New England First

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
On Sunday, 4/2/06, Helen and I met three New England area FJR owners plus a perpetual waiter for the first ever group meeting. NE area riders tend to be pretty much solo riders because our fickle weather wrecks plans and personal schedules interfere so this was a momentous occasion :lol: We met at a local seafood restaurant where we got our monthly dose of fat and salt to go with the seafood, but it was good. We spent quite a while going over all the farkles, tweaks and additions before the meal. We then took a meandering ride through the country side to get Chris to a road that is actually on the map so he could find his way home.

Group_2_sm.jpg

It was interesting to note how far from stock everyone’s bikes were. What was striking is how well the farkles were performed and integrated. Guess that happens when you have long cold winters <_< My FJR has a bunch of electro & mechanical doodads for long, cold ride comfort. Dwayne' FJR has appearance, sound & GPS, as well as a cool air pump install and a yet to be populated BlueSea power distribution block to list a few items. His sound system wiring is a marvel. I regret not getting pixs of his helmet locks by his license plate. Russ too has long, cold ride equipment but implemented using different manufacturers and different types of items including a barn door size Cee Bailey. Russ is also the developer of the helmet lock hook. Chris’s FJR is in the final recovery state after getting center punched by a car last year, now he can move on with the farkles. Chris has a really nice set of Two Brothers pipes curtsey of the cage encounter. One of his Wild Bill brackets and peg took a licking, I wonder if it help prevent engine damage??? Bill, the eternal waiter, former ’05 owner and now ’06 waiter was looking over the things he may do to his ’06 above and beyond the factory improvements. Bill’s dealer claims the wait will end on April 10, hmmm, we’ll see :p

Dwayne's helmet locks as shown at Cycle Gadgets:

CGuard1.jpg
CGuard2.jpg

Left to right: Speedfreak (Bill) the waiter; Ionbeam (Alan) and Banditat1200 (Dwayne) checking out Dwayne’s most excellent BlueSea install. Yes he blew a suspender but no, didn't loose his pants :bad:

BlueSeasm.jpg

The two bikes on the right side, the rider in the leather coat with gray hat is FJReady (Russ) and blue hat is ChrisInNH (Chris)

Group_3_sm.jpg

FJR hat, pretty in pink Bill and reverse hat Chris

Chris_2_sm.jpg

Dwayne in red, Russ in blue. Dwayne just discovered that out of the whole group he is the only one that actually makes things. At the end of the day he has something to show for his efforts.

Dwayne_n_Russsm.jpg

After the meal Speedfreak was sent home in his new Hemi painted almost galaxy blue(!) and we saddled up. I took the group for ride-about on some local roads. Hopefully they enjoyed a bit of scenery and some winding roads. We ended up at a local lake near actually named roads. Funny, every time Ionbeam leads a ride he hears two things as soon as the helmets come off: “WHERE THE HELL ARE WE???” and “How the HECK did we get HERE?” :blink: Chris left for home from here as the sun was setting and the temps were falling.

Chris

Chris_sm.jpg

Dwayne

Dwayne1sm.jpg

After a few miles through familiar roads Dwayne left to meet with his cousins that we coincidentally flew past a bit earlier. Helen and I rode back almost to the coast with Russ before calling it a day.

When the weather gets a bit better we will do this again, only focus more on the ride. If anyone in the region wants to be notified for the next meeting/ride contact me via Forum email and I will add you to our contact list.

Alan (Ionbeam)

Last edited by a moderator:
OH CRAP, the bungey cord I had holding my pants up came loose! Luckly no "pfd" (pants falling down) was reported. :D Thanks Allan for organizing the lunch/ride it was a blast! Great meeting everyone. Lets do it again. Dwayne

Hey guys,

Nice meeting you all. I was pretty impressed with the technical level of the farkles (flood lights, cruise control, etc...). I got some pretty good ideas, but many of which I would in no way attempt on my own!

I was also imporessed with your knowledge of those great roads you took us on after the clam fest. The place was only 30 miles from my house and I had to stop a dozen times to check my GPS :unsure:

We'll definitely need to get together soon - hard to believe it was 75 degrees last Friday and now it's frigging snowing. Welcome back to New England I guess.

