PCIII & Wallies Smoothness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Spent the summer riding with Wally's smoothness map and just today re-installed the Bone Stock map. Right off the bat the bike was more viby. Not bad, but noticable in the grips and a little in the seat at various RPM's. She was also more twitchy with throttle control. More like a bike taken off of Ritalin. Power difference was remarkable! I'm now having to control my acceleration through corners more as the rear wheel is more willing to brake traction. Hard accelerations is like unleasheing the beast. All three issues (as stated above) kick in full force and she runs like a raped ape. I think I'll keep her this way for a while...at least until I do the modified airbox.

Wally's Smoothness does the job as claimed and have no regrets using it. It was just interesting to see the differences going back to stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent the summer riding with Wally's smoothness map and just today re-installed the Bone Stock map. Right off the bat the bike was more viby. Not bad, but noticable in the grips and a little in the seat at various RPM's. She was also more twitchy with throttle control. More like a bike taken off of Retlin. Power difference was remarkable! I'm now having to control my acceleration through corners more as the rear wheel is more willing to brake traction. Hard accelerations is like unleasheing the beast. All three issues (as stated above) kick in full force and she runs like a raped ape. I think I'll keep her this way for a while...at least until I do the modified airbox.
Wally's Smoothness does the job as claimed and have no regrets using it. It was just interesting to see the differences going back to stock.

FYI, it's Ritalin.

I'm keeping mine with the smoothness map installed. It's still quick enough for me... :)

Has anyone come up with a "performance" PCIII map? I've been running Wally's and it's nice and smooth but was wondering if someone had done some work on the performance end.

AZ

Spent the summer riding with Wally's smoothness map and just today re-installed the Bone Stock map. Right off the bat the bike was more viby. Not bad, but noticable in the grips and a little in the seat at various RPM's. She was also more twitchy with throttle control. More like a bike taken off of Ritalin. Power difference was remarkable! I'm now having to control my acceleration through corners more as the rear wheel is more willing to brake traction. Hard accelerations is like unleasheing the beast. All three issues (as stated above) kick in full force and she runs like a raped ape. I think I'll keep her this way for a while...at least until I do the modified airbox.

FYI, it's Ritalin.

Mi bad! kerekshon maid

Has anyone come up with a "performance" PCIII map? I've been running Wally's and it's nice and smooth but was wondering if someone had done some work on the performance end.
AZ
The map provided by DynoJet for a stock FJR is supposedly tuned for max power at full throttle.

AZ
The map provided by DynoJet for a stock FJR is supposedly tuned for max power at full throttle.
I've run both. Just wondered if someone had worked on one with a little more attitude.

Thanks!

What I would like to see is a MPG map, and then easily switch maps. For example, I don't need 138rwhp when crossing the Dakotas, and I don't care about MPG when tooling around behind Mt St Helens. I would like to avoid carrying around a laptop.

Is there is even a MPG map?

What I would like to see is a MPG map, and then easily switch maps. For example, I don't need 138rwhp when crossing the Dakotas, and I don't care about MPG when tooling around behind Mt St Helens. I would like to avoid carrying around a laptop.
Is there is even a MPG map?

There is an extra module you can buy from Dynojet that allows you to load two maps. Then the best thing you could do is customs maps for your bike on a dyno. Have them make one map for mileage and one for power.

A switch is added so you can change maps while driving

I have a friend with this setup and he really likes it.

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE (tom b @ Mar 30 2009, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a friend with this setup and he really likes it.
Oh great, you tell me this AFTER I plunk down $1700 at GP suspension? I don't have any money left!

So ... does he have a mileage map? Would you know what sort of mpg he's getting?

I suppose even going back to the stock map will give me back the 7-8 mpg I lost with the PC3.

I suppose even going back to the stock map will give me back the 7-8 mpg I lost with the PC3.
No likely. You won't get those mpg back without loss in drivability. It's either/or deal.

You can use the trim buttons on the PCIII itselft to lean out the mixture for better mpg. But again, you will begin to lose some of the throttle response/drivability gains.

No likely. You won't get those mpg back without loss in drivability. It's either/or deal.
You can use the trim buttons on the PCIII itselft to lean out the mixture for better mpg. But again, you will begin to lose some of the throttle response/drivability gains.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my previous posts. Either/or is fine with me, that's why it would need to be easy to switch back and forth.

Looks like the Power Commander HUB is what I need for about $160. With the stock map it looks like it will pay for itself within two years ... so if a MPG map can get even better mpg, that makes it easier to justify. It would be nice to know what one could expect from a MPG map.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my previous posts. Either/or is fine with me, that's why it would need to be easy to switch back and forth.

Looks like the Power Commander HUB is what I need for about $160. With the stock map it looks like it will pay for itself within two years ... so if a MPG map can get even better mpg, that makes it easier to justify. It would be nice to know what one could expect from a MPG map.
The guy I know that is using a HUB and an economy map is getting around 42 mpg calculated on an 08 when using the ecomomy map. As I said previously these are custom maps made for his bike.

I'm also suffering on MPG. I was using useless pickles calculated smoothness map and my MPGs were about 33-35. I went back to the stock map and wasn't happy with the first 10% of the throttle so I made a map that uses most of the stock map except for the first 10% which uses the map from useless pickles. My MPGs are about 36- 39 now.