New toy...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khrome

Reaction score
Well been looking around at picking up a dual sport bike. After much reading and watching cool vids on you tube I got hooked on the SuperMoto bikes. So I picked up a friend to keep the FJR company on those long cold nights in the garage. Its a blast around town. Its a 2008 Yamaha WR250X. I love having a fuel injected bike of this style thats street legal.

1e1069527481d95df5e696bbe5dfa91f0_large.jpg

9c5ea5e9dc5155d14e3a3a8bc798f0b80_large.jpg

YOU BITCH!

Damn I want one of those.....

Garage full.... bank account empty.... Visa clear....<nooooooooooooooo>

:lol:

Congrats on the new toy. Try to keep the front end down. Hey, I said "try". :)

Fricken sweet!!! :D I probably visit that page on the Yamaha site more than any other. How do you like it so far! Is the fuel tank big enough to go anywhere of any moderate distance? Nice purchase, I'm insanely jealous!

I am really enjoying it. It's just so light and easy to throw around :yahoo: It will lay down in the corners so easily. The first bike I ever owned was a 250 dual sport and I definitely had a lot of fun and a lot of chicks errr memories with that bike :p

Fuel Injected so you click the key on, wait a sec for the fuel charge and it snaps to attention. Shifts are buttery smooth. Clutch pull is very light, 6 speed transmission and I really like that aspect, doesn't feel like your wringing the engine at all at highway speeds. As I said the transmission slips into gears with almost no pressure. The engine has almost no vibration which is the amazing thing to me. It is a slice of the R1 engine with the air box door and ex up valve which you already probably know. It is surprisingly comfortable, it does have rear pegs but I havn't taken the wife for a spin yet. I have not had a chance to check my actual fuel mileage yet but it has to be over 50 miles per gallon. The low fuel light came on at about 75 miles and it trips the odometer just like the FJR and starts counting up from zero to tell you how far you have traveled on your last 2.1 liters which should be good for another 30 miles.

A few guys have rung theirs out to a top speed of around 96mph. The headlight is surprising bright for a bike of this caliber, the rear led tailight is very highly visible even in daytime which I like, and the blinkers while on the large side do add substantail visibility also which I like.

:dance: i can tell its going to be a great summer of riding, the only problem I will have is trying to decide when I take my first trip to the dragon this year, whether to ride the FJR or trailer both bikes to Tenn. so I get to ride both :blink:

You are not helping me to avoid a third bike in the garage. "it's a commuter bike" Yeah, that will be a good rational justification for spending $6k.

Trailering is still a sin. You just need to take two trips. One for the FJR and one for the WR. <helping> And I hope your wife is pixie size if she's going to ride on the back of the WR. That's a small seat, especially for two!

You are not helping me to avoid a third bike in the garage. "it's a commuter bike" Yeah, that will be a good rational justification for spending $6k.
Trailering is still a sin. You just need to take two trips. One for the FJR and one for the WR. <helping> And I hope your wife is pixie size if she's going to ride on the back of the WR. That's a small seat, especially for two!

Yep it's my commuter :clapping: I had a 4 wheeler sitting in my garage gathering dust so I sold it for $5k and so the bottom line it did'nt cost me much .... Oh and just to let you know I have full coverage added onto my existing policy for $17 a month :glare:

I have really been on the edge of buying a dual sport bike. I like hearing the feedback on the Yamaha's. Here is a current test on two of them:

https://www.biketestusa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=6094

I want something that will be more dirt oriented but still not kill me doing the 150mi ride to get to the dirt from where I live. I basically ride from Charlotte NC up to the mountains and/or Smokies and would really love to do the dirt forest roads.

I want an ecomnonical bike and not a $10,000+ full blown thing like the BMW GS or the big KTM 990's. I have been toying with a Kawi KLR650, some of the smaller KTM's, etc.

If course I would love to have a new ZX-14 too. :rolleyes:

Mark

I have really been on the edge of buying a dual sport bike. I want something that will be more dirt oriented but still not kill me doing the 150mi ride to get to the dirt from where I live. I basically ride from Charlotte NC up to the mountains and/or Smokies and would really love to do the dirt forest roads.

I want an ecomnonical bike and not a $10,000+ full blown thing like the BMW GS or the big KTM 990's. I have been toying with a Kawi KLR650, some of the smaller KTM's, etc.
You might want to look at the new 650 BMW and the shortly out 800GS with the rotax motor. Both cheaper than the big 1200GS and a lot more handy for what you're describing. Normally I wouldn't suggest anyone look at BMW, but the 800 isn't really a BMW. :D It should be way more dependable than that!

mmonroe,

i have owned the KLR 650 and the KTM LC4... i wanted something lighter weight and easier to throw around... the 650's would be good for the long haul on the road, but not better once you got to the offroad area...

khrome;

That is AWESOME!!! I had a dual sport but the Supermotard's are awesome. No need for smooth turns, just pitch it sideways and GO! At the track of course, not on the streets... :crazy:

At the track once, I had a guy out brake me heading into a turn. I thought that guy is flying. Next thing I know the bike is sideways and flying. I thought he was going down! I finally realized it was a Supermotard and he was doing what they do. Scared the crap out of me because I thought I was going to collect him in the turn. Fun stuff though.

Enjoy that bad boy and be careful! :good:

I've heard these compare very favorably to Suzuki's DRZ400SM even though they're down 150ccs. Get it out to a go-kart track and wring its neck! :D

I reeeaaaaaaaally want a Husqy SM610 to play around with - they got fuel injection this year, so no dicking around with carbs, which I hate - but there's no way I can justify tossing down $8k on what amounts to a toy. I could have one, but I'd have to sell the FJR to do it. If the Feej doesn't see a lot of two-up seat time this year it may happen, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the perfect second bike for me :coolsmiley02: I gotta learn to back it in though :coolsmiley: