Opinions on used 2005 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 years ago, I bought a 2003 FJR 1300 for $3600 and I love it. All these up grades that everyone talks about may be good but, not really needed. If the bike you are looking at is as good as mine was, with 12,000 miles on it, you will be fine. The upgrades may be great but, in my opion, if you know how to ride and ride carefully when needed, you need them all. My bike had very few added upgrades on it. Handle bar weights and a touring windshield, which I removed, was the only upgrades that it had or has now. I wanted a blue colored bike like you have in your picture, the 2003 only came in silver. I had it painted and showed a picture of it on here. I was called a lair and other things because it is a blue bike. So, take what you are being told about, how you should by a newer bike that has this or that on it with a grain of salt. I like the website and read on it a lot, These guys can be very very helpful buy also very closed minded. If you like this bike and you think it will do what you are looking for, then grab it. I love mine and will not part with it any time soon. It now has 37,000 miles and has given me NO problems!

3 years ago, I bought a 2003 FJR 1300 for $3600 and I love it. All these up grades that everyone talks about may be good but, not really needed. If the bike you are looking at is as good as mine was, with 12,000 miles on it, you will be fine. The upgrades may be great but, in my opion, if you know how to ride and ride carefully when needed, you need them all. My bike had very few added upgrades on it. Handle bar weights and a touring windshield, which I removed, was the only upgrades that it had or has now. I wanted a blue colored bike like you have in your picture, the 2003 only came in silver. I had it painted and showed a picture of it on here. I was called a lair and other things because it is a blue bike. So, take what you are being told about, how you should by a newer bike that has this or that on it with a grain of salt. I like the website and read on it a lot, These guys can be very very helpful buy also very closed minded. If you like this bike and you think it will do what you are looking for, then grab it. I love mine and will not part with it any time soon. It now has 37,000 miles and has given me NO problems!
Wow...What a toxic little jab in an otherwise helpful post. Of course, this isn't the first time you've whined about something perceived as opposed to real. Don't believe me? Take a look here, post #26: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/154226-is-it-just-missing-or-what-is-wrong-with-it/?p=1092430

I believe, "Sorry, my bad." Is very different than calling you a liar. However, now, I will point out that you are, in fact, a liar. You've threatened to leave at least once before. Why don't you do that and take your sniveling bullshit somewhere else?

Three things I want to focus on in this post.

1. "Upgrades not really needed". Almost every response we gave to the OP said exactly that. We all praised the '05 for the wonderful platform it still is. But, the FJR has evolved and improved. Pay more and get more. To imply that these upgrades are not worth the money is spoken from a position of ignorance. Have you ridden a Gen3? Have you ridden a Gen3 on an extended, multi day trip around the US?

I do not need central heat, running water, inside plumbing, or electricity in my house. But all those are worthwhile "upgrades".

2. You were not called a "lair". You were not called a "liar" either. I can think of some very appropriate names for you though if that makes you feel better. "Liar" (or if you prefer lair) would be one place to start.

3. We never said "should buy". We made a respectful attempt to educate the OP about what options are out there.

This forum is nice because it does not show any preference based on year model, money spent, or upgrades done. Respect is given earned based on many factors. We are as quick to assist, inform, and praise a Gen1 owner as we would a Gen3 owner. We love these bikes. It sounds like you are the "close minded" one, not us.

Wow...What a toxic little jab in an otherwise helpful post. Of course, this isn't the first time you've whined about something perceived as opposed to real. Don't believe me? Take a look here, post #26: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/154226-is-it-just-missing-or-what-is-wrong-with-it/?p=1092430

I believe, "Sorry, my bad." Is very different than calling you a liar. However, now, I will point out that you are, in fact, a liar. You've threatened to leave at least once before. Why don't you do that and take your sniveling bullshit somewhere else?
You need to read a little better. Above the post that you have quoted there is a post that called me a liar because I said the bike was a 2003, even though it was blue. The thing is, it was in fun from both of us and it was forgotten!! if not by you then to bad for you to not see that.

Three things I want to focus on in this post.

1. "Upgrades not really needed". Almost every response we gave to the OP said exactly that. We all praised the '05 for the wonderful platform it still is. But, the FJR has evolved and improved. Pay more and get more. To imply that these upgrades are not worth the money is spoken from a position of ignorance. Have you ridden a Gen3? Have you ridden a Gen3 on an extended, multi day trip around the US?

I do not need central heat, running water, inside plumbing, or electricity in my house. But all those are worthwhile "upgrades".

2. You were not called a "lair". You were not called a "liar" either. I can think of some very appropriate names for you though if that makes you feel better. "Liar" (or if you prefer lair) would be one place to start.

