oil level

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fill the filter and then allow the filter to absorb the oil a couple of times. Goes on without leaking any oil. Why?? Eliminates the brief period of time on initial start-up where there is nearly zero oil pressure while the filter fills. I figure that is a good thing.
I'll call it an anal-retentive thing and say it it completely unnecessary. But if it makes you feel good have at it.

Reactions: C&C
Yeah, having an engine run with no oil pressure is no big deal. Seems silly to allow it when it is easily preventable, but if it makes you feel good, them have at it.

Yeah, having an engine run with no oil pressure is no big deal. Seems silly to allow it when it is easily preventable, but if it makes you feel good, them have at it.

I have. For over 400,000 miles on FJRs.
whistle.gif

I know on a Z1000 from experience to put oil in a new filter before installing. The first time I changed the oil on it the oil pressure light wouldn't go out after I installed a dry filter. I had to slightly crack the oil filter loose with the engine running to get the oil flowing. So, because of that incident, I always fill the FJR filter half way before installing.

Since the FJR doesn't monitor oil pressure, I always check that the oil level in the sight glass shows the oil level decreasing when starting the engine after a filter change. It's probably better to use the procedure in the manual to check for oil pressure, but that seems like work.
lazy.gif

So what if I'm OCD, at least I'm something.

It's interesting how little 'official' information there is on the idea. Purolator says not to bother with pre-filling -- but that's directed at car engines, with big pumps and high volume:

https://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/FAQs.aspxhttps://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/FAQs.aspx

The factory service manual and owner's manual are both silent on the issue. Logic would dictate that pre-filling has merit, particularly with the smaller pump and lower flow of a motorcycle pump. On the other hand, modern oils are really, really good, and leaving a protective film would seem likely to be part of the formulation.

whistle.gif
Good for you, well done. Many of us have many, many miles on motorcycles, but it is all anecdotal info. My mother smoked for over 50 years and felt fine; I guess smoking must not be bad for you either. There is a guy on one of the forums who has never changed the oil in his BMW for over 100K miles. Changes the filter (after filling it) and tops off as required.... oil changes must not be need. Oh well, too each their own.

whistle.gif
Oh well, too each their own.
That was my point to start with.

Show me one example of an oil related engine failure on an FJR. The FJR seems pretty damned bulletproof. *Many* around here have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles on FJRs simply following prescribed maintenance procedures, or even less!

But if you want to fill the oil filter, change the oil every 2,000 miles, replace the final drive fluid every oil change, or do any other maintenance procedure above and beyond what is specified by Yamaha engineers than go right ahead. It surely isn't hurting anything. But neither is following specified maintenance procedures.

I used to pre-fill the filter on small block GM V-8s because it was easy to do and the opening for the oil filter was straight up. I pre-fill the spin on transmission oil filter on my Allison 6 speed because it is easy to do and the opening points straight up.

The sideways design of the FJR oil filter makes pre-filling a messy proposition. I figured that since the engineers that designed the FJR got so many other things correct if they wanted that filter pre-filled they would have made it easy to do so and put the instructions in the manual.

As always I encourage each of you to do what you want to your own motorcycles. If it makes you feel happy, safe, comfortable, smart, or all of those things to pre-fill the filter, by all means do so.

Actually, I'd wager that I'm one of the least anal retentive people on this forum when it comes to maintenance. Oil/filter at 6000, plugs at 24,000, FD at 12,000, valves and TB at 24,000. Has done me well... anecdotally. Just see no reason to listen to the engine run dry when it is easily preventable.

Thanks Howie.. I was just about to interject my thoughts but ya saved my ass..

I owe ya a tunafish samitch.

Op is new to bike and forum! I understand when changing oil in the FJR some oil remains is the pan in spite of leaving the drain plug out for hours? When I change my oil at 5000kms with the filter each time, I add 4 Liters of Motul 7100 ( it's a pretty red color). The site glass shows a level slightly above the middle of the two marks with the bike on the center stand and level. I have just over 104,000 kms on my 08 without so much as a hick-up! I wouldn't try and drain some as long as you're just at the upper most site glass view?

Feel free to state opinions..I just find it ludicrous this topic is still open for discussion as it has been hashed out for all of the eight years I've been here.

If starting your engine with and empty filter is so damaging then an ass load of jeep dealers are in for trouble,
You ever see those 45degree racks out front where they drive 'em up and let them sit displayed? Well guess what, the oil pickup isn't submerged.. Yeah so the whole length of the tube drains off and yet they start them on this display rack and drive 'em off. I suspect the resultant air pocket is no worse than an empty filter.

Oh wait this was about Oil level.. and has been answered 7 times on this thread alone.

I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
And for that all give thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my part I withheld my sarcasm until the new guy's question was fully answered.

What I fail to understand is why this has not been sent to NEPRT already, along with all the other threads on this same subject.

Oh, since nobody gave the guy this little bit of info, there is almost a full quart left inside the motor/transmission assembly after all the oil has been drained. That may give the OP some insight and save us all from yet another NEPRT bound thread.

"Established" gives you special status?

If you want a private club where you are the boss, then build a tree house.

Do you expect people to defer to you because of the number of posts you have or your ability to string profane words together in a cute way?

But you are still a sweet guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.