New suspension settings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiosity, since the thread is resurrected now. Was this posted back when you had your GenI?
Edit* Guess it would only matter if the changed the suspension from GenI to GenII, which I do not know the answer to.
Yep, this is from the Gen-I (2005). I run close to the same settings on the Gen-II(2007). Right now I'm running the front clickers at 8,8, preload at three lines, and I can actually use the rear at SOFT most of the time.

But I think my suspension changes from Gen-I to Gen-II have as much to do with improved riding habits as suspension changes. The springs on my 2007 are definitely stronger and better, but I've worked hard this past year to greatly minimize my lean angles, especially when two-up fully loaded.

Holy sheep shit, Batman! Just tried the settings above and, man, what a difference. Got a little adjusting to do, but it's definitely a lot better than it was. Thanks, Jeff.

And during the test runs, I crossed that magical 10K mark. Feel like I'm finally gettin' this bike broke in.

OK, I was thinking about making these changes to my '06 tonight, or over the weekend at the latest, but then I noticed this line in the original post:

"This must be what the 06 guys feel all the time."

So my question now is what year did Jeff perform these changes to? Also, UCTOFEEJ did the changes on his '07, and is happy with the results. Are the changes shown in the original post correct for an '06?

So my question now is what year did Jeff perform these changes to? Also, UCTOFEEJ did the changes on his '07, and is happy with the results. Are the changes shown in the original post correct for an '06?
The original post was for a 2005.

The settings are still very applicable for 2006, and IMHO, require minor changes for the 2007. I have not had the pleasure of test riding a 2008 (read: Nobody has been crazy enough to let me on their 2008) yet.

My suggestion is to start with the initial settings at the top of this thread on 2006 and earlier.

For 2007, set both the front clickers to 8/8 and leave the preload at three(3) lines. Heavier riders (200+ lbs.) will want to adjust the preload to two(2) lines. At least MY 2007 has much better stock springs than any 2006 or earlier FJR I've ridden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a svelte 210 lbs, so I went with the harder settings listed above just to see how it feels. For local riding, I'll probably leave it where it is. However for long-ish trips (300 miles or more), I'll probably back it off a bit to soften the ride for my kidneys.

The stock settings were way too soft for my tastes.

I went with the 8-8-3 and 6 in the back on an '08 and noticed an immediate difference, for the better. I'm about 220.

Just to jump on the bandwagon for the resurrected thread, I too made the changes and damn, what a difference.

I hadn't checked the settings before but when I did they were at:

Preload 4.5

Compression 18

Rebound 13

The rear was already at 6 so no changes.

Now I know what "feeling the geometry change" means in a corner. I didn't realize how much the front end was diving lifting and the wheelbase changing during the corners until I rode with the new settings. Bike just feels much more controllable and consistent in the corners.

I know...shame on me for not checking, but much better now!

Stef - Amigo - we are going to have to have a long conversation about your conscience....Handing over a bike with Stinkos and marshmellows in the fork tubes.......(The conversation will have to be over several Tamave Saris of course) :D :D

I hadn't checked the settings before but when I did they were at:preload 4.5

Compression 18

Rebound 13

The rear was already at 6 so no changes.
OMG!!!

Did your bike belong to a nine year old before you? Or did somebody that used to own a Goldwing set up your suspension?

Yuck!!!

I went with the 8-8-3 and 6 in the back on an '08 and noticed an immediate difference, for the better. I'm about 220.
As you approach the 10k miles mark on the odometer, you might consider stiffening the preload by one mark to two(2). That's the first change I would make before changing the clickers.

I don't remember this thread when it was first out. It is definitely informative.

I set my suspension and wrote it down not long after I got the bike. I am going to try this one.

Thanks for the info Jeff. I am going to link this thread to the FAQs thread.

ok, i'm really new to the FJR. It's my 2nd bike and my first was a Suzuki c50.

What are these clickers and how do i set them to these numbers? I have an 08

Having no real frame of refrence for suspension changes, i can't say that these would be better or worse for me

Having no real frame of refrence for suspension changes, i can't say that these would be better or worse for me
Stop! If you have no idea what Jeff is talking about, don't mess with the shit. Find someone near you who does and bribe a tutorial. Seriously.

Stop! If you have no idea what Jeff is talking about, don't mess with the shit. Find someone near you who does and bribe a tutorial. Seriously.
Noted. Thanks.
Seriously. Take some time and go through the owner's manual cover to cover. You'll really learn a lot about your bike and appreciate it even more!

EDIT: Wait for a rainy day, of course.

The original post was for a 2005.

The settings are still very applicable for 2006, and IMHO, require minor changes for the 2007. I have not had the pleasure of test riding a 2008 (read: Nobody has been crazy enough to let me on their 2008) yet.

My suggestion is to start with the initial settings at the top of this thread on 2006 and earlier.

For 2007, set both the front clickers to 8/8 and leave the preload at three(3) lines. Heavier riders (200+ lbs.) will want to adjust the preload to two(2) lines. At least MY 2007 has much better stock springs than any 2006 or earlier FJR I've ridden.
This is interesting info Jeff. I am completely unaware of any stock spring changes in the front or rear suspension on the Gen II models 06 to 08. So are you saying your 2007 stock springs just "feel" better or are you saying or implying there have been spring changes on any Gen II years? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks for your help on this. PM. <>< :unsure:

Thanks for the advice to us newby's. I will wait until I get back to D&H for a little help with this one.

This is interesting info Jeff. I am completely unaware of any stock spring changes in the front or rear suspension on the Gen II models 06 to 08. So are you saying your 2007 stock springs just "feel" better or are you saying or implying there have been spring changes on any Gen II years? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks for your help on this. PM. <>< :unsure:
Long ago I became convinced that what the suspension gurus claimed was true. Everybody pretty much has the same springs. What makes the difference is how carefully they are inspected and graded.

It's my opinion that my 2007 came with a much better "grade" of springs. The fronts are likely to be much closer to the specified compression force and are also holding that force/rating better over their life span. In other words, it's a better quality spring than what was on any Gen-I bike that I've worked on or ridden.

I've ridden some 2006 that felt like Gen-I, and some 2006 that felt like my 2007. So I'm assuming that Yamaha made a supplier change, or the supplier made a quality inspection change sometime during 2006 production.

At 200 pounds I am at the outer limits of the static and rider sag limits, and will be looking to do a full suspension ugrade as I push the FJR pretty hard and am touching down in the curves.

Now to convince the wife that this is something that I really, really, really need to do ... that may take a while.