OK Midwesterners--Who Rode Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-12 F here this morning. -28 F windchill. At 55mph the windchill on the FJR would be about -50 F. The 20 minute ride to work would render me, um, er, dead. No riding today.

<_<

I have not been on mine for over a week although I did fire her up the other day, I am just waiting for the right day. I can say I went out and bought some Gerbing's Heated Gear today, all I have to do is wire it up and wait for a good day. Right now it is SNOWING up 5 inches

I got out for a little ride yesterday, and rode to work today. 25 degrees this morning, sunny out right now, supposed to get up to 44 degrees. Unfortunately it'll be getting dark by the time I get out of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought about riding the other day when it was raining, but the front forks are off the bike, and it is generally in lots of pieces, so the temptation was removed.

Oh man am I jealous!! We had some warm weather but it rained the entire time and was very windy. Do not think I will get out any more this year but am hoping to in January; my military buddy called me and is ready to go also as soon as we have a nice day.

I saw 3 bikes on the road today out here in Rockford, IL. Still too much salt on the road for me, and like I said, the bike is in pieces.

I'm waiting on the new seat from Russell, so no go for me. And I have the cruise coming in, along with a few other additions like the FZ mirrors on order, so might be mid January before I get mine back together. I do have that other bike, but I only use it when the wife wants to go....

I saw 3 bikes on the road today out here in Rockford, IL. Still too much salt on the road for me, and like I said, the bike is in pieces.
I saw a guy as I pulled off the interstate on my way in tonight. Trooper had him. Only rider I have seen since the toys for tots ride. Maybe I should have sold him my cloaking device.

It was a balmy 30F on the way in this morning. I think I'll go for a little ride during lunch and snap a couple of pictures...

Edit:

Went on a little ride during lunch and took these with the cell phone.

20081230_1.jpg

20081230_2.jpg

I rode today. To the dealers to finish up repairs from the hit and run. Anyone want to ride this weekend?(Chicago area) I have to work until Friday 7pm. Everyday. :(

I've been on vacation the past couple of days and rode both today (36 & sunny) and yesterday (45 & sunny). Everything was dry and the sun was shining brightly both days. That's fantastic weather for NE OH at the end of December :clapping: . Clocked about 190 miles total. A combination of super slab, state routes and back roads. Had a blast. Saw maybe a dozen other riders yesterday and only 2 or 3 today.

Forecast is calling for snow later tonight, saw some salt trucks/snow plows parked on the interstate, just waiting for the skys to open up. Could be the last day riding for awhile so I fueled her up, added some Sta-Bil, wiped her down and tucked her in using the new Nelson Rigg UV 2000 XL Half Cover.

Rode in last night. You know I had to start the new year right. :yahoo: The only problem was the ignition and my hard cases locks were frozen. I guess my bike wasn't dry from the bath a few days ago. The ignition finally released the key but I had to use hot water to get the case open and take them inside. Yeah they will be frozen again going home. Happy new year all. :lol:

I went for a 25 mile cruise on Monday night it was warmer here :rolleyes: It was 19 when I left :yahoo:
Still have good roads in Duluth. Rode in this morning. 10 above and its down to just 2 bikes where I work. The other fool say's he's going to ride longer than me. Yeah right, we'll see who's the bigger fool. :blink:
just did the toys for tots run...coldest ride I've EVER been on (9F when I left, 21 when I got home).....brrrrrr.
Yeehaa, I got to ride to work this today. 25 degrees and a few ice patches...buts it's dry at least. I enjoyed every mile of it :D :good: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :yahoo:
Well, we rode down to the Texas Hill Country last Wednesday, 29 degrees when we left town, dropped to 23 crossing the Talimena Drive, then got as high as 38 before we rode into the snow around Buffalo, TX. 600 miles and most of it was at or below freezing. We were ready for the hot tub in New Braunfels!!! :(
Surely, you guys are making this stuff up,......right? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Just finally went in and read the last few pages of posts here.

HOLY BLOODY SHIT!!! You sonsofbitches have colossal nads!

Man, that is motorcycling dedication!

You hard core, cold weather riders deserve your own subgroup moniker and some recognition.

You have my deepest respect. :clapping:

Now please,...go get some hot cocoa!

And Happy New Year!

Just finally went in and read the last few pages of posts here.HOLY BLOODY SHIT!!! You sonsofbitches have colossal nads!

You hard core, cold weather riders deserve your own subgroup moniker and some recognition.

And Happy New Year!
+1

SS1000's and BBG's are one thing but I propose a Frozen Butt award to those who ride in temps below X degrees. :cold:

Well I wired up my Gerbings harness today, installed my Trail Blazer Stop Lights, suited up and went for a 140 mile ride. Man that heat gear is GREAT! it was about 30-34 degress out and other than a chill on my legs I was tosty warm the entire trip. I saw one other bike headed South on I-294 sure felt good to get out and RIDE.

Surely, you guys are making this stuff up,......right? :blink: :blink: :blink:
Just finally went in and read the last few pages of posts here.

HOLY BLOODY SHIT!!! You sonsofbitches have colossal nads!

And Happy New Year!
My pciture posting needs help, but here's two small pics of us crossing Talimena at 23 degrees...

th_THC2008025.jpg

th_THC2008023.jpg