New member also w/clutch issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean33

Reaction score
Hello to all. I have a 07 with 6300 miles on it. I have the same issues.

I have been reading about it on the forum

for a while now.

Is there anyone that has had Libbys in New Haven look at it.

Hello to all. I have a 07 with 6300 miles on it. I have the same issues. I have been reading about it on the forum

for a while now.

Which clutch issue? Haven't been in New Haven since gradeeatin' in '95 so I can't help with a shop to use.

Dean, I take it u have a sticking clutch when cold. Try this if u haven`t already. Before dropping it into 1st after start-up, pull in yer clutch and spin the throttle a couple of times....then snick it into first. Once underway, just do the same before up or down shifting in the first 5 minutes of your ride...you will most likely notice yer clutch behaving properly after that. In any event, I`m tearing my clutch pack apart this season to clean and soak the plates in oil...not a difficult job really...most guys could do it themselves with the right tools and a new gasket> Good luck with it! :rolleyes:

Dean, I take it u have a sticking clutch when cold. Try this if u haven`t already. Before dropping it into 1st after start-up, pull in yer clutch and spin the throttle a couple of times....then snick it into first. Once underway, just do the same before up or down shifting in the first 5 minutes of your ride...you will most likely notice yer clutch behaving properly after that. In any event, I`m tearing my clutch pack apart this season to clean and soak the plates in oil...not a difficult job really...most guys could do it themselves with the right tools and a new gasket> Good luck with it! :rolleyes:
I have the sticky clutch issue also, my bike won't start with the bike in gear and clutch pulled in when cold, it does get quit a bit better as it warms up but still not quite right. I will give the dealer first chance to make it right if not I will do it myself as you have suggested. Thanks for you impute.

It appears that this is sort of common as this isn't the first time I've read about it. I'll just have to figure out what side to take apart!

shuswaper, do you have to pull the side fairing off of the right side to pull the clutch cover or will removing the lower bolts that hold the fairing on give you enough room to pull the fairing away from the clutch cover and get to the bolts?

I'm very disappointed with the overall clutch/transmission operation on my '06. I experienced the same when riding an '05 before I bought this one, but wrote it off as being particular to that bike. I've had two dealers ride imy '06 and check it out and they just say that they're all like that, and that that's just the way it is. Bottom line, my '05 Harley Sportster has a smoother clutch/transmission action than my '06 FJR, and I never thought I'd say that.

Bottom line, my '05 Harley Sportster has a smoother clutch/transmission action than my '06 FJR,
I know you don't want to hear this but mine (and many other members) works well. Are you experiencing the "sticky plate syndrome" or the "clunking in first gear" problem? Or is shifting in general the illness?

My '05 clutch and shifting is like buttah...

Does it clunk when shifting from neutral to 1st? Sure, most wet clutches do, but absolutely no problems when shifting between gears. I do that very infrequently when riding anyway.

shuswaper, do you have to pull the side fairing off of the right side to pull the clutch cover or will removing the lower bolts that hold the fairing on give you enough room to pull the fairing away from the clutch cover and get to the bolts?
Fuzzy., I would take that fairing panel anyways, just to give me lots of room and thus avoid potential damage to that beutifull paint job. Swinging tools around...well, u know how it goes. Just remember...the right side fairing comes off together with the lower centre cowling, AS ONE PIECE. Otherwise, a simple removal job becomes a difficult task.

Fuzzy., I would take that fairing panel anyways, just to give me lots of room and thus avoid potential damage to that beutifull paint job. Swinging tools around...well, u know how it goes. Just remember...the right side fairing comes off together with the lower centre cowling, AS ONE PIECE. Otherwise, a simple removal job becomes a difficult task.
Thanks shuswaper - do you happen to know anywhere that documents removing the right side fairing? I fear I'd just start pulling bolts that look like they're holding it on and hope I got them all. :)

Hello to all. I have a 07 with 6300 miles on it. I have the same issues. I have been reading about it on the forum

for a while now.

Dean: Had the same problem with my 07. Took it back to the dealer (3000 miles on it). He soaked the clutch plates in oil for two days, then reinstalled them. Bike worked perfect, with no problems since.

Mike

for a while now.

Dean: Had the same problem with my 07. Took it back to the dealer (3000 miles on it). He soaked the clutch plates in oil for two days, then reinstalled them. Bike worked perfect, with no problems since.

Mike
Thanks to all that replied. I am taking the bike back to Libby's in New Haven, Ct. where i purchased it for the ECU change out. Am going to mention the clutch issue with them. Was just wondering if anyone from Ct has already mentioned it to them. Hopeing just to avoid the dealer Bull_ _ _ _.

I do Have the manual(university motors) and am confident that i can do it. But it is still under warrenty.

I do love the forum, have been reading for over a year now. thanks too all. :bike:

I'm very disappointed with the overall clutch/transmission operation on my '06. I experienced the same when riding an '05 before I bought this one, but wrote it off as being particular to that bike. I've had two dealers ride imy '06 and check it out and they just say that they're all like that, and that that's just the way it is. Bottom line, my '05 Harley Sportster has a smoother clutch/transmission action than my '06 FJR, and I never thought I'd say that.
Hmmh. This is the first thing I've read that makes me glad I got the AE.

for a while now.

Mike
Thanks to all that replied. I am taking the bike back to Libby's in New Haven, Ct. where i purchased it for the ECU change out. Am going to mention the clutch issue with them. Was just wondering if anyone from Ct has already mentioned it to them. Hopeing just to avoid the dealer Bull_ _ _ _.

I do Have the manual(university motors) and am confident that i can do it. But it is still under warrenty.

I do love the forum, have been reading for over a year now. thanks too all. :bike:
I wouldn't call this an endorsement but I have a friend, whose opinion I value, that's willing to let them work on his bike (Triumph Trophy). I'm bringing mine down for a couple recalls (ECU and 17 mpg issue) even though I have another Yamaha dealer about 10 mins. away. I talked to the service manager last week, and he was willing to order the ECU and guage package on my promise to bring the bike down as soon as the weather breaks. Seemed like a pretty straight forward guy. YMMV of course.

As far as the clutch goes, mine clunks going into first gear when the oil is cold but once the bike warms up the tranny is pretty smooth.

P.S.

Welcome to the forum and hello from central CT. :bye:

I too have a sticky clutch on my 07. I kept thinking it woud get better with some more miles. I finally contacted the dealer. After they initially said clutches were wear items and not covered I asked them to call Yamaha and explain the clutch would not disengage for two seconds when downshifting. Dealer said Yamaha knew of the issue with dry plates on some bikes and they would cover it all. I'm waiting on the gasket to show up before I leave the bike there.

Be friendly and persistant with your dealer and let him know several or many have had this issue.

I did. I think you could get away with just taking the lower bolts of the fairing off and pulling the fairing away, but I just bought mine and didn't want to chance hurting it yet. so I took it all the way off. you can do it all in about 2hrs. ( not including soak time.) I figured it would take more time to fight with the dealer to get them to do it.

I did. I think you could get away with just taking the lower bolts of the fairing off and pulling the fairing away, but I just bought mine and didn't want to chance hurting it yet. so I took it all the way off. you can do it all in about 2hrs. ( not including soak time.) I figured it would take more time to fight with the dealer to get them to do it.
Thanks Again. With it still cold outside,24 this morning,Ill have a nice month to get the guts to take the clutch apart. Last month i did the auto retrack on the windshield.

Dean :clapping: