Nolan 104

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a nice video on this helmet by Revzilla:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXuze4gxje4&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received my N104 yesterday. The vision view & venting is sooo much better.

I have a N102 Large but it is rounder in shape than the N104. I called Nolan USA 866-243-5638 before buying and they suggested the XL version and they were correct.

So if you are interested in buying one, call Nolan and they can pretty much size you up from your current helmet size.

Also, Revzilla has a very nice exchange policy if things don't go according to hoyle.

Here is a little modification that I added to the Visor Mount to Tighten Up the Visor (Stay in Open Position (without wind blowing closed) at speed & minimize the Visor modulation.

Nolan104_Taping3.jpg

I used 2-3 Layers of Black Duct Tape overlapping each other to Add some Thickness/Friction to the Visor's area of Contact on the Helmet Latch area on Both Sides of Visor Attachment areas.

The N102 version had a Screw Adjusted Cam that could be adjusted where as this version does not.

First time out with my new N104.There is a little more wind noise than my old RF700, but it still fits very snug. That big visor gives a wideview and the fit is very good. Right out of the box it fits my head shape better than the Shoei. I think I made a good investment!

First time out with my new N104.There is a little more wind noise ...
If you fill the inside Ear Pockets with some soft packing foam, you will find the noise you experience will go away. I believe those pockets are there if you want to use the NCom system.

1341581805[/url]' post='979556']Hi Speedyegg,

How has it been in the rain?

The N104 looks like it's my next helmet, but like you I deal often with rain.
As far as fog control, the pinlock system works great. I used to get some moisture on the inside sheild during heavy rain. However after some experimentation it looks like it was coming in from the top vent. Once i closed it, i did not see the moisture build up. I really like the helmet (huge viewport, great ventilation, awesome price, pinlock system), however a couple of features are mildly annoyinfg:

• Slider switch to lock modular in the open state sometimes eroneously gets enebled when puttong on helmet. Pain to find switch to disable. Might end up using duck tape to disavle.
  • As others have commented, initial shield open click too big.
Absolutely no regrets having made this purchase. Pair it up with a Sena SMH10 for great communication system.

First time out with my new N104.There is a little more wind noise ...
If you fill the inside Ear Pockets with some soft packing foam, you will find the noise you experience will go away. I believe those pockets are there if you want to use the NCom system.
Thanks, I'll give that a try, had not thought of that!

Just got back from a ride in a Rain down pore, even the cars had their emergency blinkers on, and got NO Rain coming in the Visor.Here's

Picture of one of the Ear Foam Inserts I made for the helmet:

_Nolan_Top_AirDam_InnerFoam003.jpg

Also put some Foam in these 2 holes underneath the Visor and don't know why they are there.

_Nolan104_FoamFilledFrntGaps.jpg

FWIW-- The XXL will not fit in the side cases. My XL 103 did, but not this XXL.

I found on a 4500 mile trip that the pinlock worked great in the rain, but in heavy rain I had drips inside from the top of the shield much sooner than I have had with the 103. It has more ventilation than the 103, but the floppy shield sucks.

I think I'd rather sweat than go cross eyed with the shield vibration when open. Probably won't buy it again.

Matter of fact, if somebody wants to risk $250 on a Silver XXL, used about 15 days with no blems or scratches, I'll send it to them after I wash the liner.

Notice for those with the Nolan N-104:

Upon looking at the Air Ventilation Holes on the Forehead area, found the Helmet Liner Holes did NOT line up with the Vent Holes as was Blocking its passage.

So I repassaged the Air Holes in the Helmet Foam to line up with the Helmet Liner by cutting some of the Foam.

...This year I tried the C3, the Neotec and the N104. Both the C3 and Neotec fit so close to my chin when closing that I had to pull the wind curtain over my chin. I am still a fan of the D-ring (Neotec) but felt that with it being within $50 of the C3, I would prefer the C3. I could put the C3 and the N104 on without removing my glasses, the Neotec required removing and then trying to wiggle the arms into the helmet and over my ears. The Neotec seemed to fit tighter around the checkbones ,my RF700 is the same tight fit. After visiting each booth twice I decided that the Nolan being basically half the price of the other two would be a good investment. Instead of buying there and transporting an extra helmet home, I decided to try online, found Comp Acc. sell for $40 less. Ready to buy!
Interesting... I bought a N104 sight unseen based on some reviews. Turns out it's probably a little too small and round. The Neotec I had tried on fit me much better and had reasonable 'chin room' whereas the N104 is tight on the cheeks, tight on the chin, and the chin strap seems too far back for my liking. There may be a Medium, Wine colored, N104 for sale shortly.

You should have read my above post:

...have a N102 Large but it is rounder in shape than the N104. I called Nolan USA 866-243-5638 before buying and they suggested the XL version and they were correct.

So if you are interested in buying one, call Nolan and they can pretty much size you up from your current helmet size...

This helmet is a SN (slightly narrow) version and not the R or Round version like the previous models and usually means 1 more size larger may be required... also the XL version is a Larger Shell Size.