OW! My Butt! (Bonus Feature--NEW Laam Seat Review)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ride in is definitely the way to go if you are within range of doing one. Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope it works out well for ya'

What kind of a barn door windshield you got on that thing? That's huge!

That's the Calsci "large" screen, Fred. They make it in "wide," too (probably 4 more inches--which he says the pillions love). And "extra large," also with a wide option. This one isn't as big as the V-Stream I had for a while on the '05. I like it very much. Could maybe put the stocker back on for the hottest part of summer, but it really gives plenty of air flow when down. Guess we'll see.

Thanks for the photos and description. Eventually my current seat will wear out/pack down/ become uncomfortable, and it's nice to see what techniques are used to make your tush comfy.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of side tracking into a "delicate" subject, I recently learned the value of using a seamless, dri-fit "base layer" under my riding pants. What a huge difference on top of the Laam seat. I bought a few pairs of the Bilt garmet on sale recently. Highly recommend it.

Something that I've noticed is that I am more comfortable for long times in the saddle in the winter time than in the summer. In winter, I am wearing heavier, thicker riding pants and typically wear fleece sweatpants under along with underwear or LD Comfort shorts. Just for grins I bought a pair of sweat pants and cut them off to make shorts. I can get the same amount of added comfort with them, but they are just too damn hot in the summer months. I'll keep using them in spring and fall.

That windshield belongs on an old man's Wing, like Bugs! JSNS
Wow...that's kinda mean...JSNS
Even my Wing does not have a drive in movie size windshield, and John......
finger.gif

Good looking seat Mike, go ride 500 miles today!

I was actually thinking a whole side of a barn, not just the door..

Nice write-up and pics, glad to see how mine was made.

Rambling observations on seat firmness and support - before I got my RDL (and long before the Laam), I had settled on Corbin for both FZ1s. I tried them all on both bikes. Stock is a joke, "Comfort" is the same joke with a soft gel pad on top. Sargent was soft and better, but still got butt ache after a couple of hours. For me, the firm but supportive Corbins were the most comfortable.

Then I scored an RDL for the '01, built for someone else of course. No matter, it was quite firm - not as firm as Corbin but not as soft as Sargent. The amount of support provided by those wings is a game changer, and I still have that seat on the bike.

Then a guy who made seats for FZ1 riders (and others but thru that forum) made one for my 07 FZ1. Similar process, customized based on what I already knew I liked. He doesn't put wings on like Laam (or RDL), but he tailors it where he can. It is a LOT softer than I was used to, but still very supportive and I still have that seat on that bike, the Corbin is in the basement.

So getting the Laam with the FJR, I was pleased to see it's liked but wondered if it would be "as good" as the RDL on my 01 FZ1. I've put a couple of thousand miles on the bike now, and had a couple of long days in the saddle, and can honestly say it's a toss-up for me. The softer (than RDL) Laam is very supportive, and I have never had to stand up to relieve any ass-ache. It's like sitting on a comfy chair.

So after all that, what am I saying? I think a well designed seat can be hard or soft, wings or not, but it needs to be just that - well designed!

... but you know what they say about opinions.
rolleyes.gif

^^^^^^^ and a certificate from the IBA if you get your paperwork submitted.

Having owned a RDL on my FJR I might try a Laam next time but after my RDL was broken in I had no problems sliding around on my seat during the twisties.

Granted it wasn't like a moving around a stock seat but I wasn't "stuck" in one spot.

It takes a different technique and some getting use to just like when putting a leg down at a stop, but I found the RDL roomy, not planted in one spot. Make a note here that I'm 180#'s

Sounds like you can't go wrong with either, just depends on you personally, similar to finding the right windshield.

That's a good point. I often forget, but when starting to ride more aggressively, I slide up towards the tank - which on the RDL means you're pretty much off the wings..

Granted it wasn't like a moving around a stock seat but I wasn't "stuck" in one spot.It takes a different technique and some getting use to just like when putting a leg down at a stop, but I found the RDL roomy, not planted in one spot. Make a note here that I'm 180#'s

I had an RDL on my Gen 1 FJRs, had no problems moving around near the tank, which I am anyways.

Got a LAAM seat for my Gen 3 for short inseam issues, and it is broken in and feeling fine for the riding I do.( I ain't in the IBA club, but I do ride some.)