One Thing I Didn't Know About An FJR (There May Be Others)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyronewildman

Real Old Guy
Reaction score
It may be because I went from Gen1 to a Gen3 but I didn’t know there was a difference with the side case lower black rubber locating cushion outer dimensions between Gen1 and Gen3. It probably started with a change with the Gen2 because (I think) that is when the side case lower mount bracket was integrated into the passenger foot rest bracket. The Gen1 cushion sides are square and the Gen3 cushion sides are thinner, toward the rear. I believe that they did this so it would be easy to slide the case on the cushion, when mounting them although I never had trouble mounting the ones on my Gen1. The Gen3 cushions are 2mm thinner at the rear than at the front. I did do a search for “rubber baby buggy bumpers” so just maybe this is a new found fact, but knowing the intelligence of members of this board, I doubt it.

I tried to get around the problems with the dealer not mounting the cases correctly, but to no avail. I told them to just leave the cases in the unopened boxes. Worked for my ’04 but not this ’13. To their credit the bike was ready on the floor when I 1st saw it but with no cases mounted. When I picked up the bike, the boxes were opened & marked that the locks were installed. Just Damn! Naturally, I remounted the locks, this time using Locktite™. Nice guy that I am, I even contacted the guy that bought his ’13, before me at the same dealer & he fixed his too. Yep, if you are a “new guy”, do your required reading! Later, De
smile.png

WoW, after rereading this, it really contains some BS so feel free to "Pile On" as I am in FL, with my kids, on their dime, having fun in the sun (79 degrees), so I can take it!
coolsmiley02.gif

Naw dude, you rule!

“rubber baby buggy bumpers”.

You can't go wrong with that.............

The rubber baby buggy bumpers were certainly chamfered for the Gen IIs, this is the relevant page from the fitting instructions:

(Click on image for larger view)

Clearly these instructions apply to Gen Is as well, but who knows if the rubber dampers (as Yamaha seems to prefer to call them) were always shaped? We need a Gen I owner to measure these so that we can get to the bottom of this.

The rubber baby buggy bumpers on my gen1 measure 19mm and 21mm at the ends, the 21mm toward rear wheel. However, at the bottom of the "damper", the part closest to the bracket, measurements are 21mm and 22.5mm. The thing tapers end to end and top to bottom. Measurements taken with digital calipers. Hope this helps. Hope I get a life someday.

What I ment to imply was, along with wrong way to install the lock screws, the dealer could also install the rubber baby buggy bumpers wrong. Check um both! This Disney World thing with my kids is killing me! Later,,,De
smile.png
Check out me on left & my son on right below!https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/Tyronewildman/Deson_zpsaf41e593.jpg
wildman,what do you mean, installed the lock screws wrong? Do you mean,failed to use thread lock? Yes, you both look kind of goofy in that setting.
drag.gif
lol.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate enjoy disneyworld ,epcot, animal kingdom, hollywood etc I just got back from 7 WEEKS there with my family ,I was there about 20 months ago as well . It a LONG WAY from my home in Australia . In the 7 weeks around Christmas I think we only lost about 4 hours to rain . The only thing wrong was I did not have my bike ! BUt boy is Florida flat and where are the curves ??

I remember when the Gen II's came out one of the features for the model change was that the mounted side case were 1" narrower overall than on the Gen I bikes. They are 10" narrower than a C14!

Mate enjoy disneyworld ,epcot, animal kingdom, hollywood etc I just got back from 7 WEEKS there with my family ,I was there about 20 months ago as well . It a LONG WAY from my home in Australia . In the 7 weeks around Christmas I think we only lost about 4 hours to rain . The only thing wrong was I did not have my bike ! BUt boy is Florida flat and where are the curves ??
Not many curves around here but lots of sand on the roads. Come visit me in Atlanta as I can leave in the morning, ride up to the Smokies (part of the Appalachian Mountains) ride both ways thru Deal’s Gap https://www.tailofthedragon.com/ and be back before dark. Usually do it on my Buell because my Gen1’s throttle is so sensitive. (Even with a G2 throttle) Looking forward to the dual mode throttle for mountain riding on my Gen 3. Later, De
smile.png

I remember when the Gen II's came out one of the features for the model change was that the mounted side case were 1" narrower overall than on the Gen I bikes. They are 10" narrower than a C14!
Saddlebag widths are not easy to measure but using a level and measuring in several different places, it appears that the saddlebag width on my 2008 is 36.5 inches (the reflectors on the bottom of the bag are the widest spot). The saddlebags on the C14 are 39 inches wide.

For those interested in land splitting, the width at the mirrors is 37 inches on the FJR and 41 inches on the C14.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rubber baby buggy bumpers were certainly chamfered for the Gen IIs, this is the relevant page from the fitting instructions:(Click on image for larger view)

Clearly these instructions apply to Gen Is as well, but who knows if the rubber dampers (as Yamaha seems to prefer to call them) were always shaped? We need a Gen I owner to measure these so that we can get to the bottom of this.

Saddlebag widths are not easy to measure but using a level and measuring in several different places, it appears that the saddlebag width on my 2008 is 36.5 inches (the reflectors on the bottom of the bag are the widest spot). The saddlebags on the C14 are 39 inches wide.

For those interested in land splitting, the width at the mirrors is 37 inches on the FJR and 41 inches on the C14.
Guys, thanks for the interest. This may not be as clear as it seems. I did open the factory sealed side case boxes for my ’04. I put my $500 down like everybody else & there was a deadline early in the year for that. Mine arrived 9/03 and the side cases came in a few weeks later. My ’04 side case mounting instruction book is rev 1 April 2001 and the bracket installation is exactly (pic & text) as it is shown for the <2006 in my new side case mounting instruction book included with my 2013 FJR. Strangely enough, this book is also dated rev 1 April 2001. Thanks to mcatrophy for the above copy of the Gen 2 & 3 book and as you can see in the pic for the <2006 (Gen 1), there is no mention of cementing the rubbers on or which way to orient them as they came mounted to the bracket from the factory but you did have to mount the bracket to the bike. And thanks to chiefblueman for making me take a 2nd look at my ’04 Side Case Bracket Rubbers. Guess what! They measure the same as the ones for the ’13 FJR and both rubbers were mounted (from the factory) backward! The wide end was toward the rear of the bike. Go figure. The ’13 FJR side case mounting instruction book came with an additional sheet showing more detailed instructions of mounting the rubbers. This sheet is dated; October 2005 and is titled “FJR 1300 Side Case Bracket Rubber Set” and shows the part # 5VS-W9753-00-00 Later,,,De
smile.png