overfilled oil?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched the forum ( a bit ) and haven't found the answer. BUT I've slightly overfilled the engine oil. Ju-u-u-u-ust above the top mark. No more than 1/32" high. Maybe only 1 cm above. What to do???

I've already cursed so pls don't suggest that.

thanx!
ride safe,
g

1/32" is less than 1 mm (not cm). Wouldn't worry about that little bit at all. It will go higher than that once the oil is warmed up (after running the engine).

If it really bothers you, loosen the drain plug and screw it out but DON'T LET GO. Should be able to let a couple ounces out without any danger of dumping the lot. If you aren't sure, do it over a clean pan and you can always pour it back in if you mess it up. Might be easier to do it by loosening the oil filter a turn or two although it would be messier.

1/32" = 0.031 inches. 1 cm = 0.394 inches. Did you mean 1 mm for the metric version? If so, I wouldn't worry in the slightest about it assuming you measured while on the centerstand and not the sidestand.

1/32" is less than 1 mm (not cm). Wouldn't worry about that little bit at all. It will go higher than that once the oil is warmed up (after running the engine).

If it really bothers you, loosen the drain plug and screw it out but DON'T LET GO. Should be able to let a couple ounces out without any danger of dumping the lot. If you aren't sure, do it over a clean pan and you can always pour it back in if you mess it up. Might be easier to do it by loosening the oil filter a turn or two although it would be messier.
yeah, that was kinda my thought; loosen the drain plug until it drips a few seconds and quickly close it back up. Then wipe the excess from the head of the plug. But I was concerned about the crush washer. And since I've 7/10 of a qt (hahahahahaha) of fresh oil I hadn't thought about reusing. But thanx!! It'll make me feel 10 kg better.

yeah, that was kinda my thought; loosen the drain plug until it drips a few seconds and quickly close it back up. Then wipe the excess from the head of the plug. But I was concerned about the crush washer. And since I've 7/10 of a qt (hahahahahaha) of fresh oil I hadn't thought about reusing. But thanx!! It'll make me feel 10 kg better.
I was looking at an online ruler trying to approximate and obv made it more confusing. BUT I'd say 1/32 is pretty close and since few seem to think it a pproblem, I'l probably live with it...until the weather gets really crummy and I'm really bored and wish I could do something motorcycle related. thanx to all!

1/32" = 0.031 inches. 1 cm = 0.394 inches. Did you mean 1 mm for the metric version? If so, I wouldn't worry in the slightest about it assuming you measured while on the centerstand and not the sidestand.
I was looking at an online ruler so I wouldn't have to stand up and look at an actual ruler. I should have let it go at 1/32" But thanx to all!

Last edited:
FWIW, i am currently using a crush washer with 100,000 km on it. Not sure how many oil changes. Never leaks a drop...
YMMV

I think I remember using a thin plastic hose - fish tank or hospital type - to snake into the filler hole and pull a little out. If it is long enough you won't get it in your mouth. :)
Also, I've changed the oil filer without draining the oil - the new filter had a slightly raised center screw hole and leaked when tightened so I had to swap back to the Mobile 1. I have crash bars so I laid the bike on it's right side, removed the filter with no leakage, and simply put on a new one. The removed filter had some oil in it. Also, loosening the filter but no removing it will result in oil leakage at the filter. Not recommended for simply removing some oil - I suggest using some fish tank line.

I think I remember using a thin plastic hose - fish tank or hospital type - to snake into the filler hole and pull a little out. If it is long enough you won't get it in your mouth. :)
Also, I've changed the oil filer without draining the oil - the new filter had a slightly raised center screw hole and leaked when tightened so I had to swap back to the Mobile 1. I have crash bars so I laid the bike on it's right side, removed the filter with no leakage, and simply put on a new one. The removed filter had some oil in it. Also, loosening the filter but no removing it will result in oil leakage at the filter. Not recommended for simply removing some oil - I suggest using some fish tank line.
Thanx!
So many good ideas here for those of us who don't really have any "training" and limited wrenching experience!

I similarly overfilled my BMW last Spring. I thought about the tubing through the oil fill, but couldn't get it past the clutch. I ended up loosening the drain plug, holding on to it and letting a few ounces drain out. I re-used the crush washer. (y)

4 litres if you don’t replace the oil filter…4.5 if you do.
I believe you mean quarts, not litres. Tho I like the brits spelling! And the service manual says 4.2. That's where I goofed up; trying to estimate the 2/10 directly from the marks on side of the bottle rather than measuring it first into a graduated cup. That last 'little" splash is what did it.

and for those following, yes, it does shift better. Tho I have no idea how old the oil was when I bought the bike. The nut on the K&N filter is 17mm, same as the drain. And it does run juuuust a little hotter, as was suggested elsewhere. Cheers to all, and ride safe!

4 litres if you don’t replace the oil filter…4.5 if you do.
I find that 4.0 litres is just about perfect with a new filter and 4 US quarts is just a bit low with filter change.

Anyone besides me find it especially annoying that many (most) oil brands are selling US quarts (946 mL) in Canada instead of a full litre? If I am filling the FJR and happen to be buying the smaller individual bottles, I need to buy five for a complete fill (although plenty of leftover for the next few times).

(I used to buy Rotella T6 in the 5 (US) gallon pail so it wasn't an issue. Lately, I have purchased the 5 litre jugs which is more than enough.)

Last edited: