Opinions on used 2005 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a thought: With a non-ABS, upgrading to braided brake lines is easy, Much tougher with ABS because there are LOTS of lines and fittings. Braided lines made a HUGE difference on my FZ1, with smoother more linear braking. That's because the lines don't expand under pressure.

If the seat's after-market, it may be a Corbin. Corbin seats fall into the love it/hate it category, with no middle ground. I HATE Corbin seats because I don't appreciate how they use concrete instead of foam (LOL).

Windshields are, IMHO, something you always change from stock until you find one that's right for you.

The bike sounds overpriced, but for the right price, if it's sound, you'll have it for years.

Shit...I wouldn't buy a new '05 FJR, let alone a used one. Run, don't walk away!

Ok, ok...I'm totally kidding. That bike looks good. You really can't go wrong. Buy it and have fun!!

Have to agree with the consensus on both price and suitability of a low-mileage '05, non-ABS. I sold one in north Texas for $4,100. Non-ticker, 44K miles, and we replaced the cam chain tensioner. Valve clearance check results were all within specifications. Had Holeshot pipes and a Power Commander. With that low mileage of 18K, $4,000 is a good target price.

To the OP:

Unusual that you do not like silver. It is a very popular color. But color preferences are 100% subjective, so obviously you should get what stirs your soul.

One more thought about the ABS: It is definitely worth having. And you are at a crossroads right now with the ability to walk away from this deal and find another one, maybe a better one, that includes this worthwhile safety feature. Having owned 2 FJRs, both with ABS, I would never even consider one without it. But that too is a personal and subjective opinion.

To the OP:
Unusual that you do not like silver. It is a very popular color. But color preferences are 100% subjective, so obviously you should get what stirs your soul.

One more thought about the ABS: It is definitely worth having. And you are at a crossroads right now with the ability to walk away from this deal and find another one, maybe a better one, that includes this worthwhile safety feature. Having owned 2 FJRs, both with ABS, I would never even consider one without it. But that too is a personal and subjective opinion.
Having owned one FJR (an '05) with no ABS and two with ABS, I'd say that ABS is definitely worth having.

Not having it on the '05 almost bit me in the behind once as I was slowly and carefully approaching a stop sign intersection after a brief rain, easy on the brakes. A small bit of slick stuff combined with the water caused the rear wheel to break free and the bike to want to swap ends. I was able to recover due to lots of time mountain biking and riding dirt bikes over the years and coasted through the intersection (no other traffic). On the other hand, having ABS on my '07 certainly saved my bacon when a lady in an SUV pulled smack out in front of me (doing 60) on a curvy 2-lane highway. The guy on the bike behind me said that he could hear my tires chirping rapidly on the pavement. Bless you ABS.

Also, going just one year newer gets you into a Gen2 bike with better engine heat management. The '05 can roast your legs on a warm day.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP:

Yes I'm not in a hurry. Its early in the year and can wait to see more bikes come up for sale. An ABS makes good sense and while I wait I can save and maybe grow my budget a bit higher..

NONE of these knuckle heads have a clue what they're talking about. Well maybe CanadianFJR does.

Buy it, ride it to a rally.

Rob

The '05 … JSNS !
punk.gif

I dunno but it only seems fitting to follow 101st's post with this comment.....

'05s weren't built very well and don't last long.

IF you're considering a newer model you may be happier in the long run. A slick 05 would be a great bike but the newer models offer a lot more. IF you're on the fence and just want a new bike, offer $4K and ride the heck out of it. Otherwise I'd add another 4K and upgrade.

Also, there may be an 05 out there full of the farkles that you may want to add, might have more miles but you wouldn't be adding more money into an older bike. Depends on how long you want to keep it, next year the 05's will be under $4k.

That said I love my 05, not a minutes trouble and its been a great bike but it's 11 yrs old, no ABS, no cruise. I'm wanting something more up to date and this next bike may be my last. Good luck.

Buy the 05'. If for no other reason, it's 100 lbs. lighter. Abs vs. Non Abs, a discussion that could go on for weeks, bottom line, it you want it, buy it. Price may be a bit high, I sold mine with 60K on the clock (heavily farkled) 18 months ago for $5K on the left coast. Hp pants gave you a good run down what to do initially. After that, check your tire pressure and tread before every ride, keep the oil fresh and ride the tar outa that beast, she can take it.

My FJR has ABS and I love having it, but having said that it's not really necessary on a 650lb bike. Install braided brake lines and tires with more rain grip, and maybe take the MSF advanced rider's class where they teach proper braking techniques. The braided lines don't expand so the response is more linear and predictable. If you can get this bike for $4k and it doesn't have hidden flaws, it's a steal.

Just be thankful it doesn't have integrated brakes. I've never been able to decide if they were developed by idiots or Satan's spawn. You can't ride on dirt, or gravel roads with them! I had a '91 Venture with them--and no ABS and I HATED them! They were the worst feature on the bike.

If you like BLUE... buy it!

If you like SILVER... but an '03 or '04 (non-abs) (cheaper yet!)

If you like ABS ... buy a Gen 3 for $9-10k (and get ALL the latest stuff)
punk.gif

punk.gif
I'm a gadget sort of person so I really like the genIII's. Had a short ride on a 2015 ES and loved it. But thought buying a nice GenII might have made more sense although you never really know. After taking in everybodies advice in I decided against looking at the 05. Its just not the one I'm looking for. I'm going to try and find something a little newer with ABS. Are GenIII's really down to $9-10k? Guess that shouldn't be too shocking. The local dealer has a new 2015 A for about $12,700 and ES for $13,400.

If you like BLUE... buy it!
If you like SILVER... but an '03 or '04 (non-abs) (cheaper yet!)

punk.gif
I have ABS on my silver-blue '04 (forgot what they called it. '03 was Liquid Silver)

I think you have made a good choice, if choosing not to buy the '05 is a choice. For $3,000.00, that is a steal. At the asking price, I'd pass too. Especially if your budget will allow it.

I'm also really glad you think ABS is worth finding the right bike for. We can debate to ABS or not to ABS ad nauseam. I believe that 90% of the riders out there think they are better than they are - certainly including me at times to a fault. When it's necessary to squeeze an find the limit of your brakes, there is no time to question or challenge your technique. You will pull and stomp with all your might and if you have ABS, hopefully it will save you. That is my philosophy. Anyone else is welcome to theirs. I just wish the FJR's linked brakes worked both ways. I'd love to have one rear caliper piston when I squeeze the front brake. That of course would require another round trip of the brake lines, at a unjustifiable cost benefit, to be sure.

In the Common and Historical Info Board, there are pinned threads on the Gen I, II, and III FJR - referred to as "Bin of facts". They are a wonderful reference and placed side by side, offer the most comprehensible comparison of the bikes in the world.

Good luck.

My god that bike is in great shape!

Get the bike man!

I bought an '05 a few months back (no where near as clean as this). I paid $3500, but it's in rough shape fairing wise. The engine appears to be solid, but my shift forks are broke (Probably previous owner abuse). This one looks like it was well taken care of. The KBB is around 5K. See if you can talk them to the low 4s high 3s. Insurance is rather cheap on these bikes (assuming you have a good driving record).

Status
Not open for further replies.