Old enough to remember when WD-40 came out in 1964? From Popular Mechanics Magazine!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember the 40 comes from the 40th attempt at making the formula and the main component is fish oil.

Wish there was a way to verify the ad. Looks suspicious to me. Can't believe that ad got past the censors of 1964, JSNS

Eh... In better days that kind of advertising was ok to do.

20 years ago when I worked full time in the local NAPA store we used to give out girly calendars to our customers... I don't remeber when that became NPC... but it did, and we stopped getting them... (and get this... the store owner was a Lady!) We used to have all kinds of "materials" from product vendors that would be considered way off color by todays standards...it was common place, people smiled and enjoyed stuff like that... those days are gone.

I seem to remember the 40 comes from the 40th attempt at making the formula and the main component is fish oil.
The fish oil is urban legend.
WD-40's main ingredients as supplied in aerosol cans, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

• 50% "aliphatic hydrocarbons". The manufacturer's website specifically claims that this fraction in the current formulation cannot be accurately referred to as Stoddard solvent, a similar mixture of hydrocarbons.[8]
  • <25% petroleum base oil, presumably a mineral oil or light lubricating oil.
  • 12-18% low vapor pressure aliphatic hydrocarbon, to reduce the viscosity for use in aerosols. This fraction evaporates during application.
  • 2-3% carbon dioxide, presumably as a propellant, is now used instead of liquefied petroleum gas to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability.
  • <10% inert ingredients.

'tis funny to read. Snopes says FALSE and gives a bunch of good reasons why. There is a killjoy in every crowd ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish there was a way to verify the ad. Looks suspicious to me. Can't believe that ad got past the censors of 1964, JSNS
Snopes says FALSE

So, this is just for fun.
Yo Old Michael, remember when our Tom lived in California and he was a Fun Guy; not anymore mi Amigo, he is one of those Northeast Arseholes now! JSNS!
Meanwhile, in "Piss-on-the-bread-Pennysylvania", ….

wink.png

Hope you are well, Tom!

Yinz know how to hurt a guy! It isn't easy keeping up with all you fun and games types.

GeekJacuzzi_zps3f4c20e5.jpg

bwv, I remember those calendars, too. Also remember Lange ski boot posters. Folks these days, no sense of humor.
Ohhhhh, yeah. Langes may have been the all time worst for stiff forward flex caused boot bruises, but they had some stiffy producing hotties in their ads and posters. "Soft Inside", "Warm Inside", "Tuck" and my favorite: "Tips Up" !! For those who remember, here they are (I imagine that the models are probably in their 70s now and haven't skied in years):

https://www.amazon.com/Lange-REPRODUCTION-Poster-Soft-Inside/dp/B002IQA1TY

Speaking of such, anyone else ever ride the Siberia Lift at Squaw on a warm, sunny spring weekend day when the ladies were skiing below in bikinis for the audience in silvered glasses on the lift above? Good Lord!!!!!

Damn - I was young again (in my mind) there for a moment.