Old Fjr rider coming back into fold, questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokerider

Reaction score
I’ve owned two FJRs, an 07 A that I put 56k on, and an 07 AE that I put less than 10k on. 7 years later….I have a mostly paralyzed left hand (forefinger and thumb work), so I’m buying a 2008 AE with a little over 40k on it Friday. No records on the machine. Can someone point me to a sticky on everything to do/check to ensure I address any delayed maintenance. I sorta remember how to do the easy method of AE clutch fluid change, and still have expensive whale sperm for the diff. Don’t remember much else though. Well past 60….brain has data dumped to make more space.

Most everything should be in the owner's manual but I would check the following:

Valve check is due if it hasn't been done
Do spark plugs and coolant change at the same time
Do throttle body sync afterward
Bleed brakes and clutch - fresh DOT4
Clean and lube rear brake pivot and brake lever.
Check brake pads and you might want to clean up calipers.
Change fork oil if it hasn't been done lately
Check air filter
Change rear drive fluid
Might want to check/clean/lube U-joint and drive splines
Definitely check/clean/lube relay arm
Check/lube/retorque steering head
Visual check of ground "spiders"
Check with Yamaha on recalls - there was one for the S4 "spider" and one (I think) for the ignition switch

Can't think of anything else, offhand. That should get you going...

Oh, There was an issue with problem cam chain tensioners with the '06 and some '07. I think it was cleared up by '08 but check to see if your CCT has a blue or green dot on the side... If not (or you can't see it well enough) it might need to be replaced.

Edit: The above is applicable to all FJRs. For the non-AE version, I would add regular servicing of the clutch lever and shift linkage. The clutch lever, in particular, needs to have the brass bushing that pushes in the actuator cleaned and greased along with the pivot. Once per year (or more if you ride in a lot of wet) for brake pivot, shift linkage, brake and clutch levers.

Last edited:
Great info, thank you. I forgot so many of those, although I remember the iggy switch well. Yamaha dealer tech put my handlebars on at different angles when they did the recall. Was a serious 'wtf' moment.

Smokerider,

For the best options of handlebar comfort (and to kill any hand-numbing buzz from the engine), you might consider changing the handlebars to conventional 7/8" (22mm) handlebars. ABM has a billet fitting which is reasonable in price and looks.
Snowflake on another FJR forum puts Zerk fittings into the Relay Arm, replacing any bad parts as needed. Send him yours, or find a used one to send; then it would be a simple swap job, with no mess and no waiting. He does great work.
https://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4161&p=100493#p86742Check for factory recalls with the VIN in hand at the Yamaha mothership:
https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html
Yamaha customer service 1-800-962-7926

Last edited:

Latest posts