Phantom Blue Matte Paint encounter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cdn FJR I lost track in that line of posts and thought it was your bike. I went back and re-read it and see where you were just adding information. Thanks.

Shouldn't that be "crazy, eh?".
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone looking for the Matt Blue Yamaha foot shields I finally tracked down the part number. It is 1MC-283S0-71-00. Looking online it looks like they are only sold in Europe so I ordered a set from England.

Oh and I did much better than the Canadian listed price. They are sold here at 436 for the sliders and 452 for the foot shields. I bought both from England and it only came to $750 cdn with shipping included.

I kinda like the matte blue. Could do without the gloss black bits but still nice.

I forgot to post a follow up. I got my parts in from England in about 4 days. Finally got around to installing them yesterday. I still find it odd we cannot buy color matched foot protectors in North America. Oh well in the end I bought them from England for less than they would have cost over here anyways. The paint match was perfect.

I know that there are a number of '18s & '19s racking up miles.  So far I have been happy with the way the matte has held up after close to 70,000 km including some dirt riding while in Alaska.  I've been careful to use film wrap and Gaffers tape on the tank when using a tank bag but other than that I just wash it with Dawn dish detergent and use a water based Yamaha cleaner for light duty.  Curious on how others are making out with the finish.

Canadian FJR

So far, mine has held up very well. The only place where the matte finish has been degraded is where my knees touch the fairings. There are glossy patches there.

Dan

This rider continues to find the matte to be more fragile than the gloss finish on his previous bike. Of course, it doesn’t help that scratches show white underneath. Not a dealbreaker, but not the same either. The matte blue looks really good, dirty or clean. 

I’ll eventually try the Dr. Beasley’s ceramic for matte, as recommended by Dan H.  

My 2018 recently got a bath after who knows how long, and I had some observations. As noted elsewhere, the Chemical Guy’s Jet Seal Matte is a horror on plastic. Same bike, same color, the jet seal works superbly on the (metal) tank, but leaves heinous chalky streaks on plastic.  These are terribly difficult to remove, even with soap and water.  The streaks are long lasting. This happens regardless of the temperature or humidity at the time of application.  

I recently stumbled across a new post in a detailing forum (many, many mentions of the problems jet seal matte causes on plastic paint or wraps) noting that, if the jet seal matte is removed quickly (ignoring chemical guys instructions), it reduces or eliminates streaking. 

Tried it. Found that if you remove the jet seal matte from the plastic within 60-90 seconds (max) of application, it does not streak. It remains to be seen how much of it actually stays behind, being removed so quickly with no set time. Next time I wash the bike I’ll see how it looks.  

I really like the chemical guys “spray sealant matte detailer”. Does what it’s supposed to when it’s dry and dusty and you’re trying cut the film, and a small bottle works for screens and shields too while I’m on the road.  A rep for Meguiar’s has mentioned in a couple of places that their ultimate quick wax works fine on matte finishes as long as you spray it on a cloth and not directly on the finish.  This is not the case.  The product leaves the finish looking greasy.  No great loss.

I got caught in the rain on a run to the pharmacy (fancy place that sells whiskey). The previously problematic jet seal matte produced notable water repellance and beading, but the trial is contaminated by my employment of the meguiars greasiness in place of the chemical guys matte duster stuff. 

Next time around, I’ll avoid the meguiars, (my matte finish plastics look like they’ve been waxed, in a manner appropriate for matte), but it’s not clear whether that’s the function of the quickly-removed jet seal, or the meguiars stuff I used afterward. 

After that -the Dan man recommended ceramic. 

Has anyone tried F11 yet? They advertise that their stuff is awesome for matt paints and plastics. I don't know how true that is because I don't have anything with matt paint.