Thanks for the helmet lock Russ! I'll definitely be using it when I travel for work, I usually end up cramming all of me gear into my side bags along with my helmet - I have to hide the chaps and leather jacket when I visit clients!

Best,

Chris

If you don't mind a FJR rider from Vermont, let me know the next time/place you guys meet as I'd like to see if I can attend.

Tom

Tom,

You'd certainly be welcome but I would love to ride around your neighborhood. I've been up there several times and as you know you have some fine roads for twowheelin.

I considered riding today- wasn't too bad at 7:00 am- but holy crap, did you see the snow coming down around mid-day? Friggin New England. Ya hafta love it.

Next week the nicer weather is supposed to return. Happy Spring!

I wonder if the left coasters have any idea how nice the first sunny day with temps in the 50's can be after enduring a New England winter?

I'm sure Alan will keep you posted.

Russ

Chris, let me know if you want a little guidance/help with heated grips/Jastek/relay wiring etc.

Hey Guy's

nice meeting you all. Looks like we have a nice Brain Trust to assist should us should we need it.

Of course you you all know the when I get my 06 we'll have to break it in on a group ride!

-=SF=-

One of you would have to be wearing a patriots coat, wouldn't ya.........losers! And don't remind me of how many trophy's you have won in the past five years.

Tom,
You'd certainly be welcome but I would love to ride around your neighborhood. I've been up there several times and as you know you have some fine roads for twowheelin.

I considered riding today- wasn't too bad at 7:00 am- but holy crap, did you see the snow coming down around mid-day? Friggin New England. Ya hafta love it.

Next week the nicer weather is supposed to return. Happy Spring!

I wonder if the left coasters have any idea how nice the first sunny day with temps in the 50's can be after enduring a New England winter?

I'm sure Alan will keep you posted.

Russ

Chris, let me know if you want a little guidance/help with heated grips/Jastek/relay wiring etc.
Russ,

Anytime you can get up here I'd love to ride with you. Maybe even show you a road or two you might not know about. I just hope I don't run out of vacation time.

Tom

Snikr, being so close to Lake George you must visit the most exellent Americade Touring Rally. Myself and 7 or 8 others ( non FJR riders) stay in Bolton Landing about 11 miles out on 9n. We arrive on Wendsday and stay till Sunday.Riding in the Adirondacks is just awsome.Let me know if you are going to be there a certain day and we will try to meet up.(if you want). Dwayne

Snikr, being so close to Lake George you must visit the most exellent Americade Touring Rally. Myself and 7 or 8 others ( non FJR riders) stay in Bolton Landing about 11 miles out on 9n. We arrive on Wendsday and stay till Sunday.Riding in the Adirondacks is just awsome.Let me know if you are going to be there a certain day and we will try to meet up.(if you want). Dwayne
I'll be there on Friday for the day. Is that a good day to hook up? And if you don't get over to Vermont to ride some of our roads you are missing out (like RT 17, the App Gap run).

Tom

Hey Tom, I usually do RT100 and RT17 3 or 4 times a year it is a must do for me. We will make more concrete plans when the time gets near.But Friday is good.Me and a buddy went to the Killington classic last year and went up rt100 out of ludlow to rt 17 and made a big loop down to Brattleburo (sp).I think it was rt 30.Its a shame they cancled it. It was small ,but it takes time to grow into somthing bigger.I have some friends in Fairhaven VT I should look up but anyways....all I need is time. Dwayne

Banditat,

The Killington Classic is back ON! Good news for some I'm sure. We'll have to hook up for a Veront ride sometime.

Tom

Banditat,
    The Killington Classic is back ON! Good news for some I'm sure. We'll have to hook up for a Veront ride sometime.

Tom
That is good news! I love riding up north in September/October nice and cool out. Dwayne

Well, some of us "suffered through" a ride in the lower Sierra Nevada Mountains yesterday @ a balmy 65 degrees, of course, it was 45 when I left my house in Sacramento. Nope, we don't get the snow and ice you guys get, but some of us have gotten 2 years worth of rain with more to come.

Don't confuse all of the left coast with TWN's Santa Barbara weather.

I'm glad you all got to get out and ride. You really do meet the nicest people on an FJR!