No low beam headlights??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketdoc

Reaction score
My bike had been in the garage, not run for a month (winter) plugged into a trickle battery charger. I rolled it out and fired it up, the low beam headlights flashed on, then were off. The high beams work fine when I toggle the switch, but the low's stay off. I checked the headlight fuse, it looked OK, but changed it anyhow after spending that much time getting to it.

I am no electric wizard at the best of times, but would appreciate the best approach to this problem before heading over to the service guys.

thanks, John

This may seem an odd suggestion, but there is a pretty good chance that you have a pair of burned out bulbs :huh: Pulling one out and checking it (give it a look or ohm check) would be an inexpensive first step that may save a lot of needless hassles. The headlights on my FJR have burned out within hours of each other. You may not have noticed one was out and the other just went, or there may have just been a cosmic coincidence and they both went at once.

Headlight relays #1 & #2, the ECU connection to relay #1 and all associated wiring pretty much have to be working to get high beams to turn on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that god is telling him to only ride at night.

Hey, spoke what ya want em for? So you can get some street cred from the other klowns in here?....like bust? He has worked hard to get up to speed with the other nazi's in here...i.e. spelling and what not. He's worked hard to add his H.I.D.s and pax footpegs and water bottle attached to the pax footboard. He even has custom brake "resavour" covers that allow him to look at his purty self whilst he's going on his skoot nowhere in his michiginian garage...going...."VROOOOOOOOOM...............VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM...........VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM".

If ya want lights....turn yer high beems on.
Your god made me an atheist....who are you to question your god?

This may seem an odd suggestion, but there is a pretty good chance that you have a pair of burned out bulbs :huh: Pulling one out and checking it (give it a look or ohm check) would be an inexpensive first step that may save a lot of needless hassles. The headlights on my FJR have burned out within hours of each other. You may not have noticed one was out and the other just went, or there may have just been a cosmic coincidence and they both went at once.
Headlight relays #1 & #2, the ECU connection to relay #1 and all associated wiring pretty much have to be working to get high beams to turn on.

I concur...burned out bulbs. Happens quite often with these new fangled FJR's :blink:

That would be too simple, but that is where I will start. Both bulbs were functioning normally when rolled up to the garage door before I parked it. I'll pull the bulbs and have a look first, then start with the hi-beam switch, then see where it goes. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the thoughts.

RCKTDC

Do you know for sure you had two on to begin with? Ions right, same thing happened to me on a trip south. One quit, 4 engine starts later,#2 kablooied.

Yeah, it sounds weird but I've had 2 different vehicles (other than the fjr) where 2 headlight bulbs crapped out at the same time. 2 were low beam, 2 were high beam. Start checking the easier stuff first.

After checking the bulbs with an ohm meter. Get some electrical contact cleaner and pull the switch. Don't know if they are sealed on the FJR but on R-1 corrosion would get in there from time to time due to washing.

Definitely what Rad and Ion said.

I've had my 04 for 4 years...bought not quite brand new...and on 3 separate occasions, a right high beam has died within 25 miles of the left, and twice, a right low beam has peed the bed within 24 hours of useage since the left crapped out.

It's something that's really weird with FJRs. When one goes out, high or low, be VERY careful, 'cause the other side's goin' out SOON!

I've spent damn near as much on headlight bulbs on this beast than I have for everything on my 95 Honda Del Sol in 110,000 miles of service! :)

I found it true on HID retrofit bulbs too. One when out sometime on Day 5 of the IBR and the other went out less than 72 hours later.

I think that god is telling him to only ride at night.

Hey, spoke what ya want em for? So you can get some street cred from the other klowns in here?....like bust? He has worked hard to get up to speed with the other nazi's in here...i.e. spelling and what not. He's worked hard to add his H.I.D.s and pax footpegs and water bottle attached to the pax footboard. He even has custom brake "resavour" covers that allow him to look at his purty self whilst he's going on his skoot nowhere in his michiginian garage...going...."VROOOOOOOOOM...............VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM...........VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM".

If ya want lights....turn yer high beems on.
Your god made me an atheist....who are you to question your god?
Dude, were you just talking to yourself about god?

The same thing will happen with car headlights, if not fixed asap the other light will go.

just takes a little longer with a car.

Kevin

Yep, it was the bulbs, both blew at the same time. Picked up a pair of replacement PIAA's Extreme and the good news, they are guaranteed for one year. Retail 69.99 each!!@#^& for @&*@!# sake!! My friend in the parts department knocked off 20% which was nice, but that is just nuts!!

How and why these bulbs blow like this, I will always wonder.

Yep, it was the bulbs, both blew at the same time. Picked up a pair of replacement PIAA's Extreme and the good news, they are guaranteed for one year. Retail 69.99 each
Good news: Easy fix!

Bad news: Coulda had HID's for less than that....

Don't really need the HID's, the ballasts and the other drivers flashing me at night. These lights on the FJR with the PIAA bulbs give me better light than I have ever imagined on a motorcycle. I slow down at night riding because of all the forest rats.

Thanks to all for the thoughts/suggestions.

See some of you at the CFR in June :yahoo: