Operation turned bad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekend rider

Reaction score
As we go along in life we all make decision for the betterment of ones self and family. Well this tragic event happend to a good friend last week.

He (Tom), decided to have that operation where they make your stomach smaller, should be fairly simple with minor problems. He was doing fine all through the process and doc sewed him up and let him re-coup from being under anathishea. Low and behold he was not able to breath had to have the machine hooked to him to help him breath.

Upon further review from the Doctor, something was accidently cut to cause this while he was being operated on and not a good out look for him.

After the family learned of this they had to make a decision and to keep him on life support or unplug the machine, the latter was chosen and he passed in two minutes. He was 49 and had a family and left behind a 10 yr. old son and wife.

It seems so strange he chose this to help him with his weight problem which was not all that bad, and then while going through the procedure he looses his life...

As tragic as it is, I'm sure it was explained that there is always a risk of death with sugery. Not that this really means anything in our society today where you can sue anyone for anything, his family can surely find a lawyer to take on the case.

After the family learned of this they had to make a decision and to keep him on life support or unplug the machine, the latter was chosen and he passed in two minutes. He was 49 and had a family and left behind a 10 yr. old son and wife.
What a sad story. My sympathies go out to the wife and family. Before any surgical consent is signed, the surgeon and anesthiologist must review risks and benefits with the patient, as well as alternatives to surgery. This man knew that he was taking a risk, but it was worth it to him.

It was a brave decision for the family to unplug the machine rather than leaving him in a persistent vegetative state. Still, a sad situation for all.

very sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your friend, and my heart goes out to his family. one of my close family members had a successful gastric bypass performed, but the morning of the surgery we were both basket-cases of fear and anxiety. Even though the doctor spent 6 months prepping us and having us attend support group meetings, and the surgery would resolve the diabetes, the joint problems, and the morbid obesity . . . it still felt like "elective" surgery . . . you know, something you'd be nuts to risk death over. We were fortunate -- everything went well, including recovery.

if only it were that way for everyone . . . :(

Shows how fragile life really is and the end could happen to anyone of us at any time. Prayers to you and your friends family and all concerned. PM. <><

Last edited by a moderator:
As tragic as it is, I'm sure it was explained that there is always a risk of death with sugery. Not that this really means anything in our society today where you can sue anyone for anything, his family can surely find a lawyer to take on the case.
The risks of surgery are explained in Informed Consent but that does not waive the surgeon from neglidient liability.

Sorry to hear about your mate going the way he did. I have recently had Lap Banding surgery, very safe but things can go wrong although albeit it very low risk but it is major surgery. I have to say I was shitting myself being wheeled away (putting on the brave face and joking "She'll be right, don't worry!) watching my family disappear out of view wondering if things turned to shit I hope I get to hold them and tell them how much they meant to me. that was 10 weeks ago and 23kgs lighter. One should never be discouraged from doing what they believe in no matter what the end result. I hope your pain subsides quickly WER, condolences mate.

Life sucks sometimes...er..uhm..I mean the sudden tragic end of life that leaves us all wondering and in emotional distress.

Sorry, Bob, and my condolences to the family.

thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.

Damn shame. Hope the Doc has good malpractice insurance. (not that any amount of money could replace a loved on)

I hope he is enjoyiong riding the twisties in the sky......

Surgery is never safe. We are catering a memorial for a BMW clubber who went in for surgery which was cancer related and picked up an infection while in the hospital, it was the infection the did him in. I fear for the future of health care in this country, especialy if the goverment (Nancy Pelosini) is anyway involved. :assassin: I am sorry for the loss of your friend, God Speed.

It was a brave decision for the family to unplug the machine rather than leaving him in a persistent vegetative state. Still, a sad situation for all.
actually the story didn't say that. iirc it said that he just had to be kept on a resperator (modern age iron lung).
This is what I read, from Weekend Rider's original post;

After the family learned of this they had to make a decision and to keep him on life support or unplug the machine, the latter was chosen and he passed in two minutes.

From my experience, the machine that they are talking about would be the ventilator (respirator).

More patients die out of surgery than during due to infections. Hospitals are rapidly becoming the home of super bugs such as MRSA. Any surgery is a risk, the loss of a husband, father and at such a young age is very sad indeed. I hope the family gets counseling it is difficult. I lost my wife the metastatic breast CA at 39 and have 3 kids at the time 8 to 13. I found family counseling of great help to cope and for myself how to be at as a Mom too. However, thank God for family and friends. We made it through it and there is light at the end of the tunnel.