North Georgia FJR Rally!! Mark your calendar!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dom says this route has a few "interesting" roads and is for the "experienced" rider. Guess I'll take my parachute in case I have to bail.

It's nearly 400 miles, average moving speed is 35-40mph. There's a pretty decent amount of gravel/dirt/mud (depending on the weather), alot of twisty stuff. I've ridden the route myself, took that one from one of my tracks.

I left out 4 of the NF roads I typically ride in those areas, and put in some paved sweeper areas and a few 'just haul ass to get to the next good road' areas.

I promise a very dirty bike and a very tired rider.

Edit: I forgot to add, only maybe 10% of the route is unpaved. It hits ALOT of the best in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! Moto400 is offering all Rally attendees a 10% discount on parts, gear, accessories, and service for Friday through Sunday. We'll have a couple of scenic routes down to GA 400 just to keep it interesting for you. We'll have a redemption coupon for you!!

In addition, Jim Wells tells me the hot ticket for booze is to travel about 5 miles further south on GA400 beyond Moto400 to World Beverage in Forsyth County for MUCH better prices.

Beer prices are reported to be about the same in all the counties.

And for all you heavy shoppers, you'll be going right by a bunch of top line outlet stores on the right or westerly side of GA 400. Shop!! The economy needs your money.

Great news! Moto400 is offering all Rally attendees a 10% discount on parts, gear, accessories, and service for Friday through Sunday. We'll have a couple of scenic routes down to GA 400 just to keep it interesting for you. We'll have a redemption coupon for you!!
In addition, Jim Wells tells me the hot ticket for booze is to travel about 5 miles further south on GA400 beyond Moto400 to World Beverage in Forsyth County for MUCH better prices.

Beer prices are reported to be about the same in all the counties.

And for all you heavy shoppers, you'll be going right by a bunch of top line outlet stores on the right or westerly side of GA 400. Shop!! The economy needs your money.
Not sure if the discount applies to service, I would ask before I counted on that, as it was not specifically mentioned when I spoke with Steve at Moto 400.

As far as the discount goes all you need to do is mention you are part of the FJR Rally.

Just got the scoot out of the shop. Yamaha replaced my fork seals. Gotta change the oil and I will be ready for this event. Looking forward to seeing some again and meeting some new folks. I am bringing the wife and this will be her first ever camping trip and FJR gathering. Y'all be good and impress her now.... Fencer isn't coming is he?

It's nearly 400 miles, average moving speed is 35-40mph. There's a pretty decent amount of gravel/dirt/mud (depending on the weather), alot of twisty stuff. I've ridden the route myself, took that one from one of my tracks.
I left out 4 of the NF roads I typically ride in those areas, and put in some paved sweeper areas and a few 'just haul ass to get to the next good road' areas.

I promise a very dirty bike and a very tired rider.

Edit: I forgot to add, only maybe 10% of the route is unpaved. It hits ALOT of the best in the area.
Oh yeah, I took your "alternative" route from Ft. Mtn. to Suches today. There were several miles of gravel/dirt roads, at one point; I was in 1st gear climbing a small mountain over what must have been a pig trail because it was barely wide enough for a motorcycle.

Shit Dom, where do you ride your FJR? I've go to tell you, with Michele on the back, it was a bit of a challenge in those ruts, mud holes and creek crossings. Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but not much. I think Michele was more worried than I was, but I think I would feel the same if I wasn't in control. She said the roads were more suited for 4-wheeling or deer hunting. When you come to the Rally next weekend, you might want to steer clear of her. I think she has it in for you. :lol: I was just pissed off because I had just washed and waxed my bike.

I think you need the bike I demo'd today, a KTM Supermoto 690R. I think it would handle those roads much better. The handling was a bit twitchy until I got used to it, then it was awesome. Definitely a fun bike...I was grinning like a possum by the time we got back.

ktm690r.jpg

Sorry bud, that road was one of my question marks. I actually only started flagging non-paved roads recently.

Now that you mention the climb and the narrow road, I remember that road but not the section, can you email me any specifics so I can flag it properly?

Um, I ride just about anywhere that's passable. The FJR doesn't do sand very well, and soft mud is out, and I've done a couple of shallow river crossings on my 05 (none yet on the 08). But, I don't do unpaved 2-up -- so my sincere apologies to Michelle. I'll reroute that one, though for anyone showing up that's either crazy as hell like me (or on a dualsport), that's a great ride. :dribble:

A couple of things for next time:

1) Don't wash the bike before you go route scouting for me. There's at least a 50% chance you'll end up on dirt. ;)

2) If you EVER get to an unpaved section and don't feel comfortable doing it, call me names and turn around -- and report that I'm one crazy sonofabitch, and you don't know where I get off sending you on goat trails 2-up. Wadded or damaged FJR's make me sad. :(

And yeah, I would REALLY like that KTM. I didn't go ride any of those because I knew where that would lead. My FJR would gain a hitch and trailer, and I'd get the divorce merit badge!

