Our trip to the Rockies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellarsteve

Reaction score
I have finally taken the time to figure out the way to posts pictures so I figured I would show a little bit of our trip to the Canadian Rockies and Glacier NP.

In July we hauled the bike from our home in Jacksonville to my parent's farm in NE North Dakota. We dropped the kids and the truck off at the farm and headed out on our trip.

The first day was pretty good but we had to keep and eye out for all the forest rats. I think we counted about 20 before noon. Most of our trip was perfect weather, but the first day was about 97 with about a 30mph side wind. We were glad to get to Moose Jaw where we spent our first night. We stayed at the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa and took a dip in the mineral pool. It was heaven after 500 miles that day.

We got up early and spent a lot of time on roads like this.

SaskStraightaway.jpg

Here is us entering Alberta.

EnteringAB.jpg

We stopped in Calgary for lunch at a cool place downtown near the river.

We then headed west and finally came over a rise and started to see mountains. Kathy was so excited we had to stop and get a couple of pics.

SmallFJRpic-1.jpg

Just northwest of Banff

Banff.jpg

The next couple of nights we stayed at NumTiJah lodge on Bow Lake along the Icefield Parkway.

NumTiJahLodge.jpg

Here is the view from the lodge.

UmTaJahview.jpg

The first morning we got on the bike and it was 39 degrees. This was on July 10th! After a brisk run up the parkway we toured the glacier.

Usontheglacier.jpg

Icefield.jpg

This is the view of the parkway looking south.

IcefieldParkway.jpg

We also visited Lake Louise

LakeLouise.jpg

LakeLouisecanoes.jpg

We then travelled south on 93 entered into British Columbia.

EnteringBC.jpg

Saw some of these along the road

MountainGoats.jpg

We crossed over hwy 3 to 89 down to Glacier NP. There we stayed at Many Glaciers Lodge

ManyGlaciersLodge.jpg

The next day we rode through the park on Going to the Sun Road. It was fantastic

WildGooseIsland.jpg

GoingtotheSunRoad.jpg

We also saw some bighorns in the park.

BighornSheep.jpg

We stayed a couple of days in Helena at a great B&B then sped 1000 miles home with a stop in Medora for the outside musical.

We had great weather, never got rained on and no near misses. But when we got about 10 miles from home while trying to outrun a thunderstorm we turned onto a road they they had just resurfaced and about lost the front end. Saved it and made it home with 10 minutes to spare before a downpour.

It was a trip of a lifetime until our next trip.

Thanks for sharing your pics. I know all the roads you traveled and have been in Banff and Lake Louise, etc. many many times riding, skiing, hiking and climbing, when I lived in Alberta. It truly is gorgeous. The pics brought back many memories. My most favorite area anywhere, is Lake O'Hara, just a few miles west of Lake Louise.

Very nice pix. Thanks for sharing. Luv that northwest country, especially MT. :D

On a side note, did you happen to take 89 thru the Little Belts at any time.

Really, the only time we were on 89 was after we crossed back into the US on Hwy 6 we got on 89 for just a few miles before we turned to get to Many Glaciers Lodge.

Where exactly are you talking about?

It was a trip of a lifetime until our next trip.
Lets see you rode the Icefields Pkwy AND the Going to the Sun Road. Probably two of the most scenic highways on the planet, yeah I'd say a trip of a life time. Then you top it off with the Medora Musical?? Too cool!

A pic from Medora

LORES010.jpg

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! Everyone heads to Banff and posts pictures. Aarrgggghhhhh!

I hate you all.................[SIZE=8pt]mostly 'cuz I'm jealous![/SIZE]

Great pictures and story about your trip.

Maybe I should have said …

did you happen to take 89 thru the Little Belts at any time.
on this trip or on any other bike trip?

The stretch between Monarch and White Sulphur Springs. I like that stretch of road and there are some dirt roads and trails in the area near and before you get to Monarch that I’d like to get my dirt bike :D on.

If ya’ll took 12 out of Helena, on your return ride to ND, until you tied into 94 you may have passed thru White Sulphur Springs.

Maybe I should have said …
did you happen to take 89 thru the Little Belts at any time.
on this trip or on any other bike trip?

The stretch between Monarch and White Sulphur Springs. I like that stretch of road and there are some dirt roads and trails in the area near and before you get to Monarch that I’d like to get my dirt bike :D on.

If ya’ll took 12 out of Helena, on your return ride to ND, until you tied into 94 you may have passed thru White Sulphur Springs.

That is exactly the route we took. Wanted to stay off the slab as much as we could but still make good time. There was one bad spot of road construction on 12. They completely stripped off the old blacktop and were in the process of rebuilding the whole thing for about 10 miles. It was a combination of loose gravel, sand and some packed tracks. We had to follow a lead vehicle and some bitch was followed about 20 feet behind us. I am trying to keep from loosing it thinking "if I do this bitch is going to run us over". Other than that it was a wide open stretch of road but we did see at least 40 antelope along that stretch.

WOW Steve,That is an awesome trip you took.

Seein how you got relatives up there are you going to take another trip up in the future?

I'd love to do one like that someday. Great report and pics. Thank You

WOW Steve,That is an awesome trip you took.Seein how you got relatives up there are you going to take another trip up in the future?

I'd love to do one like that someday. Great report and pics. Thank You
I don't know, we have other parts of the country we want to tour first. I think our next trip will be the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have an aunt that lives in Robbinsville, NC in the summers. Will have to go visit her some time.

Great report and pics. We also toured Glacier National, in 2006. The pic of the lake with the little island is one we took as well....ya gotta love it. Thanks for sharing.

Great report and pics. We also toured Glacier National, in 2006. The pic of the lake with the little island is one we took as well....ya gotta love it. Thanks for sharing.
I have heard it is the most photographed view in Glacier. It is called Wild Goose Island.

WildGooseIsland.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow every time some one post some pics of Canada in the area you just road gets the heart pumping to make want to go ride that area. I have been to GNP and it is awewsome to see and ride.

On a side note I read that shokdimn road through Monarch Mt. I thought I was the only person who found that little towm in the forest. Did you stay at the motel that they have there? It was quite an experience and when I left there I headed for GNP

Great report and pics..