

Boy, why didn't you buy it?
Cause I do not have enough cash on me to buy it. And to be blatantly honest, I am not a big fan of that dealership. I cannot recall a good experience I have had there. I am not saying things can't change, but I would really like to give someone else my business. Service there in the past has been atrocious. Maybe things are different. I am hoping for the best for them. The first price they shot me was 12,900. I didn't laugh at him but made reference to a few deals out there I have seen on this board and elsewhere.

I personally would be more interested in a celebrity bike. One someone has farkled a little and then gets tired of it. Anything around 15K miles would be great. I like the 13 color, I really like the 14 color, I really like the 15 color too. So any of the 3 would be fine by me.

To paraphrase a friend of mine, "Cav pays cash for his toys!!" I need to build up a big stash of poker money to pull off that kind of move. I am not there yet. If I get really focused, have a good year, and do not buy anything else with stash money......next winter might work out for such a move. Anything I buy for this current bike will have to be able to be transfered over to a gen 3.

Good boy!

Not a great deal, but a pretty good one: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/5520840800.html

And another: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/5532494843.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they have any '14s? (Not that I'm looking or in Illinois; just wondering.)
Did not say they had any 15s in any of their 4 dealerships. Heck, the 13 was the only new one they had according to the salesmen. And it was not in the showroom, it was in the back building and completely covered in dust. The FJR market here is anemic. The Decatur dealership has a massive amount of units there and one FJR. It is a massive place. Lots of SlingShots, CanAms and other non traditional stuff.

@Skooter

Exactly!!! I have to get a great deal on whatever I buy. That sometimes means I pass on good ones. Miles really do not mean very much to me on a new to me bike. It is really about condition!!

Cav, I am thinking about just keeping my Gen 1 now. Got it all farkled up the way I like, just got my heated grips in the mail, install this week. Maybe I will just paint my plastics to change the color. Cash is king and the borrower is a slave to the lender.

...just sitting here trying to save $$ and get out of the stupid debt hole I am in...

Was over at Sportland Yamaha in Champaign Urbana. Looking at parts for the Tech Day coming up.

They have a 2015 ES. They are wanting to move it, It had a large tag on it that said $2000 off. I am not sure how bad they want to move it, but if anyone out there is looking for a 15ES, they have one. If you can find it behind all the Cruisers and BMWs there. I know the salesman had trouble remembering where it was. They do not even have a 2016 planned to arrive until the 15 is sold.

The salesman said they just went up to Michigan somewhere to another dealership and bought a 2014 for one of their customers who wanted RED. He said the place in Michigan was practically giving it away to them. The selling dealership took a loss selling it to Sportland here.

The deals are out there if you can find them.

Some dealers get it, some have their head up their....

I recall walking into an Ohio dealership. On the floor sat a Gen I FZ1. The sticker price on the bike showed $500 more than a friend of mine had just purchased a three year newer Gen II for.

Idiots.

I've dealt with a couple completely inflexible dealerships. The thing is, if we can't work out a deal on a bike (having told them I can do much better if I drive a little ways) then they are ultimately losing out on my service business (if I were to take a bike to a dealer for service) for two reasons: (1) if they couldn't be reasonable with me on the sales price then what reason do I have to believe they'd be fair to me on their service work, and (2) since I didn't buy a bike from them I now have all the more reason to believe they will squeeze me on any service work I bring them.

In this day and age it is easy to shop around. Particularly with new bikes, one of a particular model and year is as good as the next. I get that ease of information makes it more difficult to squeeze a higher margin and that that must be frustrating. At the end of the day dealers sometimes have a choice between making a little (and earning a relationship) and getting nothing. I'm surprised that some just blatantly choose to take the latter route.

Edit: On top of all that, I tend to have a big mouth and am happy to tell folks (in person) where I have been able to work a good deal and where the dealer was inflexible and unaccomodating.

Edit 2: Also, based on the deal I was looking at working on a new '14 last spring, that OTD still seems high for a bike that is now 3 model years old (even if it is essentially the same as a '15).

There is not a new Gen 3 that I would not be happy with. (nice sentence for a teacher)

Essentially, any of them would be a good upgrade. The problem with mine is that I have it like I want it.

To put all the upgrades on the new one would be quite a bit of cash.

I am sure, I could live without many of them (not the seat, my candy butt wouldn't make it.)

World of Power Sports is buying up every dealer in Illinois I think? Besides the Decatur shop they have bought Dealers in Peoria; Bloomington; Springfield and I believe are after Champaign?

There is not a new Gen 3 that I would not be happy with. (nice sentence for a teacher)
Essentially, any of them would be a good upgrade. The problem with mine is that I have it like I want it.
My problem is why? My current steed is not all used up yet. ROI has not been attained and schedule of depreciation has not been realized.
biggrin.png

That's the problem with awesome motorcycles like these. You can't use them up before new and shiny hits the showroom floor. I'm planning on picking up a barely used 2017 in 2020.
biggrin.png

Or ... go look down a few threads in the FOR SALE section, and a 2013 w/ 8k miles for $10k is crying out to be bought in St Louis.

Or ... go look down a few threads in the FOR SALE section, and a 2013 w/ 8k miles for $10k is crying out to be bought in St Louis.

OH, I like that bike for sure, but cash is king. I do not have that much .....yet. I would be all over that in the winter when the deals will be lower.

Additionally, I will never insult a forum member with a low-ball offer and that is all I could afford right now.

Return On Investment is a tricky thing. I know what I paid for it and the cost of ownership, what I perceive of the ROI and what is actual--according to the market--can be vastly different.

I hope to be genuinely looking this winter. Hold onto my bike & then sell it at the height of riding season. Using the money from that bike to Farkle out the Gen 3. That is my plan, but as they say........everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth. Luckily, my wife is not a violent person by nature.

World of Power Sports is buying up every dealer in Illinois I think? Besides the Decatur shop they have bought Dealers in Peoria; Bloomington; Springfield and I believe are after Champaign?

I really hope that is not true regarding Champaign. The other part about them is true. They are creating a monopoly and their way of doing business has not been left a good impression on me in the past.

I talked to the owner of Sportland the other day and I still think he likes the business. But he is getting older and I am sure his dealership with all the manufacturers he has there would command a good amount on the market.

Thinking about it recently, I have been to the Decatur, Bloomington, and Champaign Yamaha dealerships in the last month and NONE of them have a 2016 FJR. So maybe it doesn't mean a thing if they consolidate. I am going to a tech day. More than capable people are there to help myself improve my bike. I rarely buy anything from dealerships because of #1 price, #2 service, #3 availability of products/parts, and #4 they just do not know enough/care about the FJR around here.

That above paragraph is a whole nother thread entirely^^^^

Cav, I am thinking about just keeping my Gen 1 now. Got it all farkled up the way I like, just got my heated grips in the mail, install this week. Maybe I will just paint my plastics to change the color. Cash is king and the borrower is a slave to the lender.
...just sitting here trying to save $$ and get out of the stupid debt hole I am in...
You're not the only one that sounds like Dave Ramsey!
clapping.gif
My wife and I have been "on the program" since September of 2014 and we'll be consumer debt free by early next year. House and everything will be paid off in less than 6 years. BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND.

Not a bad price for a new bike but the depreciation out the door is horrendous on a new bike no matter what.

Looking at parts for the Tech Day coming up.
There's a tech day in IL coming up? Where at? and how do i sign up?

Also, I've had a good experience at BBK in Elgin if you're up north. I've bought 2 bikes there, prices are okay (median to good) but they have excellent service and customer focus.

Latest posts