Phoenix area-- wanna ride my Goldwing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bike is a Gen2... my friend with a Gen3 also takes his bike there... another buddy takes his '83 Aspencade there...
Check him out... worth the trip.
I will absolutely do that.. thanks for the info!

Thanks to all the information here (and the gutsy decision by Don to let me test ride his bike), the assimilation will be complete by the end of the week. I've decided to keep the Goldwing (at least for now), and move it over in the garage so there's room to park my new-to-me 2008 FJR alongside. I'll be flying up to Portland on Friday morning, then making the 1500 mile commute home on the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or where to get service?
Oh, fuck.
Out of hibernation??

--G
Oh just great, our favorite Alaskan Douche-Umiak is back! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ya-ta-hey!

My bike is a Gen2... my friend with a Gen3 also takes his bike there... another buddy takes his '83 Aspencade there...
Check him out... worth the trip.
I will absolutely do that.. thanks for the info!

Thanks to all the information here (and the gutsy decision by Don to let me test ride his bike), the assimilation will be complete by the end of the week. I've decided to keep the Goldwing (at least for now), and move it over in the garage so there's room to park my new-to-me 2008 FJR alongside. I'll be flying up to Portland on Friday morning, then making the 1500 mile commute home on the FJR.
Denny, Congratulations! JSNS!

Flib, if you need a place to stay in southern Oregon let me know. We added a mattress to our house just recently. Never mind the hedgehogs on the wheel late at night. I'm about twenty minutes off of I-5 just north of Medford.

Wow, thanks for the invite, but it looks like ambient temps will be 10+ degrees cooler if I take the eastern route (I-84, through the corner of Idaho, then down through Salt Lake City). Distance is about the same (1480 miles), scenery should be great (through Columbia River Gorge, and later I'll be on the road that goes by all the national parks in southern Utah).

Guess I'd better at least try to get some sleep, since I have to be up in four hours to head to the airport. Don't know how successful I'll be-- excited about the bike, and about the trip as well!

Flib, if you need a place to stay in southern Oregon let me know. We added a mattress to our house just recently. Never mind the hedgehogs on the wheel late at night. I'm about twenty minutes off of I-5 just north of Medford.
odot loves to barbecue! Oh Boy, baby seal burgers with a sea kelp salad and whale blubber for dessert! odot is a Master Chef of Northern Lights Cuisine, eh!

Assimilation is complete!

Plane got in early, Dana was waiting, and we headed off to Hillsboro. Bike is pristine, as advertised, and Dana couldn't have been more gracious-- he even did a temporary install of my Zumo for me while I was packing things up (it's on the Techmount stem mount with an automotive suction cup for now, powered off the cigarette lighter. I'll replace that with the hardwired bike cradle when I get home).

Hit the road around 1:00pm, spent the first 90 minutes in bumper-to-bumper traffic as I made my way back to and through Portland. Things opened up after that and it was a beautiful ride through the Columbia river gorge. Got a little warm for awhile (bike thermometer showed 105), but I'm used to that. Made it to Pendleton before deciding to call it a day, probably end up somewhere in the vicinity of Salt Lake City tomorrow.

Thanks again to Don, Dana, and everyone else who checked in with tips and advice that took me from FJR curious to full assimilation, in very short order! I have a feeling the Goldwing will be gathering dust for awhile...

Denny

Outstanding!

Great choice of a route back to PHX - a "honeymoon" that you won't forget.

Don't worry about your Goldwing. That's why god made battery tenders.

Home and after 1500+ miles, very happy with both the machine and the ride.

Worst part-- rode 200 miles in light to moderate rain, which included all of the greatly anticipated two-lane blacktop portion of the route through southeastern Utah. Was determined to make it to Page, though, because rooms are scarce and I had a nonrefundable reservation. It's their "high season" and even though all I wanted was a bed to sleep in, I had to pay Best Western's AARP rate of $256 for the night. Ouch.

Best part-- the 80mph speed limits on the interstates through Idaho and Utah, which I tested just a little (max speed shown on the Garmin is 123mph). Also, Lake Mary Road, from Flagstaff down to Payson, gorgeous two-lane blacktop, nobody on it but me, and the temperature was 75 degrees. It'll be a few months before I see those kind of temps locally!

Farkling is already fairly complete for my taste (https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/159072-fs-2008-fjr1300-13k-miles-loaded-wextras-in-oregon/), but while I like the fact that the bike has been lowered 1", the stock side stand puts the bike close enough to vertical that it makes me nervous. I'll have to look into options for adjusting that to a comfortable angle.