Oh FJR..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Soo as Im sitting here in AFG at the moment, Im looking for a great "investment." I have been looking at FJRs for the last couple if years but it just hasn't been good to get one. I'm stuck between two bikes, an FJR '08+, and an 08'+ Harley Street Bob.

I know I know, this is an FJR forum but I know there are a few of yall with different/multiple bikes (all cruisers) so I'd appreciate the insight. Ive ridden on and off the past couple of years, but thats just using family/ rented bikes. Last bike I rode was a 09' Street Glide, I could almost flt foot that (just a little to wide). The only thing that is really making a little skeptical about the FJR is #1:

-I'm 5'7 and a 30in"ish" inseam (so it might be a little tall.(I know there are a few ways to lower it)

-I live in DC, so there are a good amount of traffic and town riding. I plan on more of long range riding, but using the Jeep for most around stuff stuff.

So after the wall of text, I'm stuck with either getting a SB for the next couple of years, which I don't think I would mind very much, or to just get the FJR and get used to it!

Thanks for reading all of that and thanks alot for your advise!

Just pick the right 'tool' for the job....

The Jeep is for hauling stuff, and 4-wheel stuff (maybe need a DS)...

The Harley is for slow, close stuff around town...

And the FJR is for far away, fast stuff :yahoo:

IMHO

Those 2 bikes are wildly different, and as stated by RD, great at different things. If you are into sport touring, and fast, comfortable riding, an FJR is the best bike around. If you are into cruising, posing, and dressing like a pirate (sorry. couldn't resist) the HD is a great bike for that.

All kidding aside, the choice between those 2 bikes should be an easy one, once you know what to do on it.

Joe

If you are doing anything distance no comparison, and I am a fan of the FB and SB. If you are locked into one bike for now other than cruising,.. What to you think the Harley does better than the FJR? speed, comfort, handling, braking, storage, the FJR is superior.

I have a 32 inch inseam still on a taller than stock seat (Russell) and flat foot with no issues. I don't expect it would take much to get your legs to the ground on the FJR.

Whichever bike you choose. Post pics!

I'm 5'6" and have no problem on the FJR with just being able to get the front 1/3rd of my foot down at stops etc.

Just have to think about where I park at times, as it's tough to back up with decreased boot traction whilst seated. If/when all else fails, I hop off, throw it on a hip and horse it back

For me, I can't sit on my tailbone (cruiser style) for more than a 1/2 hr at a go without being sore and cranky.

Tough decision, good luck

Completely depends on what your purpose is. I don't like the cruiser riding position, feet forward, reaching for the bars, so my decision would be pretty easy between those two.

Yeah...I think you need to seriously consider what you are going to do with the bike before deciding.

How much riding will you do...and to where?

What bikes have you owned in the past?

Those 2 bikes are wildly different, and as stated by RD, great at different things. If you are into sport touring, and fast, comfortable riding, an FJR is the best bike around. If you are into cruising, posing, and dressing like a pirate (sorry. couldn't resist) the HD is a great bike for that.

All kidding aside, the choice between those 2 bikes should be an easy one, once you know what to do on it.

I love pirates!!! haha

Joe
Yea, thats whats killing me....I would love the SB for around town....but I dont think I'd like to take it fer far at all.

If you are doing anything distance no comparison, and I am a fan of the FB and SB. If you are locked into one bike for now other than cruising,.. What to you think the Harley does better than the FJR? speed, comfort, handling, braking, storage, the FJR is superior.

I have a 32 inch inseam still on a taller than stock seat (Russell) and flat foot with no issues. I don't expect it would take much to get your legs to the ground on the FJR.

Whichever bike you choose. Post pics!
haha yea I dont think the SB could actually beat the FJR in any thing lol....hmm...I hope so, I would rather now have it lowered, may change the seat out for a shaved one just to get a little more out of it. Navy man?

I'm 5'6" and have no problem on the FJR with just being able to get the front 1/3rd of my foot down at stops etc.

Just have to think about where I park at times, as it's tough to back up with decreased boot traction whilst seated. If/when all else fails, I hop off, throw it on a hip and horse it back

For me, I can't sit on my tailbone (cruiser style) for more than a 1/2 hr at a go without being sore and cranky.

Tough decision, good luck
Yea that was probably the worst I had taking out the SG, I couldn't back it up to save my life if there was a hill anywhere in sight.

Completely depends on what your purpose is. I don't like the cruiser riding position, feet forward, reaching for the bars, so my decision would be pretty easy between those two.
Hm.... I know what ya mean, mostly getting out of town, but the occasional jaunt through the town.

Yeah...I think you need to seriously consider what you are going to do with the bike before deciding.

How much riding will you do...and to where?

What bikes have you owned in the past?
Really any chance I can get, as long as the weather is compatible and I'm not sick. Some in the town (gym, out to eat,ect), down to VA Beach to see some fam/friends about 3 1/2 hrs away, and if I can escape on the weekends further than that.

I have driven multiple on and off, the only one I actually owned though was a 750 Shadow a few years back though.

5'9, 30 inch and the seat doesn't bother me. Or get a Corbin, which will lower it another inch. The bikes are soooooooooo different. Cruising or riding? you have to decide.

You keep saying "out of town," which kinda answers it, don't it?

I know cruisers hit the road sometimes, I've passed a lot of them on my rides to various places. :)

Nothing wrong with riding the FJR in town. I ride to work every day, and it's less than 3 miles. Sometimes that's all it gets that day, sometimes there's time for more. Wouldn't buy a cruiser just for that . . . . . Then I'd have to sit on it and be seen and stuff. Ewww!

Last edited by a moderator:
Retired from Active Duty, still work for my old Wing/Squadron as a contractor. Just better selection of clothes
glare.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The SB and FJR are night and day different. I've bought my first Harley 12 years ago and my FJR 3 1/2-ish years ago.

They're both great bikes, but very different in their capabilities, strengths and weaknesses.

Go out and sit on 'em, test ride if you can.

I imagine you could do some 'out of town' riding on a SB, but I wouldn't do it. The farthest I ever rode my Dyna Wide Glide was from Columbus to Erie, PA, and it was utter misery at the end. The FJR? Here to Erie is just getting warmed up. My EG Ultra Classic, on the other hand... Well, it IS a touring bike after all.

don't worry about the height I only have a 28" inseam and it has not been a problem for me and no i have not lowered the bike.

I just put one foot down at stops and i can tippy toe it if need be

+1 That's the very reason I sold my cruiser and bought the FJR. I tried everything to make my VTX 1300 comfortable on longer rides. Changed the bars, got a touring Mustang seat and added a backrest. The problem was all my weight was squarely on my butt, and after a couple hundred miles, I'd start getting cyatic pain down my left leg. I don't have back problems but the cruiser position was giving me one. So I eventually sold it in favor of the FJR. With the sport touring position you're on top of the bike, not in it. You can stand up while riding, move around on the seat, and move your whole body while cornering. Being locked in the cruiser position with all your weight on your rear end and legs in front was not comfortable for me. I still ride some of the routes I did with my VTX and laugh to myself when I comfortably cruise past what used to be a rest stop on the VTX.

I'd have to agree. I just sold my shadow sabre this spring and picked up my first FJR in May. What pushed me the most was the ride position on the cruiser. I couldn't take much more than about an hour or two before I was wanting for a different place for my feet, abs hurt from holding myself against the wind and my right hand frequently went numb. The shadow was a great bike just not for me.

The shadow was much lower, the weight was lower and with a 29.5 inseam I could flat foot and move the bike around with ease. The FJR is taller, seat height, weight is higher and ride position is higher. I can't put both feet flat on the ground but can touch both feet normally stopped. Backing it up can be a little more difficult be if it's that hard I just get off and push.

Most of my riding is commuting and the higher ride height does wonders for urban visibility. I some times find myself looking over the car infront of me. I put about 125 miles of city riding a week on my 2006 and have only been pleased.

The cruiser was great to learn on, I rode it my first 3 years and was glad I did. It taught me what I didn't want and what I like about the FJR so much. It's not a bike to clean and ride to the bar once a month. It eats up the highway, can corner, easily take a passenger and the stuff for a short trip, great for commuting and as I was told here when I was looking to buy one. "get one and you'll never look back at the cruisers again". That came true when I rode it home after I bought it and I too will never go back.