Newfoundland in June.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Newfoundland. My suggestion would be to get of the TCH(Trans Canada Highway) as much as possible. A side trip to any of the bays would be a great experience. More specifically I would suggest a trip to Fogo Island, another would be to do the loop around the Bonavista Bay and finally if you stay in St. John's take day trips around the North Shore of Conception Bay back to St. John's via Trinity bay and the TCH, the southern Shore and back to St. John's via St. Mary's Bay and the TCH, and finally the Cape Shore via Salmonier Line onto North Harbour and south to Branch, north on the Cape Shore road, to Placentia, continuing to the Whitbourne on the TCH and the TCH to St. John's.

The Later run is one of my favourite runs.

Try to cover your bike on crossings. Many times you will be first one on the ferry which means you are real close to the gate. Rough seas can give you a seawater bath especially from an Argentia return.We would pull over at Port aux Basque to adjust clothes, do final setup on bike etc. but mostly to let the rush traffic go first with a 20 min. lead. This proved to be a worthwhile tip.

Make sure you have mosquito nets, when the wind stops the buggers appear !

We've ridden the Rock twice for the beautiful scenery, but will return again some early August for the festival season. The Newfund Landers are great folks !

You will be tight on time, but should the opportunity present itself, in Fortune, take the high speed ferry to St Miquelon for an overnighter , you can leave your ride in Fortune in a parking coral .

ride safe

Roadancer
Thanks Roadancer. I have experienced the "bike wash ferries" in the past, and had not even given a thought to covering the bike on this trip. I do recall a lot of mozzy's on my NS trip, so will definitely be better prepared this time around.

Pete

I live in Newfoundland. My suggestion would be to get of the TCH(Trans Canada Highway) as much as possible. A side trip to any of the bays would be a great experience. More specifically I would suggest a trip to Fogo Island, another would be to do the loop around the Bonavista Bay and finally if you stay in St. John's take day trips around the North Shore of Conception Bay back to St. John's via Trinity bay and the TCH, the southern Shore and back to St. John's via St. Mary's Bay and the TCH, and finally the Cape Shore via Salmonier Line onto North Harbour and south to Branch, north on the Cape Shore road, to Placentia, continuing to the Whitbourne on the TCH and the TCH to St. John's.
The Later run is one of my favourite runs.
Thanks NB, I will check these loops out and see what we can fit in. We are going to be slabbing it up to North Sydney to get the ferry, so want to spend as much time on the more local roads as possible. Experience has shown me that is the best way to soak up the scenery, culture, people etc. and maximize the enjoyment of the trip. Maybe see you when we are up there.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Three buddies and I did this trip last June / July. It was fantastic. I'm originally from Newfoundland but live in Ontario now. We also took in the Bay of Fundy in NB, Canada Day in PEI and the Cabot Trail in NS.

A couple of things I recommend if you have the time...the boat ride at Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne. It was awesome. It simply looks like its right out of Jurassic Park! Also, we took a side trip to Elliston (up near Bonavista) to see the puffins. You can get right up close...mind you, the road is dreadfully bad to get there. Last recommendation is the Irish Loop on the Avalon Peninsula...a very scenic ride with lots of twists and elevation changes.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Dennis

Hi Pete,
Three buddies and I did this trip last June / July. It was fantastic. I'm originally from Newfoundland but live in Ontario now. We also took in the Bay of Fundy in NB, Canada Day in PEI and the Cabot Trail in NS.

A couple of things I recommend if you have the time...the boat ride at Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne. It was awesome. It simply looks like its right out of Jurassic Park! Also, we took a side trip to Elliston (up near Bonavista) to see the puffins. You can get right up close...mind you, the road is dreadfully bad to get there. Last recommendation is the Irish Loop on the Avalon Peninsula...a very scenic ride with lots of twists and elevation changes.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Dennis
Thanks Dennis,

We are in the final planning stages, so this is very helpful info. I did the Cabot Trail in NS a few years back, and it was awesome. Won't have time for that this year, but the boat ride sounds like a possibility, as we are aiming to spend some time around Gros Morne.

Pete