Non motorcycle tire question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
I need to buy tires next month to get the studded tires off my truck so I'm looking for opinions and real world knowledge for replacements. The local stores seem to like putting load range E tires on half ton trucks and that seems a bit of overkill to me but I haven't kept up on tire technology. I don't like noisy tires anymore than I like loud pipes. :punk:

The favorites around here seem to be Cooper or Michelin 

This is a F150 crew cab that spends it's life hauling my fat ass around and some trailer hauling ( 7X14) cargo trailer.

I just put a set of Cooper AT3 4S tires on my Tundra. They are not snow tires, but work very well in the snow. They are load range D, so they are a bit lighter and the sidewalls are a little more flexible than the typical E tires. I chose these because they are quieter and give a little more comfortable ride than other all terrain tires. They are not as quiet as the Bridgestones that came on the truck, but those were strictly street tires and did not do well off road or in the snow.

My son-in-law swears by Goodrich K02's. He says they are pretty quiet but a little stiff. He goes off road more often than I do and they are more aggressive for off road use.

My old Chevy crew cab was a 3500 and it required E rated tires. I think they will last longer than lighter tires, especially for trailering.

Take a look at Tire Rack and read the ratings and reviews to get an idea what other people like and why.

I'm on my second set of Cooper AT3s and would go for a third.  Sierra 1500 crew cab.  Got about 50K on the first set and coming up to that on the second, mostly highway miles.  What seems to be the case is the thread holds up fine to that point but the ride gets a little harsh.  Noise never an issue also although the truck itself is far from quiet lol.

I'm a Michelin LTX or ATX M/S guy on my F150s. With average maintenance of pressure, b & r,  alignment and suspension system I typically get 50-60% higher mileage than rated. 1 set on an 01 F150 got 108 K miles and all 4 were just barely legal with passable tread depth. 

Michelin Defenders, the best tire I have ever paid for (stolen ones are always the best value).  The set on my Expedition are wearing like iron for the past 6 years even while towing. Quiet and smoooooth.

Pricey but if you plan on keeping the rig for 50K more miles these are the tire.

Last PU I had was running TA All Terrain. Good compromise lug patter and the life of the tread was pretty amazing for my uses.