OEM Yamaha heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old topic I know, but I'm looking at adding these to my bike this fall. How are the OEM heated grips holding up over time? I've read of a few instances of them failing after a couple of years. I assume it's mostly a broken wire on the throttle side. It's a pretty expensive add-on I don't mind paying for as I like the plug and play feature and the factory look, but for the money I want it to last too. Any feedback?

Thanks!

I started this thread, I am now an experienced FJR owner, wow, three years of ownership. Anyway, my OEM, self installed heated grips continue to work without any problems. They work great.

I would like to install these grips on my 2010 and the link above in post #18 does not work. Has anyone else been able to find these at a comparable price?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got really lucky and found a set of lightly used off the forum here, so I didn't pay full price.

The bad news: it will hurt to pay for them.

The good news: they look factory, ARE factory, work really, really well. I love them. One of my favorite farkles (I live in a very cold climate). Looking back, I would pay full retail for the factory heated grips and not regret it. :)

I would like to install these grips on my 2010 and the link above in post #18 does not work. Has anyone else been able to find these at a comparable price?
Best price I've seen so far has been about $375 shipped on Ebay, which works out to be 15% off. My dealer says he'll do 15% off if I'd prefer to order through him. Expensive, but it's a lot cleaner install than I'm going to be able to do with an aftermarket set. Didn't order today, but soon. Good to hear that a failure seems to be the exception and not the rule.

Best price I've seen so far has been about $375 shipped on Ebay, which works out to be 15% off. My dealer says he'll do 15% off if I'd prefer to order through him. Expensive, but it's a lot cleaner install than I'm going to be able to do with an aftermarket set. Didn't order today, but soon. Good to hear that a failure seems to be the exception and not the rule.
$327.56 @ Stadium Yamaha + shipping ($20 to GA) link. I've bought from them before, great customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:
$327.56 @ Stadium Yamaha + shipping ($20 to GA) link. I've bought from them before, great customer service.
Thanks for the link. That's a deal. :good:

I got the Yammy heated grips on my 2006 A when it was new. I hated the high price but liked that they would be covered under warrenty with the rest of my new bike. They have worked flawlessly in the 5 years and 45 thousand miles I have had them. I do have one complaint though, the surface wore very smooth over the years and I had to install Grip Puppies this year to maintain grip. So far, so good.

Once you have the heated grips there, I think you may find you use them more than you thought you would. I have used them from temps near 20f to 62f. It is just so easy to add a little commfort on a cool and damp day. I like that they preserve power when you come to a stop, but a long red light will allow them to cool signifigantly.

I have become such a convert, that I say I will never own a regular use cycle without heated grips ever again.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

Mr. Paul;

The instructions for the grips state very clearly that installed Yamaha Accessories are covered for 90 days only . . . . . and I know because when mine died Yamaha refused coverage, pointing to the sentence in the installation documents.

I'm pleased yours outlasted the bike's warranty. Mine (and a number of other owners') right side grips died (went open) likely due to flexing of the wire . . . .

I posted the instructions here in reply to a request last week . . . feel free to give them a read: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=140495&view=findpost&p=893226

Mr. Paul;

The instructions for the grips state very clearly that installed Yamaha Accessories are covered for 90 days only . . . . . and I know because when mine died Yamaha refused coverage, pointing to the sentence in the installation documents.

I'm pleased yours outlasted the bike's warranty. Mine (and a number of other owners') right side grips died (went open) likely due to flexing of the wire . . . .

I posted the instructions here in reply to a request last week . . . feel free to give them a read: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=140495&view=findpost&p=893226
Bramfrank,

Does this 90 day also apply if you have the y.e.s coverage on the bike or its their work around to not cover the grips? Not sure if you had the extended warranty at the time of failure.

I used a cheap set of star trons and heat troller with BMW sport grips they get hot enough you can't ride them bare handed.

I'm sure there are less expensive ways to go, but I hate the thought of cutting and splicing wires, especially when the plugs are already there.

A few years ago, I bought a brand new GEN II kit from a Yamaha dealer on eBay for $287.50. They were easy to install on my 2006 and work quite well however.... 7 years ago, I installed a Dual Star Heated Grip kit on my CBR1100XX that cost $29.95 and I think that it does as good of a job as the Yamaha grips do. Both the Yamaha and the Dual Star kits have worked flawlessly.

If you don't mind splicing into wiring, another great option is the heated grips from a 2004 Honda ST1300. Get p/n 08T50-MCS-100 for about half the Yamaha cost. Comes with a nice controller. Check HERE for a installed picture.

Mine have been working great for almost 4 years and 50,000 miles.