New Proposed Safety Rules for Motorcycle Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters Proposes New Safety Rules for Motorcycle Helmets

Link

NHTSA 07-08

Monday, September 29, 2008

WASHINGTON – New rules proposed today will improve motorcycle safety by making it easier for riders to identify and use effective helmets, instead of unsafe “novelty helmets, announced U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters. The proposal will also make it harder for riders to use novelty helmets in states that require DOT-certified helmets, she said.

“Novelty helmets do little to protect riders during an accident,” Secretary Peters said. “This proposal will make it easier for riders to know in advance whether the helmet they buy will keep them safe.”

The proposal would amend the agency’s current motorcycle helmet safety rules to require manufacturers to place a larger, tamper-proof DOT label on the back of certified helmets. The new labels will make it harder for vendors to remove the labels on safe helmets and affix them to the unsafe novelty helmets.

The proposed rule would also strengthen the tests helmets must go through to receive DOT certification, including updated tests on how the helmets hold up during impact, whether objects can penetrate the helmet and how well the helmet stays in place during a crash. Recent tests of novelty helmets which are not DOT certified showed they fail to meet current DOT performance tests.

“As our testing has shown, these ‘novelty’ helmets do not have the energy absorbing capacity to protect a rider in a highway crash,” said David Kelly, Acting NHTSA Administrator. “A DOT-certified and labeled helmet, as proposed today, will help consumers make more knowledgeable decisions when purchasing a helmet.”

The proposed rule announced today will help mitigate the yearly increases in motorcycle fatalities and injuries that have plagued the nation for nearly a decade, Secretary Peters said. Fatalities have more than doubled since 1997--increasing by 144 percent. Yet new data indicate that nearly one in five motorcycle riders in states with helmet laws wear a non-compliant helmet.

In 2006, helmets saved an estimated 1,658 lives. If everyone worn a helmet, an additional 752 lives would have been saved, the Secretary said. During the same year, 4,837 motorcyclists were killed; of those, more than 40 percent weren’t wearing helmets, she said.

Once published in the Federal Register, the agency will seek public comment for 60 days. View the proposed rule here.

Hey, maybe while the cops are checking to see if your DOT sticker is authentic, they can check your exhaust to make sure it's quiet enough for the set standard. As long as we're mandating intelligence, we might as well mandate courtesy too....

Hey, maybe while the cops are checking to see if your DOT sticker is authentic, they can check your exhaust to make sure it's quiet enough for the set standard. As long as we're mandating intelligence, we might as well mandate courtesy too....
I wonder how it will work in Oakland, where PD bike is louder then the rider bike? Do you still get a ticket? :)

That will add to the price of the helmets and just add more power to the Gvt. JUST WHAT WE NEED

That will add to the price of the helmets and just add more power to the Gvt. JUST WHAT WE NEED
Another thread that takes what could be an interesting discussion affecting FJR riders and veers quickly into a divisive kneejerk rant about politics. JUST WHAT WE NEED

Remember folks the exception to politics in the guidelines when it's specifically FJR or motorcycle related relies on YOU staying out of the weeds of divisiveness. Don't try and drive a personal rant about the government through the loophole or you'll find the irritated admins and other members upset that you got the thread closed. Do make it specifically about the FJR and/or motorcycles.

Some helpful hints:

• These are proposed rules. They are not law currently. You have as a citizen have a chance to influence them if you don't like them.
  • Write NHTSA. Tell them why you do or don't like them.
  • Once you find a link to share your thoughts with NHTSA, share the link here.
  • Believe the last hints are crap and it's a foregone conclusion and nothing you say will matter...go find another forum to shout about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like the NHTSA thinks that there is a rash of bikers getting dupped by dishonest retailers selling beanies as 'perfectly safe headwear'. B)

The folks that I know that wear the novelty helmets know exactly what they are doing.

After reading the entire document, I found a few things interesting.

1) They are clearly asking for our input on these proposed changes and give us instructions to submit our input at the bottom.

2) They estimate the changes will only cost the manufacture an additional two cents per helmet.

3) They talked with manufactures and law enforcement about many ideas and decided on modifying the sticker and putting it under the clear coat.

4) An estimated 5.2 million helmets are manufacture per year to meet DOT standards.

5) The current standard allows the a manufacture to adjust certain priamters to achieve a passing score: "In its investigation, NHTSA found that NexL was able to achieve passing results by adjusting the load application rate of the test equipment until a passing displacement result (less than one inch, or 2.54 cm, of displacement) was achieved. In other words, by applying the required tensile load to the helmet at one rate, NexL was able to achieve a passing result, while in a similar test where the load was applied at a different rate, NHTSA results showed a noncompliance."

6) Suggested changes include a standard temperature and humidity for testing helmets.

Overall it was interesting reading. I will be writing up my opinion and submitting it shortly.

Such as, I would like to see a helmet recall system of some sort created. Three weeks ago at one of a local dealer, I noticed a helmet that failed random testing two years ago. It was discounted as an old model, but it was still for sale. Over the last seven years, 23.66% of randomly tested helmets failed the performance testing, including my wife's helmet. We never received any notice, how would we have known if I did not look for info like this?

Another opinion is to put an expiration date on the inside of the helmet. Many riders are not aware helmets have a life span. It is up to the rider to replace it when it gets old, but at least they have the knowledge. My helmets manufacture date was on the box, it is not in my helmet.

Do I have concerns? Yes. Such as, the label being placed under the clear coat. Many riders get their helmet custom painted. How is this going to be handled?

Another thread that takes what could be an interesting discussion affecting FJR riders and veers quickly into a divisive kneejerk rant about politics. JUST WHAT WE NEED

Remember folks the exception to politics in the guidelines when it's specifically FJR or motorcycle related relies on YOU staying out of the weeds of divisiveness. Don't try and drive a personal rant about the government through the loophole or you'll find the irritated admins and other members upset that you got the thread closed. Do make it specifically about the FJR and/or motorcycles.

Some helpful hints:

• These are proposed rules. They are not law currently. You have as a citizen have a chance to influence them if you don't like them.
  • Write NHTSA. Tell them why you do or don't like them.
  • Once you find a link to share your thoughts with NHTSA, share the link here.
  • Believe the last hints are crap and it's a foregone conclusion and nothing you say will matter...go find another forum to shout about it.

since the is a thread about gvt regulations I would think it is appropriate. Please tell me how gvt regulations are not political.

since the is a thread about gvt regulations I would think it is appropriate. Please tell me how gvt regulations are not political.
Government regulations are political. However, this is a thread about a motorcycle specific aspect of regulations and are exempted from the guidelines of no politics. Your little rant, however, stretches that exemption to the limit.

If you can't see that distinction....I HIGHLY suggest you don't participate further in this thread.

They're doing it backward, put the tamper-resistant (and probably ugly as hell) stickers on any piece of headgear that DOESN'T provide reasonable protection, let the 2-wheeled tractor pilots deal with it, not us!

I have mixed feelings.

My "survival of the smartest" impulse says anyone stupid enough to wear a 'novelty' helmet, or no helmet at all, is simply inviting death.

On the other hand, I've always been a little perplexed by helmet safety standards (i.e. does "Snell" make it safer?), and would welcome a little more regulation when shopping.

Yeah! A whole 3 cents per helmet. Did you read the PDF?

It sounds to me like the NHTSA thinks that there is a rash of bikers getting dupped by dishonest retailers selling beanies as 'perfectly safe headwear'. B)
Actually it appears that due to weird state laws, the cops can't cite you if a helmet has a DOT sticker, if it's only the cop's personal opinion that the sticker is fake. So I assume there's some frustrated cops out there. I'd never heard of the "Doing Our Thing" dodge, but I have to admit it's clever.

I thought it was about using decent stickers with anti-forgery measures, but it's not.... it's just putting them under the clear-coat with the helmet brand name on it so you can't sell generic stickers. Jesus H. Christ on a pogo-stick, is this the best they can do? They estimated a real sticker with a hologram on it would cost about 70 cents and be too much of an economic burden on the manufacturers! Wow. I find it hard to believe helmet profit margins are that low...

Actually it appears that due to weird state laws, the cops can't cite you if a helmet has a DOT sticker, if it's only the cop's personal opinion that the sticker is fake. So I assume there's some frustrated cops out there. I'd never heard of the "Doing Our Thing" dodge, but I have to admit it's clever.

I thought it was about using decent stickers with anti-forgery measures, but it's not.... it's just putting them under the clear-coat with the helmet brand name on it so you can't sell generic stickers. Jesus H. Christ on a pogo-stick, is this the best they can do? They estimated a real sticker with a hologram on it would cost about 70 cents and be too much of an economic burden on the manufacturers! Wow. I find it hard to believe helmet profit margins are that low...
Nevada is one of those weird states.

Info can be found here:

Link 1

Link 2

PLEASE, let's not start debating Nevada law, or any state law!!!!

I only posted the links as it give some background to why some states struggle to enforce current helmet laws and how a change in stickers can help those states.

The proposed laws also address the testing itself. Personally, I am more interested in those changes then just the new sticker. I am going to wear a DOT helmet with or without the new stickers. However, I want to understand the testing and maybe have input to make the furture helmets I buy safer.

Another opinion is to put an expiration date on the inside of the helmet. Many riders are not aware helmets have a life span. It is up to the rider to replace it when it gets old, but at least they have the knowledge. My helmets manufacture date was on the box, it is not in my helmet.
My Arai helmet has the manufactures date stamped into the chin strap.

Arai recomends replacing the helmet within 5 years of first use or 7 years from date of manufacture.

This is what happens when those who don't ride make laws and regulations.

My wife's new helmet has an ugly DOT sticker under the clearcoat. It looks cheap and detracts from the helmet. I covered it up with a more decorative design. I guess if this becomes law I will have to uncover it or the police will think my wife is wearing a full faced novelty helmet. I also have to wonder what happens to those folks who custom paint their helmets. Oh well, I guess we'll see when it happens.......

Latest posts