Pilot Road 4's are here

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delete. Never mind. I don't know why I thought I should join this argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, 20% greater than 2700 miles would be 3240 miles... Probably not Iggy approved.
no.gif

I tried a set of the PR3 Trails on my Super Tenere and was not impressed. 6500 or so miles and the rear was shot, and it went away very fast at the end. Only a couple of hundred miles from wear bars to cords, which I found surprising. I won't be trying the PR4s.

My ordered PR4's came in to my dealer last Friday. They will be mounted in a couple of weeks but won't be testing them anytime soon (still in sled mode).

And not needing to fat-side the rear either, 190/55 is the norm on the new toy
punk.gif

PR3 medium to soft, center to edge.

PR4 hard to medium, center to edge.

GACK.

I like soft side compounds!

Bubble1.jpg

Man, that is one seriously dorky lookin' set of exhaust cans!!
It makes me extremely nauseous to agree with RadioHowie on anything, but I'm running Remux HexCarbon exhausts and my seriously dorky looking' set of exhaust cans are sitting on a shelf in my garage! I'm spooning on a set of the Road 4's after next month's ride to Mexico, need fresh tires before April leaving for the Austin GP in Texas! Michelin PR3's really didn't impress me, ese! JSNS!

REBMWK1600GTHexCarbon4.jpg

I thought this might be of interest and sorta in line with the PR4 topic -

Many of us still run PR2s and 3s and will continue to do so for awhile yet. I basically buy the 2s because of price/value. There are cheaper tires, but IMO the value isn't as good because they don't last as long. The PR4 discussion has come up on LDR and concerns over the age of existing older PR2/3. So, with this said - read what one posted on LDR:

"It had occurred to me that I might be getting old tires when I buy PR2s, but I have seen them for so long that I assumed that Michelin continues to produce them over time to appeal to price sensitive customers. I called Michelin this morning at 866-866-6605, and their motorcycle tire representatives told me that:

* Michelin is still manufacturing PR2s.
* Michelin ships tires from their warehouse inventory in oldest to newest order.
* Tires in their warehouse are no more than one or two months old. The tires that Michelin is shipping now were made in November or later.
* Obviously, the age of tires in distributor and dealer stocks vary. It is possible that a tire has been sitting unsold at the dealer for years. Caveat emptor.
* The representative told me that he anticipates that Michelin will discontinue PR2s within a few months, because the new Pilot Road 4 is now available. He told me that when Michelin releases a new model, they continue to manufacture the two previous models. Two or three months after they begin production on the new model, they discontinue the oldest of the two previous models. In general, they keep two models in production (current and previous) at any given time. He has not seen any specific information that PR2s will be discontinued yet - it is merely an educated guess based on experience.

Special notes about "B" rear tires:
* BMW specifies a special "B" type rear tire for my K1200GT. There is no such thing as a "B" type front tire. The B rear tires have an extra ply, which strengthens and stiffens the sidewall for heavy loads, and give a stiffer ride. Because of the extra ply, the tread is not quite as thick, and the B tires do not last quite as long, but the difference is not all that great. The B tires cost more.
--> * Michelin recently discontinued the PR2 B type rear tires. They are still making the non-B type tires.
* The representative could not determine the most recent date that PR2 B rears were manufactured.
"

I just ordered a set of PR2s. I didn't really like PR3s.I guess I'll have to try the PR4s eventually.

I thought this might be of interest and sorta in line with the PR4 topic -
Many of us still run PR2s and 3s and will continue to do so for awhile yet. I basically buy the 2s because of price/value. There are cheaper tires, but IMO the value isn't as good because they don't last as long. The PR4 discussion has come up on LDR and concerns over the age of existing older PR2/3. So, with this said - read what one posted on LDR:

"It had occurred to me that I might be getting old tires when I buy PR2s, but I have seen them for so long that I assumed that Michelin continues to produce them over time to appeal to price sensitive customers. I called Michelin this morning at 866-866-6605, and their motorcycle tire representatives told me that:

* Michelin is still manufacturing PR2s.

* Michelin ships tires from their warehouse inventory in oldest to newest order.

* Tires in their warehouse are no more than one or two months old. The tires that Michelin is shipping now were made in November or later.

