Optrix Iphone camera case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderwill

Reaction score
Came across an advertisement for one of these this morning:

https://www.optrix.com/store/optrix-xd5/

Seems like a cheap alternative to other action cams out there and eliminates the need to have one more gadget and associated chargers, mounts etc. The other benefit possibly is just having the phone in a waterproof case when on the bike even when not using the camera.

The video comparisons between this and say a gopro hero3 range from the optrix looking really crappy to one comparison making it look as good, if not better than, the gopro. Was wondering if anyone here had any real world experience.

PS: I searched for a similar topic here before posting just in case this has already been discussed. Honest, I did!

I will be following this thread as I am interested in a GoPro and I am a Mac user.

Just looking at the configuration and mounting options, I would have concerns with the flat (Quite Large) frontal catching wind and causing a serious amount of flutter

with the IPhone.

Came across an advertisement for one of these this morning:
https://www.optrix.com/store/optrix-xd5/

Seems like a cheap alternative to other action cams out there and eliminates the need to have one more gadget and associated chargers, mounts etc. The other benefit possibly is just having the phone in a waterproof case when on the bike even when not using the camera.

The video comparisons between this and say a gopro hero3 range from the optrix looking really crappy to one comparison making it look as good, if not better than, the gopro. Was wondering if anyone here had any real world experience.
While I haven't tried the specific lens/case add-on thing....I do have an iPhone 5 and Go Pro Hero 960.....and Hero 3. The iPhone optics on an iPhone 5 aren't anywhere near what the GoPro 3 is to begin with (or the older 960 IMO). Adding a wider angle lens on top isn't going to improve the optics any....just change the field of view.

$129? Yikes! And the mount looks proprietary and likely only really going to work for this one application.

Try

where the GoPro is definitely not. I'd stick with an iPhone and cheap RAM cradle first and stash when it rains (like I do now)...then jump to a GoPro for more options if I really want to shoot video. There are many used GoPro 2, 960, and others out there that are probably in or cheaper than this option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great comparison! … But your rate of speed causes the bending of telephone poles no matter which video method you use!
rolleyes.gif

The Hess Rd. riding looked somewhat like the "Wild Ass Road" riding that I experienced.