Oh yeah, I took your "alternative" route from Ft. Mtn. to Suches today. There were several miles of gravel/dirt roads, at one point; I was in 1st gear climbing a small mountain over what must have been a pig trail because it was barely wide enough for a motorcycle.
Shit Dom, where do you ride your FJR? I've go to tell you, with Michele on the back, it was a bit of a challenge in those ruts, mud holes and creek crossings. Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but not much. I think Michele was more worried than I was, but I think I would feel the same if I wasn't in control. She said the roads were more suited for 4-wheeling or deer hunting. When you come to the Rally next weekend, you might want to steer clear of her. I think she has it in for you. :lol: I was just pissed off because I had just washed and waxed my bike.

I think you need the bike I demo'd today, a KTM Supermoto 690R. I think it would handle those roads much better. The handling was a bit twitchy until I got used to it, then it was awesome. Definitely a fun bike...I was grinning like a possum by the time we got back.

Apology accepted, but not necessary. I was just giving you a hard time. :p

Actually, the ride was...um interesting...no adventurous. I don't regret not turning back. I might have if I had dumped the bike, but I never really came close. No regrets, the scenery was beautiful, but I'm pretty sure I heard banjo music a few times.

I'll send you the gpx file after I edit it. I actually found some great roads on the North side of Hwy.515/76 by avoiding some of the other graven roads. The only reason I went down this gravel road was because I had already gone a couple of miles down the road before it turned to gravel.

Well I will be in for the Saturday festivities. What time are you guys leaving TWO on the advanced ride?

I was at TWO for the KTM Demo on Sat. Rode the RC8! Wowza....what a bike!!

I will have the business partner with me on his FJR too. May have to take it easy on him though. lol.

Da'yum! We're out of town, too. Waaaayyy out in the country is where we'll be. Make some pleasant excuses and Come On Down! We want have weather like this for long.
Would if I could. I already missed one family gathering for a ride. Can't miss another one so soon. :glare:

Down heah, we call that makin' hay while the sun shines.
Ya'll can sit on the porch with the Big Dawgs. You'll be welcome!
Hopefully next time....

hey guys Im working saturday and want be able to make it until sunday after lunch will there be anything going on then? Or did I miss the boat again?

Fencer isn't coming is he?
Are you Scared? :assassin:

:p

I am working on scoring a track day at Barber or Jennings GP. Both will eat a chunk of change from the wallet.

I may say fook the track day and get in on this instead as my wife has told me the weekend I am looking to ride has plans made on one of the days.

It would be a last minute thing for me, but the new roadsmarts are on now...... B)

hey guys Im working saturday and want be able to make it until sunday after lunch will there be anything going on then? Or did I miss the boat again?

There will certainly be FJR folks around. Chances are many will be returning from rides in the afternoon. We have several loop rides available; so chances are good you can find a buddy for a loop or two. Checking out the farkles will be worth a trip, anyway. I hope to see you there. I'll need to take down the tent in the afternoon.

Any specific rides planned for Saturday? I will need to ride about 3 hrs to get up there. So if I can get a feeling about when some folks are leaving out I can get up there an hour or so early for a rest, etc.

Cheers!

Mike

There will certainly be FJR folks around. Chances are many will be returning from rides in the afternoon. We have several loop rides available; so chances are good you can find a buddy for a loop or two. Checking out the farkles will be worth a trip, anyway. I hope to see you there. I'll need to take down the tent in the afternoon.
Tent removal is my specialty all I need is a hefty logging chain a truck and some matches........ O'yea and one of those inflatable sheep

2 more to the party ! A buddy and I will be joining friday evening for a bright and early :rolleyes: saturday morning start !

See you guys there

[SIZE=18pt][/size]Does anyone have some portable stereo speakers that have a 1/8" or 3.5mm stereo plug? [/SIZE]

I have a boom box; but it is pretty bulky. If someone has moderately sized speakers, say about 4" to 6"; then we can have music for our party. I have 3 playlist that will give us plenty of good tunes to listen to throughout the evening.

Please PM or respond on the thread if you have some speakers you can lend.

I have a very compact set, not sure how loud they are and my wife has an Ihome to go. We'll bring both. If you have the tunes on an Ipod, the Ihome will do the trick. If it's anything else, we'll see if this crappy little set I have will do the trick.