Pilot Road 4's are here

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dependable grip even in challenging conditions

• 2 Compound Technology with all new silica-charged rubber compounds for excellent grip from 23°F to 113°F
So what happens when it's over 113 degrees F here in Arizona?
Based on the statement, I would conclude that above 113 F the grip is not excellent.

Bet them there will be some pricey bastards. And here we go again with the whole 'stiffer version' debate!
I gotcher STIFFER version ryhcheer buddy!
Quit whining and finish riding the heck out of your seven year old Avon Azarro stock...

biggrin.png

Pre-Order Status, but interesting price points for the PR4 and PR4 GT from Competition Accessories. Haven't checked for cheaper sources, but since they have all 3 models of PR the relavistic cost is the important data here.

If Michelin's claim of extended tire life compared to PR3 is, in fact, true...they seem favorable from a cost-benefit case. Of course we all have our own anecdotal baggage....and mine involves smoldering remains of a PR3 after 2700 miles of surreal service and hiking 11 miles to town. Might still be interested in trying a set of the PR4 GT and see if I can make them smoke too.
smile.png

Front

PR2 - $124.99

PR3 - $139.99

PR4 - $136.99 ($3 less than PR3)

PR4 GT - $140.99 (essentially same as PR3 and $4 more than non GT)

Rear

PR2 $159.99

PR3 $175.99

PR3 B $199.99

PR4 $174.99 ($1 less than PR3)

PR4 GT $179.99 ($20 less than PR3 B and $5 more than non GT)

Last edited by a moderator:
It simply amazes me there are so many opinions to such a single subject. I didn't buy the 4's. I got to look at a set in person the other day. I thought people on the forum would like to see an actual picture of the product and know the tires were actually in the states and could be purchased. The PR3's have been great tires on the bike "for me". I already have a set of Angel GT's ready to spoon on when spring time arrives. I'm not stuck on one brand and just thought I'd try the Angel's and compare them to the PR3's. For now, I'll just ride my snowmobile and enjoy winter.

I have previously lost faith in the PR3 hype. I get more mileage out of a set of PR2's despite Michelin's claim that the PR3's will give you "30% more wear longevity" over the PR2. In my real world test of both tire designs that simply was not true for me (others might get different results based on weight, riding style, road conditions...etc). I get about 10-15% more tread wear longevity with PR2's.

Also with the PR3 and now the PR4 design, both tires have those additional horizontal "rain sipes" in the design for better wet riding contact. That may be true. However there is a downside to those as well. What happened on my last set of PR3's was that after 4,000 miles on the front tire, it started to cup (I check my air pressure before every ride) and those horizontal rain sipes started to slightly bulge and I got all that rough feedback in my handlebars which was unsettling when riding aggressively in the twisties.

Also when you look at the front tire center compound design of the PR2 vs the PR3...the PR2 actually has 10% more width over the PR3 (60% vs 50%). So to me having the wider center contact patch, no cupping horizontal rain sipes, and lower cost, my real world comparison of both sets of tires based on my bike setup & riding style anyways...I still consider the Old PR2 the better Michelin tire. I'm not sure the PR4 would fare any better?

I'm currently running Bridgestone 023GT's to see how they do in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also when you look at the front tire center contact patch design of the PR2 vs the PR3...the PR2 actually has 10% more width over the PR3 (60% vs 50%). So to me having the wider center contact patch, no cupping horizontal rain sipes, and lower cost, my real world comparison of both sets of tires based on my bike setup & riding style anyways...I still consider the Old PR2 the better Michelin tire. I'm not sure the PR4 would fare any better?
Just an FYI the percentages shown in the above chart represent the rubber compounds not contact patch.

The bias seems to be PR2's or longevity...... there's a downside for that, but nothing wrong with them if that's what you like. I prefer mine stickier on dry and in the wet, less mileage is OK....... I like the tread patterns on the 4 better than the 2 or 3, and I'll give 'em a try at the next opportunity.

The bias seems to be PR2's or longevity...... there's a downside for that, but nothing wrong with them if that's what you like. I prefer mine stickier on dry and in the wet, less mileage is OK....... I like the tread patterns on the 4 better than the 2 or 3, and I'll give 'em a try at the next opportunity.
Says the guy running a car tire.... :p

Says the guy running a car tire....
tongue.png
He must mean on the front only, once a Dsider, always a Dsider!

I'm surprised no one mentions the most visible point of the PR4s. The change in tread. Here's how I see things.

PR2 - Have been an excellent tire. Many on here have bragged about them being their first choice. Certainly the larger majority including myself. I ride pretty hard. At least one wheelie every day that I ride and 90% of riding is with the sport bike group. Which tend to be behind me trying to catch up. From a grip perspective, I can lift the front tire on a wet road on a cold tire. Only twice have I lost grip when temperatures were about 2 C.

PR3 - In dry weather absolutely no difference on grib or ride. I did find them not to last as long. In wet weather no difference on performance for me but Michellin is not stupid so I would imagine those smaller treads do make a difference in the rain when your in the situation that requires them. If you are going to ride a lot in the rain, consider these. If you avoid the rain then I don't any advantage and a few disadvantages compared to the PR2.

PR4 - One of the main reasons I liked the PR2s was the symmetrical tread pattern. I personally think I have less scalloping of the tires on a PR2 because of the symmetrical tread. But all tires scallop some simply because tires wear more along the ridges of the tread pattern. What I'd argue with anyone is that the symmetrical tread keeps you from getting the wobble in your handle bars once that scalloping starts. So no PR4s for me.

I'm surprised no one mentions the most visible point of the PR4s. The change in tread. Here's how I see things.
PR2 - Have been an excellent tire. Many on here have bragged about them being their first choice. Certainly the larger majority including myself. I ride pretty hard. At least one wheelie every day that I ride and 90% of riding is with the sport bike group. Which tend to be behind me trying to catch up. From a grip perspective, I can lift the front tire on a wet road on a cold tire. Only twice have I lost grip when temperatures were about 2 C.

PR3 - In dry weather absolutely no difference on grib or ride. I did find them not to last as long. In wet weather no difference on performance for me but Michellin is not stupid so I would imagine those smaller treads do make a difference in the rain when your in the situation that requires them. If you are going to ride a lot in the rain, consider these. If you avoid the rain then I don't any advantage and a few disadvantages compared to the PR2.

PR4 - One of the main reasons I liked the PR2s was the symmetrical tread pattern. I personally think I have less scalloping of the tires on a PR2 because of the symmetrical tread. But all tires scallop some simply because tires wear more along the ridges of the tread pattern. What I'd argue with anyone is that the symmetrical tread keeps you from getting the wobble in your handle bars once that scalloping starts. So no PR4s for me.
Some very good points here, and with the exception of the wheelies (at least not as regularly as you) I'm similar...unless the guy(s) on the Gixxers/R1/FZ1, etc actually is a good rider vs. a squid.

As for the wobble, especially when the front starts to wear, the Allballs Roller Bearing upgrade WILL totally eliminate this, no matter how badly worn the front tire is. It also helps to stabilize the front when you are not "riding" it. I can go down to practically a stop with no hands on the bars no matter what stage of wear the front is in now. Before (with the side cases and an E52 Givi topbox) I'd be lucky if I could take my hands off the bars on a new front, let alone after some wear.

I'll guinea pig 'em if I can get them, my supplier hasn't listed them yet. Due for a set of tires. And to quell the rumours, I am going to put a MC tire on the back...... at least one, I'm investigating my ABS issues...... there is a new Exalto in the shop tho....