Oxford Heaterz Grips - Worked initially, now dead

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLS

Reaction score
Purchased a set of Heaterz grips from Twisted Throttle in February.

Installed in April, worked fine at installation.

Have never used them as it hasn't been cold enough.

Rode to work yesterday, at end of day went to start bike, battery almost dead. Noticed grips were VERY warm.

Thought maybe I had accidentally turned them on, but there was no LED indicating them being turned on. Turned switch on, and LED flashed (I believe indicating the battery level is below 10v, and therefore it will not turn them on), yet the grips were VERY hot.

Pop started bike (not an easy task), rode home, and started checking wires for short, etc. Nothing.

No worn lines, no nothing. So I disconnected the control module via quick disconnect. STILL HEATING THE GRIPS......WTF?

Pulled the negative lead on battery....let them cool off for an hour, went to dinner.

Came back, pulled wiring out from where I had it zip tied up to inspect every inch for a short. NOTHING.

Charged battery fully, hooked up NOTHING but the heaterz grips to the battery.

Did not heat the grips......Good right?

Nope..now not even the switch will turn them on. Plenty of juice to turn bike over (tested).

So I had to pull the whole shebang. Seems to me like a faulty control module, but no way to confirm (I did test the feed to the grips with a VOM meter, and with switch on, I got nothing).

Will twisted throttle replace them? I don't (of course) have original packaging.

Purchased a set of Heaterz grips from Twisted Throttle in February...Will twisted throttle replace them? I don't (of course) have original packaging.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Drop them an email or give 'em a toll free call 1 855-255-5550. Worst they can do is laugh at you
wink.png
Pkg doesn't really matter, they should have a record of the sale to you. They offer a 24 month warranty, butttttttttttt the package and install instructions say:

TO REGISTER ON OUR WARRANTY DATABASE, COMPLETE THE CARD BELOW, PUT IT IN AN ENVELOPE
WITH THE PURCHASE RECEIPT AND SEND IT BY RECORDED DELIVERY TO THE ADDRESS ABOVE WITHIN
SEVEN DAYS OF PURCHASE.

KEEP A COPY OF THE WARRANTY CERTIFICATE WITH PROOF OF PURCHASE IN CASE YOU SHOULD NEED
TO MAKE A WARRANTY CLAIM

Bare Bear in mind, this card is intended for UK owners (Oxford in the UK), but the support email and phone number is for USA sales office in RI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Purchased a set of Heaterz grips from Twisted Throttle in February...Will twisted throttle replace them? I don't (of course) have original packaging.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Drop them an email or give 'em a toll free call 1 855-255-5550. Worst they can do is laugh at you
wink.png
Pkg doesn't really matter, they should have a record of the sale to you. They offer a 24 month warranty, butttttttttttt the package and install instructions say:

TO REGISTER ON OUR WARRANTY DATABASE, COMPLETE THE CARD BELOW, PUT IT IN AN ENVELOPE
WITH THE PURCHASE RECEIPT AND SEND IT BY RECORDED DELIVERY TO THE ADDRESS ABOVE WITHIN
SEVEN DAYS OF PURCHASE.

KEEP A COPY OF THE WARRANTY CERTIFICATE WITH PROOF OF PURCHASE IN CASE YOU SHOULD NEED
TO MAKE A WARRANTY CLAIM

Bare Bear in mind, this card is intended for UK owners (Oxford in the UK), but the support email and phone number is for USA sales office in RI.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll call them after work.

... give 'em a toll free call 1 855-255-5550...the support email and phone number is for USA sales office in RI.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll call them after work.
Noting that you are on Central Time and RI is EST. I would expect anyone that could respond to you will be gone by 5:00 EST.

Last edited by a moderator:
BLS, I'm interested in how things have worked out or are working out for you. Can you let us know? Thank you.

BLS,

Had a set on my 2009 VMax and they worked great. Ran them for 4 years. Took them off the Max to sell it and still have everything except the actual grips which I couldn't get off without wreaking. So......if they won't replace under warranty or you just want backup, shoot me your address via a PM here and I will UPS what parts I have got for free!
rolleyes.gif

Regards, Chuck

BLS,
Had a set on my 2009 VMax and they worked great. Ran them for 4 years. Took them off the Max to sell it and still have everything except the actual grips which I couldn't get off without wreaking. So......if they won't replace under warranty or you just want backup, shoot me your address via a PM here and I will UPS what parts I have got for free!
rolleyes.gif

Regards, Chuck
If BLS isn't interested, I am. Thanks.

UPDATE: Called them yesterday (was on my first LD ride last week out to Michigan and back through the UP).

"No problem" she says. "We'll send you out a new controller and switch. We've had that happen a couple of times."

Just received confirmation that they've shipped.

Twisted Throttle gets "Two Twists" for great customer service.

ETA: Thanks for the offer VMaxChuck. I appreciate it, but it looks like I'll be good to go.