No Country For New Bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good buy for the money, hugely popular in Europe for years, and riotously dull for the type of riding and thrills I enjoy on occasion. No thanks.

I have a tough time seeing it as superior to an SV650 with a set of GIVI bags for a couple thousand less. also SV has a lower seat height which is a BIG deal for inexperienced people.

This bike does have a link with the SV-650. It uses the Hawk engine, and the Hawk was nothing if not the first SV-650. It was the Japanese lightweight twin for ten years.

But $10,000? Really? I have a pretty hard time believing that any thinking human being is going to walk past this $8,000 ABS-equipped beauty to buy a touring bike with a 30-year-old cruiser engine.

Oh, and as for the 65 bhp, that has to be "crank" power. Maybe even marketing dept. power. This engine has 38º offset crank throws for each cylinder to correct for the 52º cylinder angle, and there's no center bearing. A 65 rwhp race Hawk has a fuse.

I have to give Honda points for consistency. Everything they've brought to market since they effed up the VFR has been stupidly expensive and technically flawed.

This bike does have a link with the SV-650. It uses the Hawk engine, and the Hawk was nothing if not the first SV-650. It was the Japanese lightweight twin for ten years.
Yeah, but that's because there was no other non-cruiser Japanese lightweight twins out there then. The NT-650 engine was a joke. I've owned both bikes, and just bought my 2nd SV.

SV-650: outstanding engine in a budget frame & suspension.

NT-650: crap engine in a technological marvel of a frame with single-sided swingarm and all the goodies.

The Deauville is a great first bike. It was my first bike a few years ago. This was in the UK, the 650 version. The updated one looks much nicer. Pretty light, easy to pick up (oops), etc.

Commuting it was great. Built in panniers, standard ones are narrow, great for filtering. More manly than the scooters, and easy to tour on.

I got the FJR a year later, kept both for a few months till I moved. I took the Deauville all over the UK, was great. Also took it for a week all through France when my FJR decided to spew coolant all over the place.

zero problems with the Honda.... Recommended as a first bike for the touring-inclined.

I think we may see a smaller cc trend in motorcycles, not to meantion a growth in "sport touring" and "adventure touring type bikes. I know everyone in this forum is a fricken genious and we have been way ahead of trends and we ride what we like. I like all knids of bikes, but I think the market over did it with the big bore v twin wanabee harley's and the such. I tired of going into dealerships and 70-90% of the bike are v-twin crusiers.

Time to remember 500-800cc bikes have been winning races for years. Even that one across Northern Africa. Check out the history and the engine size on some of the top bikes.

Don't get me wrong there are some big bore bigs out there I would love to ride (V-Max looks interesting), but like muscle cars....things change!

Yeah, but that's because there was no other non-cruiser Japanese lightweight twins out there then. The NT-650 engine was a joke. I've owned both bikes, and just bought my 2nd SV.
SV-650: outstanding engine in a budget frame & suspension.

NT-650: crap engine in a technological marvel of a frame with single-sided swingarm and all the goodies.
Hey, I didn't say it was flawless, I was just making the connection that it was first. :D
I think the fact that the engine was such crap is half the reason I like the Hawklette. So many people buy into horsepower but the Hawklette is just the important bits. When you pass the guy on the R6 with race plastic during a track day, he knows you didn't power past him. :)

Ain't got nothin on the PC800...

conv_dsc01558.jpg

:jester:

That's not overspray. It's rider anal leakage. Monkey butt puss.

Yeah, that lil' hoss has been rode sum hard miles and put away wet!!

(sorry for the graphic language)

I thought this MIGHT be a good lighter weight sport tourer, but a couple things dissuade me as we've discussed it and I've checked out its specs. First is the price -- at least a thou too high for what it offers. Second is the weight, which seemingly could be significantly less with a two cylinder engine in an aluminum frame (they're back to steel here?). Third is the discussion about the engine, especially given the price -- if this isn't a new, light 2 cyl., a la the SV's V-twin or the Ninja 650R/Versys parallel twin, Honda is just punking us . . . again. For a company whose engineering, quality and range of products has been stellar in the past, they sure have been disappointing in their offerings over the last few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
After riding that PC800 800 miles in 2 days, I can say that I dig the platform. One that ran/looked right would probably be even better. I was intrigued by this Deauville.....until I saw the price tag. $10k?!? They are out of their minds....

V-Strom DL650 -> NT700V Deauville

-2 hp

+6 Nm torque

Chain -> Shaft

22 L -> 19.7L gas tank

194 kg -> 236 kg dry weight

33" seat -> 31.5" seat.

6 sp -> 5 sp

Bore x Stroke: 81 mm x 62.6 mm -> 81 x 66 mm

I'd be ok with a second hand one, or maybe a "last year's" model sale. The price point is too high for what you ask for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a good ride for an 80 year old.

My preference for a new lighter sport tourer would be based on the Suzuki SV- 1000 engine.

You could make something out of that.