3. We never said "should buy". We made a respectful attempt to educate the OP about what options are out there.

This forum is nice because it does not show any preference based on year model, money spent, or upgrades done. Respect is given earned based on many factors. We are as quick to assist, inform, and praise a Gen1 owner as we would a Gen3 owner. We love these bikes. It sounds like you are the "close minded" one, not us.
Upgrades not really needed, yes that is true! The bike is fantastic just the way it is from the factory. The upgrades may be good, I guess you didn't see that, but they are not needed to make the bike perform the way it should FROM THE FACTORY!!! I never said they were not worth the money, or are you putting words in my mouth?? What does asking me if I have rode a Gen3 have to do with a Gen1 bike?? I never said anything about a Gen3 bike. They are fantastic bikes also and, they do have factory upgrades that may make them better. Does that mean I should go get them and add them to my bike?? I like mine the way it is and that is what I have been saying, "you don't need the upgrades to have a great bike!"

If you believe that you do not need central heat, running water, inside plumbing. or electricity in your house, that is up to you. I live in an area that some people do not have those things in their houses but, they get by just fine. Do you have a hunting cabin without one of those things? I belong to one that does not. Do you go to work with a horse and buggy? Some do here and, they are just fine!

I am not trying to, or have I, called you any names. Yes I was called a liar in the posts above what has been posted. You better read before you try to poke fun or, hurt me in some way. That is very immature! I was trying to help out the OP just like you guys were. Just because I don't see everything the same way you two do, is not a reason to fight about it like you two are trying to do!

I have said, which you have both over looked, that this is a great website with great people on it. Most people try to help with question as best as they can. That is why I have read so much on this site. I do not have any thoughts of leaving this site either.

As far as respect, respect is given until it is lost by the person you give it to. Then it would have to be earned back. You two, well you have lost a little from me and you would have to earn that back. I never wanted to start, or tried to start a fight or argument with any one. Just remember, there are 2 ways to look at everything. You both are seeing things one way, yours!

The following is what you sent me in a private email:

Let me help you with the learning to read quest you're on. Here is a copied quote from the post you won't stop bitching about:

"I'm going to say the Sync outlined in the above link will make that bike run 100000000000x smoother.

And I'm surprised that nobody caught the fact that it's not an 03 as the OP said?? No blue in 03, only silver."

Please show me exactly where in that post someone calls you a liar....What you don't know is plenty of people have come on this forum thinking they have one year bike, when in fact they have another. He wasn't trying to be mean, you just took it to heart, like a little girl, and read something into it that wasn't there.

Stop crying about it, because until you do, you are in fact a liar. As for your respect...No thanks. You can stick that anywhere you want. I don't give two shits what you or anyone like you thinks of me. Stop whining and crying, and maybe I'll let you earn a little respect.

Are you trying to pick a fight and, do it so no one else will know what you are doing?

First of, you would have to find someone that wants to fight with you and second, I could care less and don't want to fight with you.

"I'm going to say the Sync outlined in the above link will make that bike run 100000000000x smoother.

And I'm surprised that nobody caught the fact that it's not an 03 as the OP said?? No blue in 03, only silver."

The part above is where I am called a liar. The word "liar" was not written but, what would you think was meant??

Stop crying about it, because until you do, you are in fact a liar. As for your respect...No thanks. You can stick that anywhere you want. I don't give two shits what you or anyone like you thinks of me. Stop whining and crying, and maybe I'll let you earn a little respect.

I am the one that is crying? Nope, not me you are. I don't want the fight and, I don't think this is what the OP was looking for when he asked his question.

and I never bitched about that post. You brought it up, not me!

Obviously one of us is not "getting it".

What I read from Semper Fi is that the OP should buy the '05 because that is all anyone needs and there is no reason to spend any more money to get a newer bike. I also read that if we tell the OP any different we are not to be trusted. I also read a lot of whiny, childish, drivel.

What I want the OP and anyone else who read this to know is that while all FJRs are good there is a reason Yamaha has continually refined this bike. There have been improvements that are well worth the money if the buyer is willing to spend it. With FJRs more money buys newer with more features. Whether those features and upgrades are worthwhile is up to the buyer.

My attempt to simplify with examples was apparently too complicated. I hope I dumbed this one down enough.

What I want the OP and anyone else who read this to know is that while all FJRs are good there is a reason Yamaha has continually refined this bike. There have been improvements that are well worth the money if the buyer is willing to spend it. With FJRs more money buys newer with more features. Whether those features and upgrades are worthwhile is up to the buyer.

My attempt to simplify with examples was apparently too complicated. I hope I dumbed this one down enough.

If you two would have read what I have written, you would have gotten the same thing from me. I do agree with what you have said here. I never said he shouls just go buy the 2005 and not upgrade it at all. I just said that the FJR is a great bike. You two well....... LOL. Enjoy and have fun.

OP, if you get this bike, enjoy it and have fun.

20-playing-chess-with-a-pigeon.jpg

you are correct! Seeing how there is one of me and, two of you that would make you the ...... You fill it in, the clue is in the last post. 6 dots, 6 letters, 3rd word. LMAO

Last edited by a moderator:
The motorcycling community has a widely held opinion of this owners forum, these petty bitch sessions by touchy grumps only serve to confirm them. Grow up boys and girls.

I hope the OP was able to get some good info, my 2005 with 65,000 miles is rock solid. I have maintained it since new and believe the stock suspension to be rubbish. It should be your first investment after the obvious maintenance checks. Enjoy if you decide to get the bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.