Paint codes and matching a 2005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I recently bought some Galaxy paint from Colorrite and the match sucked - way too blue - a lot like the Cobalt color. I had to blend it with quite a bit of PPG purple to get it right, at least according to my eyes. I just did essjayarr's Smuggler with it. I hope he can't see any difference... :rolleyes:
Gary,

I put the Smuggler on for comparison today. It is overcast and rainy with only natural light (but good light) in the shed. It looks dead on matching. I doubt being outside in the bright sun will show any different. I'll keep you posted.

Steve

essjayarr

Alrighty then, just back from the painter, and have the codes in hand. I have two codes, one is apparently what the Prophet system saw as the closest factory match, and then the one that the Prophet modified to be the match. I won't type out the factory one unless someone wants it. It shows on the tag and a Mazda Blueberry Metallic.

Here is the PPG formula for 2005 FJR Blue:

SKU DESC. INC. (part) Cum. (part) (makes 1 U.S. Pints)

DMD624 VIOLET 156.0 156.0

DMD1675 BLUE 142.8 298.8

DMD1683 BLACK 18.9 317.7

PRL92 BLUE PEARL 9.7 327.4

PRL90 RED PEARL 1.6 329.0

PRL98 WHITE PEARL 1.6 330.6

DBX1689 CLEAR 178.0 508.6

That should be it, hopefully this will help others out. My painters says it is a very close match that blends well and doesn't "do anything stupid" from different angles. Looks exact to me.

Good luck.

ON EDIT:

Maybe a mod can fix this post, it won't let me input the formula as an easy to read table. For some reason it takes all the spacing out, and makes it crammed together. Looked fine on typing and when I edit, but it smashes it on posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks, PFG!!! Good stuff! Absolutely something that needs to go in the bin of facts. It'd be nice if we had some way to get this for all the years, but since mine is an '05 that I've long needed to do some paint work on -- repaint salldle bags and put some Galaxy Blue on the outsides of my '03 silver top box, you've certainly helped me out!!!

BTW, when I hit reply and the format came up on the screen of your quote, the matrix was properly spaced. I cut and pasted that to a word processing format and printed it out for my binder.

Here is the PPG formula for 2005 FJR Blue...
That is exactly what you need to bring to the paint supply house to mix up a batch... A pint will go a long way and I'd be willing to bet that pint cost about $80 or more. Folks - keep in mind, this is a BC/CC urethane base color mix. You must spray a clear urethane topcoat mixed with hardener to complete the project.

Gary,

Folks have been complaining about "soft" paint on FJRs for years. Is it because Yamaha used a less-than-stellar quality clear topcoat?

And are some "harder" than others?

Tnx,

RH

Here is the PPG formula for 2005 FJR Blue...
That is exactly what you need to bring to the paint supply house to mix up a batch... A pint will go a long way and I'd be willing to bet that pint cost about $80 or more. Folks - keep in mind, this is a BC/CC urethane base color mix. You must spray a clear urethane topcoat mixed with hardener to complete the project.
My buddy said it was $40 cost, but the list was $70. He also polished the decals and cleared over them, so they won tarnish again. I hadn't even noticed they were dull. :rolleyes: