November MotorCyclist has sport/touring camparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioFJR1300

Reaction score
Just got the Nov. issue of Mtorcyclist They did a nice 1200 mile test of the Concours 14, FJR BMW R1200RT and the ST1300. FJR came out in second place. First was Concours 14, but only by a slight margin. Honda was last. They said of the Concours 14 "It's not the best long haul package for everyone-Just the quickest,fastest best-handling one" Then they say of the FJR " The most compact. athletic package of our foursome contends best in the twisty bits" .

Seems to me that they can't make up their minds which one is best.

I just got that issue also. Sounds to me like they can't quite make up their mind. Maybe they feel a little obligated to get on the "bandwagon" and place the Kawasaki at the number one spot. Of course, we can't discount their credability. They did rate the Honda last.

Can't balieve all them dar magozines na can ua. Maks ma wont to cry whed I reed dum....PM. <>< :lol:

Ah jist kaint wate tuh git mine. Yew noe thems guys er gunna shout fer joy at the newly improoved models. They all gotta keep thar advertizin' revennoo peeples happie. Kindy lyk win the FJR werethe new-kid-on-the-block.

We've been waiting for a good comparison piece. Hmmmm, FJR second behind the new-fangled, whiz-bang, double-throwdown, end-all be-all techno-bike. Not bad for a 3 year old platform. I'm assuming they used the A model FJR rather than the AE/electric clutch model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the Nov. issue of Mtorcyclist They did a nice 1200 mile test of the Concours 14, FJR BMW R1200RT and the ST1300. FJR came out in second place. First was Concours 14, but only by a slight margin. Honda was last. They said of the Concours 14 "It's not the best long haul package for everyone-Just the quickest,fastest best-handling one" Then they say of the FJR " The most compact. athletic package of our foursome contends best in the twisty bits" .Seems to me that they can't make up their minds which one is best.

I supose it could make sense

C14

quickest = best 0-60

fastest = salt flats top speed

best handling = easy to make slow turns in parking lot, nice on bumpy interstates, nice for sweepers

FJ

compact. = smaller, nimble, quick turn ins

contends best in the twisty bits = lean angle, lighter, etc.

If I interpert them correctly, it says race a C14 with your fjr on a track or on a twisty road.

If its from a red light, or on an interstate, or long sweepers, don't race it?

Kurt

Why the beamer RT and not the GT :blink: ?

It was # 1 last year with all its techno wizbangery

Just got the Nov. issue of Mtorcyclist They did a nice 1200 mile test of the Concours 14, FJR BMW R1200RT and the ST1300. FJR came out in second place. First was Concours 14, but only by a slight margin. Honda was last. They said of the Concours 14 "It's not the best long haul package for everyone-Just the quickest,fastest best-handling one" Then they say of the FJR " The most compact. athletic package of our foursome contends best in the twisty bits" .Seems to me that they can't make up their minds which one is best.
Look at the weight and horsepower numbers between the two... I don`t need that much extra poundage for a few extra claimed hp. What did the test state for the usual performence measurements? I work in the high tech end of the four wheel community for a manufactor, I don`t need a corrupted can bus data stream leaving me stranded... with over 600 pounds dry for company...

There is certainly a bit of pressure to rotate the new offering to the top of the list in a ad-driven bottom line publication but that being said, I think it was a decent write up for the FJR. The Kaw was wearing the latest BT021's while the FJR had to make do with the old 020's. The mag can't be blamed for that as that is what is OE but we all can imagine the difference that would have made! And not much was said about the lack of range that is really quite important in this category.

Look for a new comparo from MCN next month. If the testors wer'nt screwing around it should be very nice for the FJR. Here is a post from Concours forum

My wife and I just got back from a 3 day trip through the Sierras in California. Last night (Saturday) we stayed in Oakhurst, and this morning on our way to breakfast I saw a C14 parked with an FJR and ST1300. I was excited, since this was the first time I'd seen a C14 aside from pictures. A little later I saw the "owners" outside with the motorcycles and decided to talk to the C14 owner about his bike. It turns out they were journalists doing a 4 day tour on the three bikes for an article for Motorcycle Consumer News (I think I got that right). I only spoke to two of them. They had some interesting comments I thought I'd pass along. Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm just passing on their comments.
- The fellow that did most of the talking stated that he liked the throttle reponse/ fuel delivery of the FJR the best. He added a caveat that he had personal experience with Yamaha "tweaking" the fuel injection (evidenced by increased CO emissions) on another motorcycle as a possible attempt to make it run better for another ride test he did. Obviously, I can't verify if this is true.

- They thought that the C14 doesn't make enough low end power, as they felt the typical sport tourer spends most of its time in the low to mid range.

- When asked about heat on the C14, they indicated that it hadn't been a problem, but acknowledged that the weather had been quite cool for their tour. I'll confirm that it was cool to downright cold for our tour.

