Photo's of how to get under the Tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am finally going to do the return throttle spring release this weekend on my 2008. The old sore wrist has convinced me to release a little tension off the throttle. My only concern is that the spring will ONLY unwind one revolution and not slip past the tang creating more problems? Anyone out there care to comment and give me some reassurance?
I've done two FJRs, both gave exactly the wanted result. I believe some people have had the spring unwind two turns (though how you count that at the rate the spring goes I don't know
unsure.gif

Some have reported the spring isn't tight after the unwind (might be because they unwound twice? See counting above!), and some have reported the throttle doesn't snap shut as it did. There doesn't seem to be much correlation between number of turns unwound, tightness of the spring afterwards, and snap-back of throttle.

My take is that the majority work according to plan, but there is a risk of the result not being what was wanted. But, of course, whenever I get on the bike there's a risk of the result not being what was wanted
wink.gif
. Having said that, every time I get on the bike I'm pleased I unwound the spring
tongue.gif

I am finally going to do the return throttle spring release this weekend on my 2008. The old sore wrist has convinced me to release a little tension off the throttle. My only concern is that the spring will ONLY unwind one revolution and not slip past the tang creating more problems? Anyone out there care to comment and give me some reassurance?
I've done two FJRs, both gave exactly the wanted result. I believe some people have had the spring unwind two turns (though how you count that at the rate the spring goes I don't know
unsure.gif

Some have reported the spring isn't tight after the unwind (might be because they unwound twice? See counting above!), and some have reported the throttle doesn't snap shut as it did. There doesn't seem to be much correlation between number of turns unwound, tightness of the spring afterwards, and snap-back of throttle.

My take is that the majority work according to plan, but there is a risk of the result not being what was wanted. But, of course, whenever I get on the bike there's a risk of the result not being what was wanted
wink.gif
. Having said that, every time I get on the bike I'm pleased I unwound the spring
tongue.gif
Thanks for the reassurance, I'll give it a go this weekend. Thanks again.Cheers...Love your country and the Ale!

I finally got around to lifting my tank for the first time today...thanks for this post! Made it pretty simple for sure.

I did have a couple problems though. When trying to reinstall the 2 upper tank mount bolts, I found them a PITA to get started without cross-threading them. I endded up strattling the bike while it was on the center stand, and used my legs to nudge the tank forward while I started them.

I was able to get them started fairly easy like that, but just after I snugged them down and got off the bike, I kicked something on my garage floor...yep, the damn T-bar. I felt like an idiot. I guess that's what I get for trying this for the first time with a pretty nasty hang-over...haha!

I finally got around to lifting my tank for the first time today...thanks for this post! Made it pretty simple for sure.
I did have a couple problems though. When trying to reinstall the 2 upper tank mount bolts, I found them a PITA to get started without cross-threading them. I endded up strattling the bike while it was on the center stand, and used my legs to nudge the tank forward while I started them.

I was able to get them started fairly easy like that, but just after I snugged them down and got off the bike, I kicked something on my garage floor...yep, the damn T-bar. I felt like an idiot. I guess that's what I get for trying this for the first time with a pretty nasty hang-over...haha!
Did you slacken the tank's rear fastener? Otherwise you tend to bend the brackets and that makes it really difficult to align the front.(Click on image for larger view)

0_DSCF5731_enhanced.JPG

First posted this in post 30 of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to this most excellent guide, and some info from gixxerjasen, I did the throttle return spring mod today. Too wet to go ride, but I can tell that the throttle turns with much lower effort. I'm looking forward to seeing if this also smooths out my takeoffs and lower speed shifts. I used a string to control the rotation of the spring; you can read about my minor travails HERE.

Working under the tank is a challenge: Close spaces, small parts, poor light. I'd love to have gotten a picture of me working with my head stuffed under the tank.

And I'm totin' a serious noggin here...

And that's me hundredth post!

One more thanks for the pile! I just did this today and really appreciated the instructions. I'm also not very comfortable working on my bike, but this went smooth. Throttle releases fine. Took just a short ride, but I think I can tell a difference with a smoother throttle. Won't know till a longer ride if I still need to think about G2 or power commander.

Thank you for creating such detailed instructions. I decided to remove the tank, as it's only one more bolt and the two hoses, much easier to get at everything and really get a good view of what you're doing. I put a piece of safety wire on the spring to make sure it only unwound once, but it wasn't necessary, as mine is one of those that the spring doesn't contact the spring tang after a single unwind revolution. At first I was having trouble with the throttle snapping back, but I cleaned everything around the spring area thoroughly and did a super clean and lube on the cables. Now it snaps back great and the performance is perfect. I also have the G2 throttle body and a Vista Cruise and couldn't be happier.

My last two bikes were a carbureted Concours 1000 and a fuel injected V-Strom. From what I can tell, fuel injection just isn't as smooth and precise as carburetors. Although my FJR is much improved, and my V-Strom was only a little touchy, both fuel injected bikes are no where near as easy to control at low speeds as the old Concours.

Another thanks for posting this, it really helped me out today and made the job easy.

Note to self, don't do this right after filling the gas tank. Doh!

Second note to self, if the tank bolts don't line up afterward, loosen the rear bolt! Doh! Doh!

Add me to the long list of those who did the throttle spring unwind, and could not have done so without the excellent photos !

My wrist, in the early stages of carpel tunnel, is very happy !
smile.png

Thank you !

Does anyone have a copy of the original photos for this thread? As of 3/12/2018 all I see is a throttle icon about 3rd party embeds from photobucket and my wrist is aching to do this mod. Any help much appreciated.

All my best,

Joyride