* Obviously, the age of tires in distributor and dealer stocks vary. It is possible that a tire has been sitting unsold at the dealer for years. Caveat emptor.

* The representative told me that he anticipates that Michelin will discontinue PR2s within a few months, because the new Pilot Road 4 is now available. He told me that when Michelin releases a new model, they continue to manufacture the two previous models. Two or three months after they begin production on the new model, they discontinue the oldest of the two previous models. In general, they keep two models in production (current and previous) at any given time. He has not seen any specific information that PR2s will be discontinued yet - it is merely an educated guess based on experience.

Special notes about "B" rear tires:

* BMW specifies a special "B" type rear tire for my K1200GT. There is no such thing as a "B" type front tire. The B rear tires have an extra ply, which strengthens and stiffens the sidewall for heavy loads, and give a stiffer ride. Because of the extra ply, the tread is not quite as thick, and the B tires do not last quite as long, but the difference is not all that great. The B tires cost more.

--> * Michelin recently discontinued the PR2 B type rear tires. They are still making the non-B type tires.

* The representative could not determine the most recent date that PR2 B rears were manufactured. "
The "two generation" old tires discontinuing theory is contradicted by the fact that (at least in Europe) the Pilot Road (mono-compound) tire is still widely available. I talked to the dealer who usually provides me my PR2s (which, btw, I'll keep using as long as they will be available on the market) and he told me that the "simple" PR still has success for the budget oriented bikers (very long life for very low price but with lower grip than PR2)...

The PR-3 tires are excellent. I get app 7k from the rear. A friend got 14k from the front, it was totally shot but at 12k still just ok. I have tried the PR-4 tires and will go back to the 3's next tire change. There is a sound from the tread pattern I do not like, not real bad just don't like it. The real issue is going to be with the front the left side shows signs of cupping at 4k, the 3's never did that. They say the 4's will give better mileage, at this point I do not see that to be the case. The back tire is usually gone by 6500 or 7000 miles with the 3's or 4's. I always run 36 F & 38 R. I believe the PR-3 is the best tire I have ever used on any bike.

Well, I just got a set of PR4's about 2 weeks ago. My shop told me they (2's) were not produced any longer. I got about 14,000 (from 98,XXX to 112,2XX) out of my rear PR2. I hope the 4 lives up to the 2's reputation.

The tire pictured is a Road 3 with 12,500 miles. I could go another 1000-2000 more miles on it. It has been OUTSTANDING. Handles great with great milage. I am going to install a set of Angel GT's next. Why? Just to try out another tire is the only reason. Would I suggest PR 3 or 4's? Hell yeah. I am an average rider. Not the fastest, not the slowest (like Marcus, lol). I ride twisties in the Mountains with the best of them. I also get stuck on the interstate traveling for work. Great tires, enough said.

I'm running a mix of PR2 & 3. The front PR2 currently has 9600 miles on it and looks like it's got another 1-2k left, if not more. The rear PR3 has 11,200 miles on it and has a tiny bit of the middle siping left in it...I'll definitely be changing it before the May Appalachian camping trip, but for now, it's looking ok. When it comes time to change, I'll take whatever happens to be available at the time whether it be a PR2, 3, or 4....I've grown to love this series.

Here's a hypothesis: The people who are getting good mileage from PR3 tires are doing so on straight up highway / commute riding. And those who are complaining about them having worse mileage may not ride on the highway much?

As for PR2's being NLA, someone ought to tell Michelin this bit of breaking news, since they still list the PR2 on their product selector web page. ;)

I'm sure them PRIVs are fine, butt theyz expensive 'n PRIIIs suck donkey balls.

If'n anybody wantz good tires at a reasonable price, check out the Bridgestone T30s fer $224 a set of GT spec https://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_82_1078 or wherever?

Can't speak fer the mileage, but they turn in much better than PR IIs or IIIs, and are very neutral mid corner w/ plenty of grip.

I'm not trusting the expiration dates on the PR2's that are still out there. I ordered a set of PR4's and installing them on Tuesday. Hope they last as long as the 2's.

I have over 13K on my PR2's right now and there's still thread left but, it's getting close. Getting ready for the Key Wesf run shortly and EOM after that! :))