- They thought that the C14 is geared much more toward the sport end of things than the other two (comments which seem to be echoed for the most part on this forum)

- My wife offered to give the impressions of a 6 foot tall passenger . They acknowledged that it would be useful information, but were polite enough not to insist . Incidently, my wife, upon looking at the C14, thought there would definitely need to be a few modifications to make it comfortable for a passenger, not the least of which is the rear footpegs.

- They indicated that the C14 would probably be third in their comparison. One of the fellows preferred the ST1300, but from their comments, my impression was that the FJR would rank first, but we'll just have to wait to see whether this is borne out in their article.

Overall, I enjoyed talking to them. They seemed to be very forthright and honest, not at all trying to keep anything from me. Then again, maybe they were sandbagging me, so I would come on a web forum and spout the wrong information. Ha!! Anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait for their article to see if what I heard from them is their final word.

My wife offered to give the impressions of a 6 foot tall passenger...Incidently, my wife, upon looking at the C14, thought there would definitely need to be a few modifications to make it comfortable for a passenger, not the least of which is the rear footpegs.
My wife also checked out the stock C14 passenger peg position and says, "NO WAY".

At some point, the differences in the 3 bikes mentioned (FJR, ST, C-14) are very small and the focus fairly narrow. I'm supposing the differences are going to come down to personal preferences. Each of them will deliver all that most riders can actually use or will need.

Still, the prioities of MCN are much different than the other magazines (though they all present information we can interpret). It will be interesting to read their observations.

Well first let me say, I don't have a FJR, I went with the ST for reasons that were particular to me, I actually wanted to love the FJR so much, I preferred it on every way when compared to the ST, Power, looks, handling etc.. but I am very sensitive to vibrations and the FJR simply made my hands go numb, and I personally though the St would be more comfortable on long rides for my wife and I ,but I did recommend the FJR to my neighbor which he did later purchase one, it fits him perfect.

That being said, it's funny, I see on the ST sight, the Kawi forums and this sight, and I'm sure the beamer sights too, every one wants their bike to come in first, and if their bike does come in ahead in the review , it instantly gives them confirmation that they bought the right bike, after all it's the best one according to the magazine article, so they have instant bragging rights to say, you see I told you my bike is better than yours, now of course I can understand that every one wants their bike to win, it's the competiveness in all of us, but even when I bought my ST, I had seen reviews saying this one is faster, or this one handles better, but the bottom line is, I read these reviews and I pick out the bike that best fits my needs, not what the writers say is the best one, often the reasons they don't pick a certain bike to be the winner, might be just the reasons that I would find that, that might be the bikes that fits me the best. I also find that when ever magazines do reviews of Sport tourers, I think they concentrate way to much on the high performance aspect of the bikes rather than it's touring capability, it's no surprise to me that the Connie came out on top, did I mention it seems they often love what ever is new and different also? But I think most of us sport tourer riders are more mature than that, after all this isn't a test between a Hayabusa and a ZX14R where the fastest one in a 1/4 miles is the clear winner,, it's not that clear when it comes to Sport toureing bikes, it's more of a question of what are the most important aspects of a sport toureing bike to you? mine was long distance touring comfort for riding two up without going to a Gold Wing, not speed, handling or any thing else, if the reasons they picked the Connie were most important to me, I would have just kept my Hayabusa that I had set up for sport touring, it was a great bike, I think it was Tim Carithers ? (Motorcyclyist mag)who said in a S/T bike comparo once, if you need to cross several states in rapid time with the least amount of pain and do it as efficiently as possible than the Honda ST is the bike for you, while at the same time noting it was bland, wasn't as fast as the FJR etc.... that sold me on the ST and I'm very happy with it, but it could use more power, my only complaint.

I have not ridden the new Connie, it's a beautiful bike, but from sitting on it, I can tell it's still too sport oriented for an ST bike for what I need,

now lets just wait and see what the Suzuki Hayabusa derived sport tourer will be like???

brianm767 said it right... who gives a flying fork which bike was first, second, third, millionth. Ride what you got, or what you picked. Just because somebody else likes another bike more, why does their opinion weigh more than your own?

Must be Friday... can't believe I posted on this thread... :lol:

I was also surprised that they didn't include the K1200GT instead of the R1200RT, as an earlier poster mentioned. What a mixed-up comparison! The GT would have been a better choice.

I've ridden the 14. Nice bike, but too many issues to work out before I'd consider jumping ship.

It was interesting to me that the HP listed for the 14 was so much less than reported widely otherwise. Also for the FJR. Must be RWHP. Still, with allegedly only 5.8 more HP than the FJR, they sure do make the 14 out to be the destroyer, with nothing else even coming close.

As previously stated, I've ridden the 14. Nice bike, but not nearly nice enough to make me switch.

Just to throw in too... Saw a C14 outdoors (finally) today. My opinion is the same...

