Nylon Washers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyosteve

Reaction score
Hi all,

Took off the black plastic pieces to install some FZ-1 mirrors on Saturday. Used the removal instructions from the other forum and they indicated that there should be the thin, nylon washers under the bolts that hold on the painted pieces. There were none under any of those bolts. Paint looked a little scratched so went off to the Yami dealer and got six washers for the firing adjacent to the black bits. $1.60 apiece! Yikes!

Anybody know of a source where I might get these a little cheaper? Went to Ace hardware and also to a couple auto places and nobody had anything similar. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

I feel your pain. BTDT I'm interested as well if there is another place to sroce these washers.

Tom

Hop on down to your local True Value or Ace hardware. You can buy them in bubble packs of a dozen for 99 cents or individually for under 20 cents.

Here's an old trick - take a milk carton or similar flat plastic and cut off a flat side. Get a piece of tubing (copper will sorta work) 3-4" long and file an edge on one end to make a punch. Now punch out a bunch of plastic discs using a piece of hardwood or an old cutting board and your new punch. To get the center hole, use a paper punch - it's about the right size. ;)

Here's an old trick - take a milk carton or similar flat plastic and cut off a flat side. Get a piece of tubing (copper will sorta work) 3-4" long and file an edge on one end to make a punch. Now punch out a bunch of plastic discs using a piece of hardwood or an old cutting board and your new punch. To get the center hole, use a paper punch - it's about the right size. ;)
Sure...tell the world the secret process. :D

Penny Tech Hall of Fame material, right there! :good:

I can do better than that. I have a punch set that I think can make those washers (it helps to work in a big companies toolroom). Let me take a look and see what I can come up with. Give me a couple of days and I see what I can do. Old milk jugs are easy for me to get.

Tom

This explains why the dealer charges $1.60 each - that's a lot of labor !!

This is for Wyosteve. I played around with my punch set today and got some washers made. The problem is, my punch set is in inches and the Yamaha plastic washers are metric. That said I got real close. The outside diameter is a little smaller and the inside diameter is a little bigger, but they WORK!! What I'd like to do is have Wyosteve PM me his snail mail address and I'll send him a few (how does 5 sound Steve?). If he likes them I'll let him tell you about it and we'll go from there. Now I just hope i have enough old milk jugs!!

Tom

Just got a PM from snikr and he is sending me some samples of his handiwork. I really appreciate him going out of his way to come up with this solution. I will let everyone know how they work as soon as they arrive. I think they will be just the ticket,

Steve

I got the prototypes that snikr fabricated and they are perfect! Thanks much to him. And also to Garauld for the milk carton idea. They look and fit just like the ones the Stealer gouged me for.

Due to a glitch in the USPS, didn't get them right away so Snikr was kind enought to send me ten more. The second shipment is en route. I don't need them so Snikr suggested I offer them to the folks on the board. So, first come, first served.

Thanks again Tom.

Steve

I'm glad they worked out for you Wyosteve. Plus thanks to Garauld for the milk jug idea. :clapping: And if anyone else needs a few I'd be more than glad to make some up for you. Just PM me with your address (snail mail). And I MIGHT be able to make up some other sizes as well!

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: