Oldest Battery?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on my second battery on my 05. First one was Ok but the peace of mind is worth it when I am traveling through Burnt Scrotum New Mexico. Tires with tread on then are things I like to ride on to. I am amazed at the bikes I have seen out in the middle of know were with fryed tires and other issues.

Reno, Jeff at bike effects sell the optimate III. Don't forget to ask for your forum discount.

He's a really good guy if you haven't met him, tell him the Bugnatr sent you :)

Burnt Scrotum New Mexico I know were that is. Al Bundy drove his Dodge through there. I don't use a Battery Tender on my ride but it gets fired up and at least ridden once a week. After three years of use, I become concerned about battery life. Maybe I will wait three and one half years this time.

I got my 03 in July of 02 and replaced the batt in June of 05 bacause I didn't like the way it acted. It sits on the bench in my shop for a test battery and loaned it to my neighbor for his 04 for awhile. Still holds a charge just fine but I think it will stay on the bench.

The replacement is a Yuasa Ultimate and it shows 12.8 after sitting for the winter. Not bad for almost six years.

FWIW, my 17 year old Honda Del Sol with 118,000 miles still has its original battery. Never been on a tender/charger. Never failed to spin 'er up.

Guess I'm blessed. :)

FWIW, my 17 year old Honda Del Sol with 118,000 miles still has its original battery. Never been on a tender/charger. Never failed to spin 'er up.

...and 45 psig per cylinder compression! :p
Seriously, 125-130psi across the board....and I haven't changed oil in about 10 years. But I DO keep it topped up with fresh! :D

Hahaha.

How likely is THAT?

:D
Good point! :blum: :finger:

I'm one of the paranoid few that's been stranded one time too many from a dead battery. Made it a point from then on to change 'em out every two years. Living here in the desert, batteries in general just don't seem too last long.

The one that left me stranded was 4 year old gel in my 97 BMW 650. No signs, no symptoms. Just wouldn't kick over the thumper in Fernley, NV on my way to Gerlachfest. Managed to get her bump-started and made it to Beatty, NV where I had to stop for the night. The next morning I spent an hour making puddles of sweat pushing that "svelt" six-fiddy up & down the parking lot but the damn thing wouldn't even fart. Had a towing service that included battery replacement but the cost out of pocket left a sour taste in my mouth. (That's another story). Thankfully, I have an understanding brother who brought me a new battery.

There ws no selection for anything more than 7 years... Last year, I sold my 2002 Yamaha Venture with its original battery. It was pretty marginal toward the end but never failed to start the bike. I live in a cooler climate which favors battery longevity. Never use a battery tender. I do pull the battery before the winter and slow charge it about once per month in the off season. I know many people who always keep their battery on a tender and they don't get any more life out of them than I do. The only times I have had a starting issue due to a low battery is when I left the ignition (and lights) turned on. Perhaps one other time when the Venture was allowed to sit (unridden) in the garage for a couple of months after I got the FJR.

The best battery life of a bike battery was my 1999 Buell S3, from 1998 until I sold it in 2008, still working fine. The worst, a 1994 Goldwing, bought new, original battery lasted 2 months. I hope my FJR battery lasts somewhere in between.

The battery in my '03 went just beyond five years before showing signs of weakness. Not bad. The next one, however lasted less than a year. Maybe that's because it got knocked to the floor and the case cracked? Battery #3 is two years old and come thaw, we'll see...

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike was new in June 2006, it is a 2006 FJR AE. So I figure it is time to replace my battery. I keep it on the tender when not riding, all year long. I went to Batteries Plus, they want $99 for a battery. I checked Sears they want $55 for one that is ready to go and $75 for one you have to add the acid to once they ship it to you. Then I saw the Shoraipower.com. They have two for the FJR. One is standard and one is stronger. SHORAI LFX Lithium-Iron Powersports battery, 18Ah 12V eq, "A" polarity, Case Type 1 Sku: 4897034420111Part Number: LFX18A1-BS12Price: $186.95 It is pricy but it features lower weight, no maintenance, twice the life of the old battery.

Has anyone tried this battery? Does it work well?

So the battery is under Panel A. I have never looked under Panel A. It looks like it is to the right of the tank opposite the glove box. Is that it?

Any thoughts let me know.

Thanks

My bike was new in June 2006, it is a 2006 FJR AE. So I figure it is time to replace my battery. I keep it on the tender when not riding, all year long. I went to Batteries Plus, they want $99 for a battery. I checked Sears they want $55 for one that is ready to go and $75 for one you have to add the acid to once they ship it to you. Then I saw the Shoraipower.com. They have two for the FJR. One is standard and one is stronger. SHORAI LFX Lithium-Iron Powersports battery, 18Ah 12V eq, "A" polarity, Case Type 1 Sku: 4897034420111Part Number: LFX18A1-BS12Price: $186.95 It is pricy but it features lower weight, no maintenance, twice the life of the old battery.

Has anyone tried this battery? Does it work well?

So the battery is under Panel A. I have never looked under Panel A. It looks like it is to the right of the tank opposite the glove box. Is that it?

Any thoughts let me know.

Thanks
Google is your friend Link assist: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134836

My oldest OEM battery is in my 2001 Yamaha XT225. The battery was 10 years old this past January and is till going strong. All the bikes are stored in a temperature-humidity controlled environment; never colder than 58 never hotter than 78. They are all plugged into tenders when not being ridden. The next oldest was my 2003 Honda 919- the OEM battery died at 7 years 1 month. My 2005 FJR was sold when it was 3 years old and my '08 FJR is still original. My 2006 FZ1 has the original battery and it's now 5 years and 2 months old.