Gheee

Why the beamer RT and not the GT :blink: ?
It was # 1 last year with all its techno wizbangery
My copy also arrived in my mailbox today upon returning from the Calfornia Meet 'n Greet at Avila. I too was quite surprised Motorcyclist chose a BMW R1200RT instead of K1200GT as representative Sport Touring weapon of choice. I now ride an RT, but not as sportier replacement for my former FJR. What I needed and now have are superior ergos the test shows an RT provides (I have significant throttle hand arthritis). BMW classifies the RT in their Touring, not Sport Touring model line (they sell the K1200GT and R1200ST for that). Certainly the RT gives up horsepower and suspension adjustability to an FJR, but in turn has superior cornering clearance and (optional) ability to change suspension damping rate on-the-fly. Given the test bias towards Sport (otherwise, why would Concours been chosen #1?), I'm surprised the R1200RT fared as well in this comparison as it did. Choose your own ride, but I like mine.

Jeff

I was also surprised that they didn't include the K1200GT instead of the R1200RT
Simple. If the KGT had been included, they'd have looked really biased by not choosing it as the champ, so they went to the 'lesser' beemer to justify the new kid on the block on top. It sucks if you ask me; that's why I read those 'unbiased' evaluations as entertainment only. Later.

JC

Well first let me say, I don't have a FJR, I went with the ST for reasons that were particular to me, I actually wanted to love the FJR so much, I preferred it on every way when compared to the ST, Power, looks, handling etc.. but I am very sensitive to vibrations and the FJR simply made my hands go numb, and I personally though the St would be more comfortable on long rides for my wife and I ,but I did recommend the FJR to my neighbor which he did later purchase one, it fits him perfect.
That being said, it's funny, I see on the ST sight, the Kawi forums and this sight, and I'm sure the beamer sights too, every one wants their bike to come in first, and if their bike does come in ahead in the review , it instantly gives them confirmation that they bought the right bike, after all it's the best one according to the magazine article, so they have instant bragging rights to say, you see I told you my bike is better than yours, now of course I can understand that every one wants their bike to win, it's the competiveness in all of us, but even when I bought my ST, I had seen reviews saying this one is faster, or this one handles better, but the bottom line is, I read these reviews and I pick out the bike that best fits my needs, not what the writers say is the best one, often the reasons they don't pick a certain bike to be the winner, might be just the reasons that I would find that, that might be the bikes that fits me the best. I also find that when ever magazines do reviews of Sport tourers, I think they concentrate way to much on the high performance aspect of the bikes rather than it's touring capability, it's no surprise to me that the Connie came out on top, did I mention it seems they often love what ever is new and different also? But I think most of us sport tourer riders are more mature than that, after all this isn't a test between a Hayabusa and a ZX14R where the fastest one in a 1/4 miles is the clear winner,, it's not that clear when it comes to Sport toureing bikes, it's more of a question of what are the most important aspects of a sport toureing bike to you? mine was long distance touring comfort for riding two up without going to a Gold Wing, not speed, handling or any thing else, if the reasons they picked the Connie were most important to me, I would have just kept my Hayabusa that I had set up for sport touring, it was a great bike, I think it was Tim Carithers ? (Motorcyclyist mag)who said in a S/T bike comparo once, if you need to cross several states in rapid time with the least amount of pain and do it as efficiently as possible than the Honda ST is the bike for you, while at the same time noting it was bland, wasn't as fast as the FJR etc.... that sold me on the ST and I'm very happy with it, but it could use more power, my only complaint.

I have not ridden the new Connie, it's a beautiful bike, but from sitting on it, I can tell it's still too sport oriented for an ST bike for what I need,

now lets just wait and see what the Suzuki Hayabusa derived sport tourer will be like???
Have they ever gotten the heat issue out of the ST? I heard it was a real burner riding one of those. That's one reason why I bought the 06 FJR and coming off a HD I never noticed any vibrations. I did notice some wrist issues but did the spring unwind mod and is purfect now but that's a whole nuther subject. PM. <>< :D

I read those comparos but don't give them much thought. Another of the mags rated the 1200RT 2nd behind the Concours. I think they always rate the new/changed bikes "tops", whatever the Concours still blows heat onto your legs like a hair dryer (and the pre-06 FJR's).

I rode the other day with a fellow FJR rider, he on his '06 me on my '07. He has added springs/bearings to his front suspension, a power comander, bar risers and a Russell seat. I have a Sargent seat but otherwise stock. We switched bikes for a while and wow! his was way more comfortable,slightly more upright (riser blocks) and felt like a much lighter-better handling bike with the better tuned supension. I'm asking him to help me upgrade my bike.

Anyway After owning 2 1800 Goldwins, VFR, ST1300, CBR, both Vstroms, ZRX1200 and a few others I'm convinced the FJR is the bike for me. I want a sportyTOURER and believe I have a great one.

I also raised the seat on mine and wow it feels like the pegs were dropped 2 inches. At first if feels kind of wierd like your sitting on the bike or on a Vstrom but very comfortable.

I had been thinking for a long time about a RT or GS for the comfortable ergos but shy away because of fear of high $$$$ of ownership (also not sure about that boxer engine though it does give good low center of gravity and no heat) but after riding the other FJR with raised bars and higher seat I'm keeping mine.

Steve